Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Summer 2024 transfer window

6 hours ago, OxfordDon said:

He'll do.

I've just gone down a topi keskinen rabbit hole on YT and I tell you what, this kid excites me. I know, I know YT highlight reels are unreliable but these two  reels are from the last two seasons and he keeps doing the same over and over

Like he REALLY excites me. Rapid, great touch, good with both feet, loves a worldy....   Strong too.   This boy will have a field day in this league imo.  Now, I don't ask this next question lightly as it's  about my favourite ever footballer. Does anyone else see a wee bit of a young, pre leg break, Eoin Jess in the way this boy plays or is it just me? 

11 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

I've just gone down a topi keskinen rabbit hole on YT and I tell you what, this kid excites me. I know, I know YT highlight reels are unreliable but these two  reels are from the last two seasons and he keeps doing the same over and over

Like he REALLY excites me. Rapid, great touch, good with both feet, loves a worldy....   Strong too.   This boy will have a field day in this league imo.  Now, I don't ask this next question lightly as it's  about my favourite ever footballer. Does anyone else see a wee bit of a young, pre leg break, Eoin Jess in the way this boy plays or is it just me? 

Boy seems to have a fair bit of pace, big loon too. Seems to play on the left, are we moving McGrath to the right??

Desperately trying not to get excited by this guy. When I see the scarf above the head shot, then I’ll start believing! 

id still be peeved at £4m for miovski, but aye, as long as the sell on is mega, then so be it. He grabs the likes of Reals attention and who knows 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, BigAl said:

The offer for Miovski is £4 million

Other clubs apparently showing interest.

From same sauce (Mr Burns), 4mil was Girona's initial offer and we've apparently knocked it back

Girona have bid more than £4million but will need to up the ante again if they want Bojan Miovski.

The Dons are looking for a bigger transfer fee and a number of add-ons and sell-ons. Discussions are still on-going. Several other European clubs have also come into the equation over the last 24 hours.

Miovski, though, has stated Girona remains his preference and a crack at the Champions League with Spanish side.

However we udnerstand [sic] the bid will need to be more if the Dons are to part ways with their key man.

• Like 1

Anyone remember Keskinen when we played HJK?  He looks good in those videos, but the defenders he was up against were absolute gash. Mind you, most of the Scottish Premiership defenders are absolute gash, so he may do very well. If we can have two wingers terrorising like the good ol days of McGinn-Hayes, I'll be very happy. Just wish we weren't expecting Bojan to go soon, cos he'd love these new guys 

1 hour ago, Reekie_Red said:

Anyone remember Keskinen when we played HJK?  

18 seconds here you see him collect a long ball, nip past Milne, play a one-two and force a save from Roos.

Nicky Devlin was quoted afterwards praising Milne for his performance by saying "I thought he was outstanding in Helsinki because he was up against their best player (Topi Keskinen) who I played against in the first game. I thought he was brilliant."

Devlin and Keskinen both got booked in the 97th minute for I imagine some handbags, but I can't find the incident.

The HJK player that stood out most was their striker Bojan Radulović, he signed for Huddersfield for £1.2m in January but hardly got any game time and they ended up being relegated to League 1. 

Can I ask a couple of stupid questions?

Obviously times have changed from when a Billy Dodds went from us to Rangers via a short spell with Dundee United.

But why the hell do Old Firm fans think Bojan would ever entertain Ibrox or Parkhead side?

If I was a player I certainly wouldn't be pinning my hopes on thinking a trophy laden career in either part of Glasgow would be classed as a successful time after I've retired.

There are levels in soccer nowadays. 

Why do we never see a striker like Morelos or Furahashi going to a bigger club than those they joined in Scottish Premier League?

Edited by SeeBass
Wrong Historical Information.

Cos OF fans still see all the other ScotPrem teams as feeder clubs to their lofty ambitions of still being in Euripe past Xmas. And they seem to think every player in the world would love nothing more than to play for the Green or Blue. Fkn delusional pricks

• Like 1

Sums it up well, Reekie.

So sounds like a few others are coming round to my thoughts that sokler isn’t going to be up to it. It’s hard for him that we’re comparing him to Miovski rather than say, Duk, but that’s his job. He needs to step up. The good thing is, is that McGrath knows where the goal is and we’re actually scoring across the team, so buying him time. I’d rather we get someone else in though.

21 hours ago, Slim said:

The HJK player that stood out most was their striker Bojan Radulović, he signed for Huddersfield for £1.2m in January but hardly got any game time and they ended up being relegated to League 1. 

Worth a look??

5 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Sums it up well, Reekie.

So sounds like a few others are coming round to my thoughts that sokler isn’t going to be up to it. It’s hard for him that we’re comparing him to Miovski rather than say, Duk, but that’s his job. He needs to step up. The good thing is, is that McGrath knows where the goal is and we’re actually scoring across the team, so buying him time. I’d rather we get someone else in though.

I’m still willing to give sokler time. After the window closes it will become clearer since we’ll have all pieces in place by then, hopefully one or two more on board. Even once miovski leaves I think it helps him, rather than miovski sitting on the bench watching. We have sokler gueye and Ambrose, then bavidge. Right now, season to date, that’s not a great bunch. But we’re winning and scoring goals, so that’s ok for now. But once we stop winning the pressure increases.

5 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Sums it up well, Reekie.

I think confidence is a big issue. He knows he's the successor to Miovski and it's weighing heavily on him. Vinnie and Gueye coming into the team and scoring when Sokler is starting games and not won't have helped him much either.

But there's something there. His movement is good; getting himself one on one with the goalkeeper is a sign of someone who positions himself well, reads the pass, and times his run. 

22 minutes ago, Panda said:

I think confidence is a big issue. He knows he's the successor to Miovski and it's weighing heavily on him. Vinnie and Gueye coming into the team and scoring when Sokler is starting games and not won't have helped him much either.

But there's something there. His movement is good; getting himself one on one with the goalkeeper is a sign of someone who positions himself well, reads the pass, and times his run. 

I agree, his movement is good and he’s getting chances. But he’s got to take them. Confidence comes from goals. Two years ago bojan scored in the second and third league game of the season, hit the ground running, sokler needs league goals.

• Like 1

Really hope you're both right, and I think it's absolutely fair to say it would be weighing on him. But it is his role to take. He needs to grab it as we can't afford to have a misfiring no.9 when the subs aren't all that or ready either. Fingers crossed the helpful run we have, helps him build the confidence levels.

16 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Really hope you're both right, and I think it's absolutely fair to say it would be weighing on him. But it is his role to take. He needs to grab it as we can't afford to have a misfiring no.9 when the subs aren't all that or ready either. Fingers crossed the helpful run we have, helps him build the confidence levels.

There's no way we'll be getting rid of Miovski and not replacing. Sokler will be either a second striker in a two or, more likely, a sub again. He was more interested in trying to win a foul when he was through on goal today and he was generally poor. As @OrlandoDon says, he does have good movement, but that was completely missing today when Miovski wasn't playing. So far, he's not returned this season any better than he was last. He's the best of a bad bunch, but it is a bad bunch. 

I would hope that we go all out to find Miovski's replacement. Sure, sitting on the bench for 2 years can't have done Soklers confidence or development any good. He is an okay striker, but that's all. He's like the version of Bojan Miovski if you bought him from Wish. 

Coming round to the view that Sokler isn’t going to be the replacement for Miovski. Think he is a decent forward but as someone has said his best performances have come playing with Bojan as a front 2. I don’t think you can fault his work rate but he just doesn’t look like he will score many goals especially as a loan striker. Think we will need to get in another striker in to either play along side Sokler or more likely to replace him. 

5 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

There's no way we'll be getting rid of Miovski and not replacing. Sokler will be either a second striker in a two or, more likely, a sub again. He was more interested in trying to win a foul when he was through on goal today and he was generally poor. As @OrlandoDon says, he does have good movement, but that was completely missing today when Miovski wasn't playing. So far, he's not returned this season any better than he was last. He's the best of a bad bunch, but it is a bad bunch. 

What makes you so sure we’re signing a replacement? What was Ambrose signed for? I’d assumed he was signed and he or sokler became our 9. Sign another 9 when miovski goes then we have one more forward than last season and less games this year since no Europe. That doesn’t add up to me. While I’m having my doubts about Ambrose and sokler, I’d be surprised if we signed another starting forward.

4 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

What makes you so sure we’re signing a replacement? What was Ambrose signed for? I’d assumed he was signed and he or sokler became our 9. Sign another 9 when miovski goes then we have one more forward than last season and less games this year since no Europe. That doesn’t add up to me. While I’m having my doubts about Ambrose and sokler, I’d be surprised if we signed another starting forward.

I don't think it'll have been the intention, originally, to have to sign a replacement, but I think Thelin will know by now that he'll need to if he has any chance of Europe. The number nine is vital in a 4-2-3-1, otherwise we sacrifice likes of Clarkson or the new guy to accommodate a 4-4-2. It might be that the new guy and the new winger (if it actually goes ahead) are good enough to carry an average striker, but I think that'd be high risk. Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to have time in this window to try out our best team with, say, Sokler up front to see if it bears fruit, so the pragmatic thing to do would be to get a striker in (even on loan) instead of gambling until January. Obviously, that is dependent on us having a target that will come and at the right price. As I said previously, we need to be shifting players on ASAP to give the squad room to breathe and allow for new signings. Otherwise it's another lopsided season with too many [nothing] players vying for the same role. I'd happily punt the first and last scorers from yesterday for example (I'd prefer Ambrose to leave over Gueye, but that would be difficult! I have a feeling it might quietly happen in January), but it could be Duncan, Morris or whoever.