Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

Fletcher Boyd

Deserves his own thread.

Well done young man, what a week you had last week 👍

First steps on a lengthy and successful football career I hope.

Contracted to AFC until end of next season, but the sharks were already circling from down south.

Hope he sees the merits in staying beyond that time and potentially getting more first team experience with us.

Oh and lastly, work on your corners son, your first contribution in the first team was shite 😉

First I’d heard of him was the youth cup final but have to say he stood out that day. Good to see him being given a chance and him making the most of it.

Third youngest to appear for The Dons and youngest goal scorer I believe.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, The Millertime said:

Whys this wee guy not getting a chance this season?

He couldn't have done much more in his appearances last season!

Last season was a cameo, young guy in games that ultimately mattered little. This time around it’s senior pros playing for their livelihoods and thelin figuring out his best 11 and squad depth. Boyd’s time will come, I wouldn’t be surprised if he saw very little first team mins or even went out on loan.

• Like 1

A loan would do him good. Feels like we need to manage him carefully to ensure he doesn’t go the way of shankland and anderson etc when they were with us. 6 month loan to see how he goes in the championship would be ideal. Definitely not done anything wrong so far but he’s still very young.

5 hours ago, manc_don said:

A loan would do him good. Feels like we need to manage him carefully to ensure he doesn’t go the way of shankland and anderson etc when they were with us. 6 month loan to see how he goes in the championship would be ideal. Definitely not done anything wrong so far but he’s still very young.

Totally disagree. I don't think we should be sending a 16 year old to the Championship at all.

He had a fun cameo at the end of the season, and no doubt we'll give him more chances throughout the season. But he's not ready to be a first team regular.

You've also got to be careful with players that young that you don't overplay them. He's still developing and he'll do that playing U18 football and training with the first team. 

Maybe someone can educate me, why did we get rid of the reserve league? Great way to blood youngsters against seasoned pros, get squad players good minutes weekly, plus give guys on their way back from injury (or loss of form) the chance to build match sharpness.

its still competitive but not so do or die like the championship. Would be a good place for the likes of boyd to develop physically.

I could be wrong but I don't think the majority of Scottish clubs have got enough players for an old-school reserve team, so it just ends up being a youth team anyway. With as many as 16 "senior" players involved in every league game, there aren't many left over to play in the reserves.

As for Fletcher, 16 does seem a bit young to be playing any kind of regular first team football so, as Panda says, he's as well staying with us, training with the first team when appropriate and making the odd appearance here or there.

8 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Maybe someone can educate me, why did we get rid of the reserve league? Great way to blood youngsters against seasoned pros, get squad players good minutes weekly, plus give guys on their way back from injury (or loss of form) the chance to build match sharpness.

its still competitive but not so do or die like the championship. Would be a good place for the likes of boyd to develop physically.

Money. Getting rid of the reserve league was seen as a way of reducing squad sizes to allow clubs to save cash. As Wee Toon says now with teams having up to 16 players possibly playing in games I cannot see it teams being able to finance big enough squads to bring it back. Personally I think getting rid of the reserve leagues was a mistake at the time.