Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

Summer 2024 transfer window

I was not that convinced that by Hoillet. While we looked better with him in the team once Warnock was gone it was a low bar. I would like to think we are looking at better and younger options. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Please elaborate! Season finished two months ago and Thelin has been here or involved long enough to give input. A preseason and these cup games would benefit him rather than come in less fit having missed the preseason,  so why isn’t he here?

I think he is still injured,but I'd consider him,only if not too many other winger options out there.As Jute says,hopefully younger,faster options available

Edited by Elgindon

I also think younger and faster suits JT. He wants an athletic high press and that’s not hoilett’s game, and he’s arguably getting slower/less mobile. Don’t think hoilett ever lasted 90 mins in the spring?

58 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Please elaborate! Season finished two months ago and Thelin has been here or involved long enough to give input. A preseason and these cup games would benefit him rather than come in less fit having missed the preseason,  so why isn’t he here?

Injured and missed out playing for Canada

Likely to be several weeks before he is even able to train 

No one, including us is likely to be signing him in the coming weeks, and even then if they do, he will need to complete a pre season.

At best, if and it is a BIG if, we sign him up, we are not seeing him in red this side of mid September.

Re the Duk situation - any insight as to whether the issue with him is possibly having a grievance towards the club,....or something to do with self discpline(lack of?)/partying??.

Find it hard to believe its an issue with the club,given how popular he is here,and if he was unhappy with,eg the style of play/lack of appearances,the fact we have a new manager might have persuaded him to see how things go? Lack of communication is all a bit weird...

Edited by Elgindon

3 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Re the Duk situation - any insight as to whether the issue with him is possibly having a grievance towards the club,....or some of?)/partying??.

Lack of communication is all a bit weird...

Legally Aberdeen can't say much about it, hence the lack of communication.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Re the Duk situation - any insight as to whether the issue with him is possibly having a grievance towards the club,....or something to do with self discpline(lack of?)/partying??.

Find it hard to believe its an issue with the club,given how popular he is here,and if he was unhappy with,eg the style of play/lack of appearances,the fact we have a new manager might have persuaded him to see how things go? Lack of communication is all a bit weird...

I thought he is refusing to train to try and force through a transfer and club have disciplined him accordingly. Not sure what else they can say until he either returns to training or fucks off elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, BigAl said:

Injured and missed out playing for Canada

Likely to be several weeks before he is even able to train 

No one, including us is likely to be signing him in the coming weeks, and even then if they do, he will need to complete a pre season.

At best, if and it is a BIG if, we sign him up, we are not seeing him in red this side of mid September.

Elgin posted it too, I didn’t realize he was injured. This may actually benefit us, ideally we find better but nobody is picking hoillet up right now. Buys us time.

• Like 1

On 26/07/2024 at 18:29, Jute said:

I was not that convinced that by Hoillet. While we looked better with him in the team once Warnock was gone it was a low bar. I would like to think we are looking at better and younger options. 

Confirmed he isn't returning.

Who fucking needs him anyway.

We've already got Shayden 😉

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

Confirmed he isn't returning.

Who fucking needs him anyway.

We've already got Shayden 😉

Went to see the Dons in training this morning and Morris didn't even look particularly great there. Big Gueye nailed a kid with one of his shots, which is a good sign. Richardson did a good run and cross but otherwise looked a little uninterested. Bojan was avoiding all physical contact. It wasn't the most exciting thing in the world, but good that the club does this event for free in the summer holidays.

Espanyol have made a bid for Bojan but we have rejected it, saying it falls way short of our £6.5M valuation of him. I'd value him a bit higher than that TBH. Proven scorer both domestically and in Europe, bit of a playmaker, has 2 years left on his contract. I'd be holding out for £8M

Hoilett - I'd have liked him to stay because he had something about him, but was probably a fringe player anyway. We really need to sign another Miovski level player who is a nailed on starter and game changer.

Espanyol - Reports suggesting £3m. Aye for Duk maybe. 

£3million is an absolute piss take

Hope they weren't just told no but additionally to fuck right off and don't bother coming back until they are serious about it and to stop dicking us around 

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

£3million is an absolute piss take

Hope they weren't just told no but additionally to fuck right off and don't bother coming back until they are serious about it and to stop dicking us around 

Espanyol are one of smaller clubs in Spain and just promoted back to top flight so suspect that £3m is best they can offer. I think Bojan himself knows he can play for a bigger club than them. 

• Haha 1

3m is certainly a piss take but how do we know that the reported 6.5m is our asking price? No clue how player costs work these days, used to be a formula containing current contract length and salary, but given we hear/see relative unknowns go for a small fortune, I’m in with 6.5 if it includes a 50% sell on for example. Still think 8m plus 20% sell on is fair.

any sniff of rumors converting incomings/outgoings besides bojan? Still silence on the duk front, that’s an odd situation.

3 hours ago, Jute said:

Espanyol are one of smaller clubs in Spain and just promoted back to top flight so suspect that £3m is best they can offer. I think Bojan himself knows he can play for a bigger club than them. 

The team finishing last in La Liga get £45m in tv revenue alone. 

Add in sponsorship, expected gate receipts (40,000 capacity stadium), and that last season they had player sales that amounted to over €30m, then £3m is pocket change to them.

Had hoillett already retired before coming to us? 

Makes sense that he was only there for the season if that was the case. 

The miovski debacle rolls on. Needs to be playing to be in the shop window unless a deal is done. 

I've never been his biggest fan ( although he did improve a lot last year) but it's starting to look there isn't a bidding frenzy going on. I reckon if we get a sniff of £5m he's gone 

4 hours ago, Panda said:

The team finishing last in La Liga get £45m in tv revenue alone. 

Add in sponsorship, expected gate receipts (40,000 capacity stadium), and that last season they had player sales that amounted to over €30m, then £3m is pocket change to them.

Espanyol lost €30m in two season before they were relegated and lost even more money this year in the secunda. They rarely get over 15,000. They are not in a position to pay big fees. Last I checked this seasons signings had all be loans or free transfers. I would think €3m is about there limit.

• Like 2

I see Alan Campbell has been made available for transfer from Luton.Signed in '21,cant be much,if anything left on his contract.Been out on loan the last year.....🤔

Edited by Elgindon

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Elgindon said:

I see Alan Campbell has been made available for transfer from Luton.Signed in '21,cant be much,if anything left on his contract.Been out on loan the last year.....🤔

Been shouting this for over a week, as soon as it was announced he could leave, exactly what we need. Shinnie and sivert are 33 soon and have an affinity for bookings, and with both polvara and clarkson now out, we’re paper thin. We ran shinnie into the ground last year too and having the ability to rotate these three would be wise. Plus he’s Scottish and I value that!

Edited by OrlandoDon

I think someone like Allan Campbell would be expecting to be a starter. Going to be hard to convince him that's the case when Thelin has as his first choices his captain, and a guy he's worked with before and has just handed a three-year contract to.

Plus, I know he's injured now, but at some point Polvara will be fit, potentially knocking Campbell further down the pecking order.

The general consensus on Campbell from Luton and Millwall is he works hard but is too ponderous in possession. I get he's younger than Shinnie/Nilsen but is he better than either of them? For the (presumably) big wages he'd want does he improve us?

I'd certainly take him on account we're light there at the moment and the squad as a whole looks thin, but would be very surprised if we did.

53 minutes ago, Panda said:

I think someone like Allan Campbell would be expecting to be a starter. Going to be hard to convince him that's the case when Thelin has as his first choices his captain, and a guy he's worked with before and has just handed a three-year contract to.

Plus, I know he's injured now, but at some point Polvara will be fit, potentially knocking Campbell further down the pecking order.

The general consensus on Campbell from Luton and Millwall is he works hard but is too ponderous in possession. I get he's younger than Shinnie/Nilsen but is he better than either of them? For the (presumably) big wages he'd want does he improve us?

I'd certainly take him on account we're light there at the moment and the squad as a whole looks thin, but would be very surprised if we did.

Agreed. When he left, he was a poor man's Shinnie, and whilst he'll undoubtedly have improved, I don't think he'd start. He wasn't a particularly great football player, but had workrate and tenacity on his side. I think that if we were in January and had had a good while to see if Nilsen is going to be good enough*, it'd be a better option, but I think we will hobble through making use of what we've got until then in that area. Hopefully that'll mean more of seeing Milne, and also leaving the door open for Polvara on his return.

*I'm not convinced by Nilsen at all, but he's going to be starting for the foreseeable future (see Anthony Stewart), as he's the manager's man. 

7 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Agreed. When he left, he was a poor man's Shinnie, and whilst he'll undoubtedly have improved, I don't think he'd start. He wasn't a particularly great football player, but had workrate and tenacity on his side. I think that if we were in January and had had a good while to see if Nilsen is going to be good enough*, it'd be a better option, but I think we will hobble through making use of what we've got until then in that area. Hopefully that'll mean more of seeing Milne, and also leaving the door open for Polvara on his return.

*I'm not convinced by Nilsen at all, but he's going to be starting for the foreseeable future (see Anthony Stewart), as he's the manager's man. 

Meh, maybe aye maybe no. Current injuries aside, we are heavily reliant of two aging players who are fiesty and aggressive. There will be injuries, suspensions, and resting needed. I could also see a midfield three of Campbell sivert and shinnie at times. Jury is certainly out on sivert, and I’m a big Shinnie fan, but if ever there was a time where two play from three, or play all three in this type of league, it’s this. 
Clarkson should be our 10 when he comes back, but there are games that aren’t for him. We’re also talking polvara and the jury is still out on him too. He’s shown that there’s potential, but still not convinced he can hold a starting spot. 
perhaps failing in England has humbled Campbell a bit and coming here may help get his career back on track. 
lastly, we didn’t see it in preseason but as a has been said, if this isn’t the answer let’s really give Milne an opportunity in center mid. I just don’t see him as a right back/wing back at all!

• Like 1