Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

Real Madrid vs Darvel

Posted (edited)

I found myself tossing and turning in bed at 3am this morning.  Then all of a sudden our defeat to Darvel started to bother me.

I wasn't around when we beat Real Madrid for Cup Winners Cup glory in 1983 but it got me thinking.

For those that were about for that magical night how do you look upon us being last team to beat Bernabeu club but also being on the wrong end of the biggest Scottish Cup shock ever only a couple of years ago?

Edited by SeeBass
Bad grammar.

Posted (edited)

Seebass, I moved to the US when I was 22, 51 now. I still try to watch as many games as possible but I don’t take defeats the way I used to when I lived at home. while very disappointed to lose to Darvel, not a single person I work with knew about the game, and nobody had ever heard of darvel, possibly Aberdeen too! My British friends know I’m an Aberdeen fan and they’ll comment if we have a big game, but it’s nothing like living back home. It’s very easy to push a defeat into the background over here, back home it’s rubbed in your face and you can’t get away from it.

I was 10 in 1983 and have very fond memories of winning the cup winners cup. I listened to most of the euro games on the radio and my bedtime was 9pm. Very fond memories of David Francie, Archie McPherson, jock brown too, Derek Rae later on, never really took to Arthur Montfort commentary. Remember listening to the Bayern game and jumping up and down on my bed at full time. Got upset with my babysitter at the time, she didn’t seem to care. Semi at home to watershei was during Easter holidays I think, maybe not, and my family were caravanning at yellowcraig near north berwick. Remember brushing my teeth at the toilet block with the radio blasting as we hammered them. I was allowed to stay up and watch the final, still don’t believe it was 41 years ago. Slept in my full kit that night, including the socks! Don’t really think about beating Real Madrid and really care about their record. I really don’t pay that much attention to anyone other than us and Scotland.

I will say this, I was absolutely devastated when we lost to Porto in the semis the following year. We were the best team in Europe and I just assumed we’d repeat, I thought it was a given. Nice to think about all this stuff, doesn’t seem that long ago and makes me feel old!

Edited by OrlandoDon
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SeeBass said:

I'm not really counting Super Cups because they're just glorified friendlies at the end of the day.  

That is scandalous Seebass.

You wouldn't be saying that if you had been there in '83.

Don't think the full house at Pittodrie thought it was a glorified friendly.

The McGhee fiascos at Parkhead, and Raith Rovers at home taught me not to take fitba too seriously. Darvel was a good laugh as a result

16 hours ago, SeeBass said:

I'm not really counting Super Cups because they're just glorified friendlies at the end of the day.  

Somewhere in Edinburgh seabass's jambo equivalent has just caused a meltdown by saying something similar about the Tennents 6s

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

Somewhere in Edinburgh seabass's jambo equivalent has just caused a meltdown by saying something similar about the Tennents 6s

Superb