Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

LC - Dons vs Dumbarton

Just now, Panda said:

I'm guessing obviously, but he comes across as the type of manager who rather than going into the dressing room and berating everyone, just calmly explains how we should do things better.

Aye, I've already thought myself he's far more wenger at ht than fergie. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

morris is piss but he’s shown he’s more effective than Duncan or Vinny, ’

I've not wanted two players to put in a good 20 minutes as much in my life.

I'm not even supporting Aberdeen at this point - just Duncan & Vinny.

15 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Aye, I've already thought myself he's far more wenger at ht than fergie. 

You can't say things like that around here. 

Talking of Fergie, I was staying in the same hotel as him in Stuttgart last month. Wanted to ask for a photo but he was sat on the phone so I left him alone.

Also walked past Wenger at the Switzerland game.

These stories offer you nothing but I needed to share them.

Edited by Panda

59 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

morris is piss but he’s shown he’s more effective than Duncan or Vinny, 

17 minutes ago, Panda said:

Vinny and Duncan both getting assists 😎

That's £100 both BigAl and OrlandoDon owe me. Proving to be a very profitable season:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Panda said:

You can't say things like that around here. 

Talking of Fergie, I was staying in the same hotel as him in Stuttgart last month. Wanted to ask for a photo but he was sat on the phone so I left him alone.

Also walked past Wenger at the Switzerland game.

These stories offer you nothing but I needed to share them.

If you can't name drop those two on a football forum then who could you? 

Next time don't be such a lil' puss though. They are just people ffs, no harm in asking for a minute of their time....  They can only say no and I put it to you Alex Ferguson wouldn't have a problem with saying that to anyone 🤣🤣

Things we did and didn't learn.

Sokler is going to start v St Johnstone and Miovski is simply keeping fit before he leaves. Thanks for the memories Bojan - go get a move to a Champions League club and do us all proud. Be interesting to see Sokler when he makes the step up v Premiership teams. 

Vinnie and Duncan playing on their weaker side was interesting, but effective. We almost played in a counter-attacking style in that second half, with the two of them preferring to make their passes from deep and be overlapped. Morris wasn't bad, but he should be ripping a side like Dumbarton apart. He's ordinary on a good day and horrific on others. Should not start v St Johnstone. Has not done enough in his four starts. Would still like to think a new winger arriving is imminent though.

We still don't know who will replace Nilsen v St Johnstone. Presumably one of Clarkson or McGrath.

Defensively we still look like we can be got at easily, though Dumbarton rarely tested us. 

James McGarry coming off the bench and getting a goal and assist wasn't on the bingo card. He'll play second fiddle to Mackenzie, but maybe still hope he'll be a decent back-up.

Edited by Panda

A 6-0 win but it’s all relative to the opponent. Could have easily been double figures but for our limited ability and wasteful play.

mackenzie is a good player and good for sokler getting two more but nobody else really stood out. Although I will say sivert and shinnie give us good balance in the middle (again, relative to the opponent.) 

clarkson was poor and out of position. Second half was better because in part we had a central attacking mid, the missing piece in the first half.

Morris did little, his end product is poor, Duncan, Vinny, unimpressive against a poor side despite assists. Big gueye has the potential to be the new duk, doesn’t know when to dribble or pass but his unpredictable style could provide a spark off the bench. No clue what to think of Ambrose but his goal will certainly help his confidence.

another good preseason game but, as I’ve said before, I feel these games show what we are lacking. None of the guys who came in showed anything to suggest they are a starting 11 player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Duncan, Vinny, unimpressive against a poor side despite assists.

What exactly were you expecting from them in their 20 minutes?

They rarely wasted a pass, set up numerous chances, both got assists, and but for a good save Vinnie could have scored.

Were they meant to stop the Titanic sinking during their cameos?

The draw

Seeded

The Dons, Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Dundee, Ross County

Unseeded

Hibernian, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Airdrieonians, Falkirk, Spartans, Queen's Park, and either Motherwell or Partick Thistle.

Takes place tomorrow after Motherwell v Partick.

37 minutes ago, Panda said:

What exactly were you expecting from them in their 20 minutes?

They rarely wasted a pass, set up numerous chances, both got assists, and but for a good save Vinnie could have scored.

Were they meant to stop the Titanic sinking during their cameos?

It’s all relative. They weren’t bad but they didn’t do anything we didn’t already know, and it was dumbarton. Of the subs I’d say Mcgarry had the biggest impact, and both he and Morris offer more than Duncan and Vinny. I value pace and Duncan and Vinny struggle to beat their man. None of them are starting 11 and we have a bloated squad, to add a players or two we have to get rid of as well.

I look at Ambrose (jury still out) and think about how cosgrove started with us. Ambrose off the bench could give us something, speed strength size, and he’ll gain match sharpness.

I’d say gueye is weakish but 10 is the place to play him. He’s no winger. Again, different look to clarkson or McGrath at 10, decent sub to have.

where is Richardson?? Not that he’s missed, just curious, we haven’t seen him at all this season to date. If he can’t play now, no chance we see him in league games.

Edited by OrlandoDon
  • Like 1

Something else I’ll add, thought all subs worked their bollocks off today. I assume all are giving their best to stay in JTs plans..

still hoping for a new center mid and right mid by the st Johnstone game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

It’s all relative. They weren’t bad but they didn’t do anything we didn’t already know, and it was dumbarton. Of the subs I’d say Mcgarry had the biggest impact, and both he and Morris offer more than Duncan and Vinny. I value pace and Duncan and Vinny struggle to beat their man. None of them are starting 11 and we have a bloated squad, to add a players or two we have to get rid of as well.

I look at Ambrose (jury still out) and think about how cosgrove started with us. Ambrose off the bench could give us something, speed strength size, and he’ll gain match sharpness.

I’d say gueye is weakish but 10 is the place to play him. He’s no winger. Again, different look to clarkson or McGrath at 10, decent sub to have.

where is Richardson?? Not that he’s missed, just curious, we haven’t seen him at all this season to date. If he can’t play now, no chance we see him in league games.

Can't agree with "I value pace and Duncan and Vinny struggle to beat their man."  because both beat their man repeatedly (obviously it's easier coming on when the game is done and dusted) and Morris doesn't and he seldom offers any assistance to Devlin whereas Vinny or Duncan at least understand how to play that role.  Wonder why Vinnie wasn't given the same opportunities as Morris during these LC games.

Sadly I chose to watch stenny get pumped at Falkirk. (Terrible officiating there today.)

Watched the highlights and ester looked sharp. I genuinely think he's a very capable replacement when bojan goes. I also like Ambrose. He offers us something different. 

I'd like to see us still bring in at least one winger and McGrath and Clarkson can fight for the #10

2 hours ago, dons8321 said:

Can't agree with "I value pace and Duncan and Vinny struggle to beat their man."  because both beat their man repeatedly (obviously it's easier coming on when the game is done and dusted) and Morris doesn't and he seldom offers any assistance to Devlin whereas Vinny or Duncan at least understand how to play that role.  Wonder why Vinnie wasn't given the same opportunities as Morris during these LC games.

I don’t agree with the repeatedly beat their men, plus were are talking dumbarton, keep that in mind. Neither have the pace to beat their man on the outside, both cut in a lot. I want a wide midfielder who can go either way, that’s the unpredictability we need. Both mcgarry and morris have that pace and can go inside or out. 

in an ideal world we’re relying on none of these guys, but I think Morris and mcgarry offer more than Vinny or Duncan. I said before, I see Vinny as a free roaming number 10, as for Duncan, no clue what he really offers. Saying this, Duncan is only 20, morris 22, young lads.

Sokler (4), Shinnie (2), Clarkson (2), Morris (1), Devlin (1), McGrath (1), Ambrose (1), McGarry (1), MacKenzie (1), Rubezic (1) 

Even though the teams we've played are not top-shelf, 10 different scorers in 3 games 4 games

is impressive.  

are-you-not-entertained-maximus.gif.b56e0833d63f843421d432f9fc403bc8.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scotfree said:

Sokler (4), Shinnie (2), Clarkson (2), Morris (1), Devlin (1), McGrath (1), Ambrose (1), McGarry (1), MacKenzie (1), Rubezic (1) 

Even though the teams we've played are not top-shelf, 10 different scorers in 3 games is impressive.  

are-you-not-entertained-maximus.gif.b56e0833d63f843421d432f9fc403bc8.gif

I’ll bloody take that, but was 4 no? Anyway, I’ll restate that I want to see mcgarry played at LW. Granted I only saw the highlights, but he’s always been better going forward. He’s a confidence player and I hope it gives him the confidence he needs to show what he can do.

anyway, onward and upwards, good to see sokler bag another brace. Still feel we need another forward and a right sided winger.

1 hour ago, manc_don said:

I’ll bloody take that, but was 4 no? Anyway, I’ll restate that I want to see mcgarry played at LW. Granted I only saw the highlights, but he’s always been better going forward. He’s a confidence player and I hope it gives him the confidence he needs to show what he can do.

anyway, onward and upwards, good to see sokler bag another brace. Still feel we need another forward and a right sided winger.

pedro-monkey-puppet.gif.96d3252f0b7e6165fd75478e4c13c63a.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1