Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

LC - Dons vs Airdrie

In keeping with recent tradition, here’s another thread for Rico. Thelins first home game, how’re ticket sales going for it? I’d imagine we’ll be lucky to hit 10k for this, which would be decent for midweek cup game? 

anyway, I’d imagine a similar line up to the first cup game, as this is definitely a more testing opponent than EK were. Wonder how close to the saints line up this one will be? can’t see Vinny keeping his place, certainly didn’t appear to earn it and I’d imagine we’ll see Nilsen back alongside Shinnie which will protect him a bit more than McGrath / Clarkson did (not that I think that’s their roles anyway). 

out

bed

work

work

3-1, sokler, Shinnie and Nilsen.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Shinnie dropped with Nilsen starting, presuming Thelin is planning to continue trying folk out at DM.

Maybe Pape makes the long awaited appearance as a winger. 

One thing for sure, none of us will correctly predict the starting XI.

• Like 1

Expect this to be toughest test of group games  and probably closest to playing a premier level team. Would like to see Rubi and McDonald at the back with Nilsen and Shinnie in the middle in front of them. Think this is game our lack of quality in wide areas might get exposed. Suspect we might start Miovski in this one. I have been impressed with Airdrie under McCabe. They play decent football and if we are not at top of our game we could lose this one. 

Oot - shite public transport

flat

tv

flat

2-1 Miovski and McGrath

1 hour ago, Panda said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Shinnie dropped with Nilsen starting, presuming Thelin is planning to continue trying folk out at DM.

Maybe Pape makes the long awaited appearance as a winger. 

One thing for sure, none of us will correctly predict the starting XI.

I take your challenge!

mitov

devlin-ruby-molloy-mackenzie

shinnie-nilsen

morris-clarkson-mcgrath

miovski

3-1 us, miovski McGrath and Morris

You do wonder about Miovski and whether the club risk it. Doesn't seem to be much movement on that front? Personally, if he's going to go i'd rather he go now so we can actually get someone decent in to replace him. Sokler will do ok, but not at the same level (from what I have seen).

13 minutes ago, manc_don said:

You do wonder about Miovski and whether the club risk it. Doesn't seem to be much movement on that front? Personally, if he's going to go i'd rather he go now so we can actually get someone decent in to replace him. Sokler will do ok, but not at the same level (from what I have seen).

Said that the other day, it’s in our best interest he move on asap. At the same time, having him sit do nothing benefits nobody. Sokler scored two the first game so it was hard to bench him for the second, but perhaps we see miovski then Ambrose tomorrow and ester back starting Saturday….?

• Like 1

I agree. Having Miovski sitting twiddling his thumbs is no good for us, him or any potential buyers. Get him on from the start against Airdrie and let him loose on our biggest group competitors. Give any scouts even more food for thought 

Edited by Reekie_Red
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

I take your challenge!

mitov

devlin-ruby-molloy-mackenzie

shinnie-nilsen

morris-clarkson-mcgrath

miovski

3-1 us, miovski McGrath and Morris

You owe me £100.

Be grateful I'm not demanding more.

Edited by Panda

6 minutes ago, Panda said:

Morris being a starter is really concerning

Yep. Although I'm guessing that we'll be after a winger anyway, so we can just slot him in upon Morris getting found out again.

16 minutes ago, redordead said:

As soon as I seen the team I came straight here. I wasn't disappointed 🤣

Ha!

Honestly, for the long term benefit of our current team playing ester makes sense. Surprised but interesting call by JT. Perhaps bojan gets 20 mins!

As for £100, I’ll pay you next time I’m in Scotland!

Pity this game is Thelin's intro to Pittodrie crowd wise(am oot),but a potentially good game.Airdrie might be enough of an obstacle to expose how shite some of our players are,....and speed up the moving on/recruitment

Oot

Hame

Prediction   0 - 0 (No Dons scorer)

31 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Ha!

Honestly, for the long term benefit of our current team playing ester makes sense. Surprised but interesting call by JT. Perhaps bojan gets 20 mins!

Agreed. Has clearly told Miovski that Sokler will be his number one choice this season if Bojan is leaving, and that he needs the games in pre-season to make sure he's sharp.

That Miovski appears to have taken that like a champ is a measure of the man. Duk could learn a thing or two.

31 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

As for £100, I’ll pay you next time I’m in Scotland!

Let me know which airport. I'll keep a constant watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Commentators (Stephen Craigan, oh goody) being surprised Airdrie are dominating possession.

But I suspect Thelin is comfortable letting a possession-hungry team have the ball. We saw plenty of times while keeping an eye on Elfsborg that they often had 20-30% possession in games.

Be interesting if it continues tonight how the crowd react if there's no early goals.

I mean, I may have championed McCabe for the job a couple of times.

They just seem to know their jobs and what to do when they have the ball. Getting it out to the winners and trying to deliver.

We seem to trip over it in their half 

The "we need to give Thelin time" brigade probably the same ones booing at half-time there.

Despite the score line I've actually enjoyed the first half.

On the ball we've been okay. Still finding our feet but we've been patient - interesting to see us keeping our full-backs alongside the centre-halves so our back four can knock it about until there are options. We're not wasting the ball. 

When we've gone forward we've looked good. We've missed a few sitters - McKenzie and Sokler in particular should have scored. 

The concern is defensively we still look soft. Their goal was coming - too often they're hitting the byline, flashing in a cross, then their movement ties us in knots.

We're not as bad as the score suggests. Fans could do their part here and cut the booing.