Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Maguire: I don't know if I'll keep starting place

mizer

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/10/25/i-don-t-know-if-i-ll-keep-starting-place-despite-hibs-showing-admits-aberdeen-hitman-chris-maguire-86908-22657219/

CHRIS Maguire admits he doesn't know if his stand-out show against Hibs will guarantee he continues to spearhead Aberdeen's attack.

The Scotland Under-21 star hopes his superb opener at Pittodrie will convince Mark McGhee he can solve his striking problems.

Last season the manager decided the hitkid had no part in his plans and loaned him to Kilmarnock even though the Dons were short of firepower.

And when the chance arose this term, Andrius Velicka was brought in and Maguire deployed wide.

But for the Lithuanian's lack of match fitness, Maguire probably would still have been used there instead of exposing Hibs' central defenders with his pace and movement.

The striker, whose contact expires at the end of this season, said: "I don't know if I've won over the manager.

"The spell at Kilmarnock helped me and was a turning point. At that time, I was not playing as much as I wanted at Aberdeen - in fact, I've played more games this season than all of the last here.

"I have to thank Jimmy Calderwood and Kilmarnock for giving me the chance to play regularly and score.

"Playing in my natural position up front helps me get goals.

"If I'd been on the right wing I might not have got into an area to score. It was a good move with Sone Aluko and I was happy to get on the end and finish.

"I am happy just to be in the team but I am a better player through the middle where I can hold the ball up or turn defenders and have a strike.

"But the manager knows himself I am better through the middle and I delivered. He told me at the start of the week he'd play me there and I was buzzing in training.

"Scott Vernon and I were a good partnership."

Can't argue with any of that. He deserves to keep his place. He hasn't let himself down recently when he has been deployed there. Also seemed to come across quite well in that interview I thought and the fact he realises that he needed to prove himself at Killie is definitely a good thing. Keep it up Maguire.

But obviously this is all McGhee dependent. Allow it to grow and prosper please!

But obviously this is all McGhee dependent. Allow it to grow and prosper please!

The fact he is starting to prosper as he is headed out of contract is a worry.

Still a young lad despite having been around our first team for four years or so. Hopefully he sees the merit is signing up for another couple of years to develop further.

The fact he is starting to prosper as he is headed out of contract is a worry.

Still a young lad despite having been around our first team for four years or so. Hopefully he sees the merit is signing up for another couple of years to develop further.

I did think about that recently and think I mentioned it on another thread, we just have to hope he realises that it could be worth staying around for a while longer.

He's already shown enough to earn a new contract in my opinion. Make sure it's a basic contract which is fluffed up with lucrative incentives for goals and good performances. And put in a good percentage of any future sell-on fee for Aberdeen, just in case.

Simple.

He's already shown enough to earn a new contract in my opinion. Make sure it's a basic contract which is fluffed up with lucrative incentives for goals and good performances. And put in a good percentage of any future sell-on fee for Aberdeen, just in case.

Simple.

I may be jumping the gun a bit here but I don't think Maguire will sign another deal with us.

It's a shame he's out of contract at the end of the season - but I don't really blame the club for that. In the last season or two, he simply hasn't merited a new offer. Now, though, the club should pull the finger out and offer him a new deal, as he actually deserves one.

FFS

This is exactly what i was talking about, had his best game in an aberdeen jersey and now this

What a fucking prick - shut the fuck up and get on with it you fucking clown.

Yer worse than me m8!

Im nae a MaGuire fan at all, bit he wis good on Sat. FFS they qoutes are fae the Daily ranger, and dae you want oor team to hae na confidence?