Saturday 19th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Celtic v Aberdeen

Dons youth

3 hours ago, wee toon red said:

Hopefully Bavidge will be with the first team more than these young XIs this seasons.

With him being 18 I would expect him to go on loan again this season to get the game time he needs. Kelty were really pleased with him last season so would expect us to try to loan him to Championship side this season. 

11 hours ago, Jute said:

With him being 18 I would expect him to go on loan again this season to get the game time he needs. Kelty were really pleased with him last season so would expect us to try to loan him to Championship side this season. 

Saw him play for Kelty at Queen of the South near the end of the season. Looked like he was plenty good enough for that level so even though I agree with you and expect him to be loaned out again, I would still have expected him to have been in the first team squad on Saturday.

38 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Saw him play for Kelty at Queen of the South near the end of the season. Looked like he was plenty good enough for that level so even though I agree with you and expect him to be loaned out again, I would still have expected him to have been in the first team squad on Saturday.

I guess the issue is that he's a striker looking for minutes in a team that only plays one and have two others also needing minutes. Striker is a role that you need time on the park in order to build up some form, and that means starting games or coming on for 30-40 minutes. Thelin will want both Sokler and Ambrose to get those opportunities to see if they can do the business. From what I've seen of Bavidge, I don't think he's going to be that exceptional talent that can't be ignored, I think he'll be more like Bruce Anderson or someone of that ilk who'll need game time to bed himself in and incrementally improve. He might be better than Anderson, of course, but that's not clear yet, and I don't think he has outstanding pace that might have got him a place where other attributes wouldn't. He looks like a lot of young players who fit in that gap where they're physically stronger than the rest at their age level, but not quite ready for the first team.

• 2 weeks later...

Youth team playing Banks of Dee in challenge cup tonight. 

Team is 1. Rodrigo Vitols, 2. Cameron Wilson, 3. Timothy Akindileni, 4. Lewis Carrol, 5. Blair Mckenzie, 6. Findlay Marshall, 7. Adam Emslie, 8. Alfie Stewart, 9. Alfie Bavidge, 10. Dylan Lobban (C), 11. Fletcher Boyd

Subs: 20. Conner Douglas, 12. Dylan Ross, 14. Ellis Clark, 16. Jack Searle, 17. Joseph Teasdale, 18. Fraser Mackie, 19. Zak To

Looks like the young 'uns simply haven't impressed Thelin which is a shame 

Boyd obviously made a superb impact, bavidge was highly rated and I really liked what I saw of Marshall

Of all of them, with our current midfield issues Marshall in particular not getting a chance is a shame

18 minutes ago, The Millertime said:

Looks like the young 'uns simply haven't impressed Thelin which is a shame 

Boyd obviously made a superb impact, bavidge was highly rated and I really liked what I saw of Marshall

Of all of them, with our current midfield issues Marshall in particular not getting a chance is a shame

Neither Boyd nor Bavidge looked anywhere near ready for the first team when they got their cameos at the end of last and the previous seasons respectively. Bavidge has had a year since and been out on loan, so you'd have to hope he's pushing for minutes. Boyd would benefit from a loan I think, and Marshall scored at the weekend for Cove, so a good start. They just need minutes against men, and as many as possible. If they're only going to get 20 minutes every 4-5 games here, then it's better to get those 4-5 games in the lower leagues.

5 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Neither Boyd nor Bavidge looked anywhere near ready for the first team when they got their cameos at the end of last and the previous seasons respectively. Bavidge has had a year since and been out on loan, so you'd have to hope he's pushing for minutes. Boyd would benefit from a loan I think, and Marshall scored at the weekend for Cove, so a good start. They just need minutes against men, and as many as possible. If they're only going to get 20 minutes every 4-5 games here, then it's better to get those 4-5 games in the lower leagues.

Eh!?

He scored 2 in 2, one of which was reminiscent of a typical Eoin Jess goal

(In his prime, before Zerouali came in and usurped him)

Edited by The Millertime

3 minutes ago, The Millertime said:

Eh!?

He scored 2 in 2, one of which was reminiscent of a typical Eoin Jess goal

(In his prime, before Zerouali came in and usurped him)

I know, I was there. In my opinion, he looked physically under-developed for a season in the SPFL, but definitely not lacking in ability. The plan would be to get him minutes playing against men, as I said. Jess was much more athletic when he started for the Dons, and was 18, Boyd only 16. In fact, his age may mean he doesn't yet go out on loan, I don't know.

10 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I know, I was there. In my opinion, he looked physically under-developed for a season in the SPFL, but definitely not lacking in ability. The plan would be to get him minutes playing against men, as I said. Jess was much more athletic when he started for the Dons, and was 18, Boyd only 16. In fact, his age may mean he doesn't yet go out on loan, I don't know.

Well yeah, he's tiny 

But he still scored 2 in 2 being tiny

Maybe it's just the romantic side of it but I'd love to give him proper game time this year

26 minutes ago, The Millertime said:

Well yeah, he's tiny 

But he still scored 2 in 2 being tiny

Maybe it's just the romantic side of it but I'd love to give him proper game time this year

Nowhere near being ready for a regular start.

Very few players are at sixteen. One of the possible exceptions in the past year or so is Lee Miller's boy at Motherwell.

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

Nowhere near being ready for a regular start.

Very few players are at sixteen. One of the possible exceptions in the past year or so is Lee Miller's boy at Motherwell.

I'm not saying he should be a regular starter

He should be on the bench though

If he isn't ready this year surely he wasn't ready last year?

(But still scored 2 in 2)

We have Miovski, Sokler, Ambrose and Gueye. Whether you rate all of them or not, Thelin is going to play them all before Boyd just now, so him sitting on the bench is a waste of time. 

He's better off getting a run of games at U18 level for now. If he shows enough to be in the first team, then he'll be there.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jute said:

Not really youths but Aberdeen XI beat Cove 2-0 in a testimonial match for Blair Yule. Dons goals from Morris and Nisbet. 

I'm not usually a fan of these vlogger videos, but this young guy has the highlights and goals on his video and as far as I can see it's the only place (at the time of writing) to see them.

Apparently (going by those at the game) Palaversa played well, as did Alfie Stewart. Adam Emslie (on loan from us at Cove) also getting plaudits.

However, Gueye, Ambrose and McGarry did not play well. A very small sample of fans though.

Nisbet played the last 20 minutes and, as Jute says, scored.

Edited by Panda

On 04/09/2024 at 11:39, Panda said:

I'm not usually a fan of these vlogger videos, but this young guy has the highlights and goals on his video ...

Aaron Jones has a decent vlog channel going. He's started getting sponsorship this season for his work. I'm not too keen on the ginger kid Kian's vlogs, but Aaron's one is pretty good quality. He tends not to travel to away games, so whe the Dons are not at home he goes to Cove games 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...