Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

East Kilbride v Aberdeen

4 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Job done but I’d say it was played in 2nd/3rd gear. Not particularly impressive but I suppose a good training exercise to look at players. Think today highlighted more what we are lacking than what we have.

If agree with you. What we really failed to do was dominate.  Shinnie just doesn't have the presence needed and the last couple of years reflect that. Hopefully the new guy can stamp his authority on games.

I thought Morris was ok but we could do with better. Mcgrath ( goal apart ) doesn't strike fear into anybody, I wouldn't worry if he was against us. I think we still need a left winger, right winger and a RB with some pace to get us out from the back.

Aye,obvious were still well short in a few positions.Early impressions,Ambrose looks a bit heavy/clumsy but will judge him over longer.Molloy still raw,can see positives,but wouldnt be relying on him every week. Never saw enough from Besuijen/Doohan. Tougher game on Wednesday might get a better idea

Two games and the perfect opportunity for people to claim right and left mid as their own. Morris has been the best of a bad lot, he’s shown that coming off the bench he has something. He has pace and in two games created and scored. While weak opposition he’s shown more than Duncan and Vinny. We have to sign a right and left mid with Morris the back up. Vinny and Duncan aren’t good enough for us. McGrath scan play left if needed.
I think it’s clarkson or McGrath playing a free roaming 10. Both are creative and capable in that role, but it has to be shinnie and sivert (or a signing (like Alan Campbell) doing the heavy lifting behind the 10. Sad to say, but we were weaker in center mid today and it was east kilbride.

Hard to know what to make of yesterday 2bh, the game was over the moment Devlin scored.  We did score some nice goals and you do get the feeling the likes of mcgrath and Clarkson are being given a bit more freedom to try things. That chip from JM was very naughty, even if the goalie wasn't taller than 5 10". Morris took his goal well yesterday 2bf, it was all about the first touch but the solid finish on the weaker foot was also notable.  Maybe the kid is better suited as an inside forward.  

Jensen in midfield was.... Interesting?  Perhaps JT just having a look at how he does in that role for emergency situations and to get some minutes in his legs. He didn't look awful but at that stage of the game and level of opposition that's hardly a ringing endorsement. 

I'm a bit surprised some seem to be writing off McGrath, I think he's been a really good bit of business so far and fully expect him to be a key player this season.  Ultimately we are basically still in pre season, there's still plenty business to be done and the starting 11 come the end of August will probably look a bit different to than it did today. 

Edited by tlg1903

13 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Hard to know what to make of yesterday 2bh, the game was over the moment Devlin scored.  We did score some nice goals and you do get the feeling the likes of mcgrath and Clarkson are being given a bit more freedom to try things. That chip from JM was very naughty, even if the goalie wasn't taller than 5 10". Morris took his goal well yesterday 2bf, it was all about the first touch but the solid finish on the weaker foot was also notable.  Maybe the kid is better suited as an inside forward.  

Jensen in midfield was.... Interesting?  Perhaps JT just having a look at how he does in that role for emergency situations and to get some minutes in his legs. He didn't look awful but at that stage of the game and level of opposition that's hardly a ringing endorsement. 

I'm a bit surprised some seem to be writing off McGrath, I think he's been a really good bit of business so far and fully expect him to be a key player this season.  Ultimately we are basically still in pre season, there's still plenty business to be done and the starting 11 come the end of August will probably look a bit different to than it did today. 

Fully agree, I rate McGrath. I also think he’d be given more leadership and responsibility if we didn’t have clarkson. Good players who can play anywhere in midfield and scores goals.

1 hour ago, tlg1903 said:

I'm a bit surprised some seem to be writing off McGrath

I think McGrath is a great player, but he's not very good when he sits deeper in a two. Much better anywhere across the three in behind the striker. I'd have in the team every week, but because he doesn't have a lot of pace and doesn't hit the byline, we do need a player that we can switch him out with during games as a change of approach. That's probably one of the benefits of having a player like him in that forward three, is that you can completely change tactic just by switching him out. That didn't happen often last season due to the fact that anyone we might replace him with was gash.

Pleasing to see us score 4, albeit against EK, but minutes, goals and a run out for some of the fringe players wasn’t a bad idea. I was very impressed with shady mo’s goal, that first touch was sublime, which is not a word I’d ever thought I’d be using to describe Morris. If the trick was to play him in the left, well 👏 Thelin! And kudos to McGrath too, cheeky as fuck.

Shame that Vinny doesn’t seem to be trying to make the most of this opportunity, we need to cut our losses with him, it’s not happening. 

looking forward to seeing how we do against airdrie, which’ll be a much sterner test. They’ve certainly scored plenty of goals so likely be a bit more of an opportunity for the defence to see how they’re getting up to speed. 

Maybe time to cut Vinny loose. He is clearly a player, as seen when he first arrived with us and then when he went to FC Emmen. The fans still love him and theres clearly a desire from the fans for him to get back to how he was when he first arrived.

But he just doesn't wanna be at Aberdeen any more - he couldnt make that more obvious. So cut him loose and put the wages to better use 

1 hour ago, Reekie_Red said:

Maybe time to cut Vinny loose. He is clearly a player, as seen when he first arrived with us and then when he went to FC Emmen. The fans still love him and theres clearly a desire from the fans for him to get back to how he was when he first arrived.

But he just doesn't wanna be at Aberdeen any more - he couldnt make that more obvious. So cut him loose and put the wages to better use 

He was gash when he first arrived. Always a yard short of pace, meaning he couldn't get past any half decent defender. A decent touch and finisher, but a level below what we need (unless he's improved when he was away). Fans liked him because he was an exciting new player who joined in the January window as our only signing, and he got the benefit of the doubt for some time. He was always a technically decent, but average player. I can see why we signed him, but he'll likely never make it as there are too many parts to his game where he is just a level below.