Saturday 19th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Celtic v Aberdeen

Peterhead v Dons

The lack of actual game time causes me some concerns.

Would rather we had more than 90 minutes** under our belts prior to kicking off our league cup campaign.

It could potentially go very wrong 

** 180 if we really did play the Cove Huns a week past on Saturday.

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

The lack of actual game time causes me some concerns.

Would rather we had more than 90 minutes** under our belts prior to kicking off our league cup campaign.

It could potentially go very wrong 

** 180 if we really did play the Cove Huns a week past on Saturday.

The reason for the League Cup group stage being this early is because it's meant to replace friendlies.

Last time we were in the group stage (under Goodwin) we had played seven games before the start of the Premiership season. Was probably overkill. We only won four of our first nine games and were taken to extra-time by Alloa.

Last season Robson announced we'd be doing double training sessions before every match day during pre-season. Won three of our first 13 Premiership games.

So I'm quite content with them just training. Even if we're rusty we'll still win the group, let's be honest. 

12 minutes ago, Panda said:

The reason for the League Cup group stage being this early is because it's meant to replace friendlies.

Last time we were in the group stage (under Goodwin) we had played seven games before the start of the Premiership season. Was probably overkill. We only won four of our first nine games and were taken to extra-time by Alloa.

Last season Robson announced we'd be doing double training sessions before every match day during pre-season. Won three of our first 13 Premiership games.

So I'm quite content with them just training. Even if we're rusty we'll still win the group, let's be honest. 

If we don’t we now can blame you for the above statement in bold. 

I am with Al on not being overly happy with lack of game time. League Cup group stages should not be treated as friendlies. They are games in one of the two competitions we have a realistic chance of winning. Not advocating having the number of games under Goodwin but at the same time would have liked at least a couple more games before we start the competitive games. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jute said:

I am with Al on not being overly happy with lack of game time. League Cup group stages should not be treated as friendlies. They are games in one of the two competitions we have a realistic chance of winning. 

100% this.

Disrespectful to the fans, if we were to treat these as pre season friendlies.

No-one is saying treat the group stages as friendlies. But they are low level opposition and we don't need four friendlies before it. Sharpness and fitness will come from the four games.

If we're not fit enough v QOTS then something has went badly wrong and a friendly with Fraserburgh would not have been enough to fix it.

2 hours ago, Jute said:

If we don’t we now can blame you for the above statement in bold. 

That's fine, I will shield Thelin of all criticism until he settles in. It's the least I can do.

• Haha 1