Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Nicholson, Miller, Aluko & Walker - all leaving

Kowalski

Guest bloo_toon_red

Because most footballers in Scotland want to be based in the central belt or as close to that as they can get. Aberdeen is a pretty unattractive place to move to in that respect.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement is it not?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a bit of a sweeping statement is it not?

Of course it is but I also think its true. Most people from the central belt see Aberdeen as the Siberia of Scotland. Its grim, its cold, theres not much to do and the people are pretty hostile to anything or anyone south of Cove as well. Why trade that in for whats available already in the central belt? Thats why players Like Lee Miller and Steve Crawford do the rounds elsewhere before they finally bite the bullet and make the move north.

Of course it is but I also think its true. Most people from the central belt see Aberdeen as the Siberia of Scotland. Its grim, its cold, theres not much to do and the people are pretty hostile to anything or anyone south of Cove as well. Why trade that in for whats available already in the central belt? Thats why players Like Lee Miller and Steve Crawford do the rounds elsewhere before they finally bite the bullet and make the move north.

Plus i'm told they are all miserable cunts  ;)

Guest bloo_toon_red

Its grim, its cold, theres not much to do and the people are pretty hostile to anything or anyone south of Cove as well.

And again.

You're letting your own personal dislike of Aberdeen cloud your judgement of its attractiveness to professional footballers.

Professionals in alot of other industries for which Aberdeen is well known for go to Aberdeen from far and wide.  Having a top-class SPL football team (stop sniggering at the back) comes into that bracket too.

"I hope he enjoys playing in Aberdeen on a cold rainy night" is a typical quote aimed at players moving to the SPL from England. Why do they always choose aberdeen as the cold rainy place?

I dont mind Aberdeen. I love the team, dont mind the city, but find the attitude towards outsiders borderline medieval. Its got very little to offer a twenty something footballer asides from neddy pubs and clubs. Trumps golf course could change that though, Aberdeen needs investment to make it more attractive.

I think it works both ways though - some of the attitude amongst incomers and the student population is very ignorant towards the local population without knowing anything about us - you could say "borderline medieval".

And thats because of the image Aberdeen has. Cold, wet and generally depressing. The Granite City isnt a tag that incites anything more than a negative image. Aberdeen needs to be re-vitalised.

Guest bloo_toon_red

"I hope he enjoys playing in Aberdeen on a cold rainy night" is a typical quote aimed at players moving to the SPL from England. Why do they always choose aberdeen as the cold rainy place?

People from London say it about Manchester, people from Glasgow say it about Aberdeen, it's all about the perceived superiority complex from people living in larger cities.  It may be cold, but it's one of the driest towns in Scotland.

I moved to Glasgow for more opportunities in my line of work and I'd have absolutely no qualms about moving back.  Similarly you will get professional footballers biting AFC's hands off if they feel it will further their careers.  For those who choose a football club purely down to geography, more fool them.  All about work/life balance I know, but the real winners will want to play for the bigger and better teams.

What you are talking about is more to do with social commentary rather than why footballers choose what team to play for.  You could equally ask yourself how the fuck Juninho and Ravanelli went to Middlesbrough?

People who have lived in both cities for a period of time are probably those best placed to comment. ;)

People from London say it about Manchester, people from Glasgow say it about Aberdeen, it's all about the perceived superiority complex from people living in larger cities.

I moved to Glasgow for more opportunities in my line of work and I'd have absolutely no qualms about moving back.  Similarly you will get professional footballers biting AFC's hands off if they feel it will further their careers.  For those who choose a football club purely down to geography, more fool them.  All about work/life balance I know, but the real winners will want to play for the bigger and better teams.

What you are talking about is more to do with social commentary rather than why footballers choose what team to play for.  You could equally ask yourself how the fuck Juninho and Ravanelli went to Middlesbrough?

Money money money, its a rich mans world! If a young footballer can get the same money in the central belt as he would in Aberdeen I would reckon the choice would be central belt 9 times out of 10.

Guest bloo_toon_red

Money money money, its a rich mans world! If a young footballer can get the same money in the central belt as he would in Aberdeen I would reckon the choice would be central belt 9 times out of 10.

Precisely, which brings us back to the original question.  Hibs don't pay more than Aberdeen do.  So why would you go then?

What is there to do in Glasgow that you can't do in Aberdeen?

As far as the local population's view on outsiders goes, I find that a large percentage of Aberdeen's population aren't originally from Aberdeen.

There's about 60 people working in my office and around half of them aren't Aberdonian, and that's been a similar trend in other places I have worked, and no-one seems to have had any problems settling in or with attitudes from local people.

All this Aberdeen / central belt stuff is by the by anyway.  We've 4 players leaving that by and large we'd rather have stay.  If we don't get decent players in to replace them then the dross that we can't get rid of will be our first picks.

It just keeps on getting better....

:hammer:

Aberdonians or central belters?

As far as the local population's view on outsiders goes, I find that a large percentage of Aberdeen's population aren't originally from Aberdeen.

There's about 60 people working in my office and around half of them aren't Aberdonian, and that's been a similar trend in other places I have worked, and no-one seems to have had any problems settling in or with attitudes from local people.

Its about choice, you arent confined to the one city, you have edinburgh at your disposal and you can head down to england in no time at all as well if you want, whereas in Aberdeen you have a fair slog if you want to be anywhere else. Its all about lifestyle really.

Anyway, like ST says:

All this Aberdeen / central belt stuff is by the by anyway.  We've 4 players leaving that by and large we'd rather have stay.  If we don't get decent players in to replace them then the dross that we can't get rid of will be our first picks.

It just keeps on getting better....

:hammer:

We have seen players leave for this reason before though - not just for central belt.

and I remember Invincible wouldn't sign for us and showed his ambitions by going to Killie cos he thought Aberdeen was too far away.

HA HA

What further than Oz to Britain??

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood has revealed that midfielder Barry Nicholson has turned down the offer of a new contract at Pittodrie and will be moving on to pastures new in the summer.

The Aberdeen manager also added that striker Lee Miller has yet to decide one way or another regarding the deal offered to him.

Meanwhile, Derek Soutar, Greg Kelly, Richie Byrne, Dave Bus, Jonathan Smith and Steve Lovell, whose contracts expire in the summer, will not be offered new deals.

The Aberdeen boss commented, "It's obviously disappointing that Barry has decided to move on but, to be honest, it did not come as a huge surprise. As far as Lee is concerned, he is leaving his options open and, while I'm hopeful that he will decide to stay, we have to obviously prepare a squad with next season in mind. I'd like to thank all of the lads who won't be here next season for their contributions and wish all of them all the very best for the future. These are never easy decisions to make but are necessary as we move forward and prepare for the next campaign and beyond."

Jimmy confirmed that winger Sone Aluko will return to Birmingham City for pre season while no decision has been made as yet regarding fellow English teenager Josh Walker. The manager has already stated that he would be keen for either or both to remain in the north east.

Midfielder Stuart Duff and full back Alan Maybury, who both arrived in the January transfer window, will be given until the end of the season before any decision regarding their futures is taken.

From the official site.

One thing, that I admit is based a little on personal opinion, and a lot on what I have read on here, is enjoy a large selection and variety of nice restaurants. For a lot of players (if they are not into the pub/club thing) I would assume this would form a large part of their social life.

As has been mentioned before, I assume the additional transport links, and the accesibility to variety probably plays a significant part for a lot of people, footballer or otherwise, too.

One other point, people have listed the folk who have come to Aberdeen and not settled (has Hignett been listed?) but that is not indicative of the numbers who have turned down a move based on Aberdeen's location. The same thing can be seen in England, as some have mentioned - folk would rather live in London than in Sunderland, because there's more to do.

Nicholson has to be dropped now, no matter how good he has been.

Get Touzani and/or Walker (if there is a chance he'll stay) into midfield.

Miller must be waiting to see if any interest is shown in him, so could probably be dropped as well.

Guest bloo_toon_red

Midfield on Sat should be Seve, Touzani, Jeff and Smith (shame he's not fit).

Time to move on.

Derek Young will likely start on Saturday and rightly so too.

I can see it being a midfield 5 of:

Young Severin Touzani Nicholson JdV

In the medium term, I can see Young replacing Barry Nicholson in the centre of midfield too.