Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Dons vs st mirren

Be interesting to see how the saints cope after their European qualifier this week. Didn’t have any impact on them last week, but the team were considerably shiter and valur weren’t that flash either. Regardless, saints come into this fixture with decent confidence, likewise we should have taken plenty of heart from the majority of our performance on Monday. Molloy was unlucky with his own goal and we really shouldn’t have conceded nor made Monday as nervy as it was. 

Any news on sokler? Wonder if Miovski will be gone as is rumoured. The subs may be key here, but that’s another concern in itself. Scoring early too as saints seemed to go up another gear after half time on the weekend. injuries permitting, can’t see much of a change to the first XI.

out

bed

bed

work

2-1 dons, think we might sneak this one. Shinnie and McGrath 

St Mirren will be strongest team we will have faced so far. They easily beat Hibs after playing last mid week and although Bergen are a step up in quality they are at home and no travelling to contend with. Can’t see Thelin changing starting XI from Monday if everyone is fit. Issue is what we do if we need to make subs as from Monday’s showing Gueye and Ambrose are not ready at the moment for first team football. If Miovski is gone before this game we will struggle.

oot

flat

stream

flat

0-1 no dons scorer. 

Potentially to be a good watch,unfortunately Ive a family thing up the road so wont make it.We've shown signs of being pretty effective going forward in some games,hopefully better to come. Saints may also trouble our not quite settled defence though...

Oot

Prediction - 3 - 2 Dons. McGrath,Sokler,McKenzie

I’m assuming we go with our best 11 from last week, although removing miovski and with current injuries, not sure who comes in. Or does he start his last game?? Wouldn’t mind seeing the same 11 as last week except gueye for miovski at 10 behind sokler. Do we get a last 5 mins goodbye from miovski??

yes st mirren have confidence but are they really any good? Or just one of the better shit teams last year.

wish we were in Europe but certainly nice to get a week of training each week, getting players familiar with JTs approach and tactics, and getting new players acclimitized.

2-0 us. Sokler and gueye.

Edited by OrlandoDon

37 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

I’m assuming we go with our best 11 from last week, although removing miovski and with current injuries, not sure who comes in. Or does he start his last game?? Wouldn’t mind seeing the same 11 as last week except gueye for miovski at 10 behind sokler. Do we get a last 5 mins goodbye from miovski??

yes st mirren have confidence but are they really any good? Or just one of the better shit teams last year.

wish we were in Europe but certainly nice to get a week of training each week, getting players familiar with JTs approach and tactics, and getting new players acclimitized.

Gueye might have some use in winning flick-ons and running in one direction with the ball, but there's no way he has the intelligence and slight of touch to play in behind Sokler. I think Miovski will still be here anyway (he's certainly still in Aberdeen), so it'll be a moot point, but I think if we're playing Gueye then it should be as a strict two, keeping him largely out of the way of any defensive duties. 

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

St. Mirren absolutely bossed us 3 times last season and would have won all 3 if VAR and the ref. knew the laws of the game.  If he's still our player then Miovski has to start.  Personally I'd make 1 change, bringing in Milne and moving Devlin further forward because watching Morris wander around looking for something to do drives me crazy!

32 minutes ago, dons8321 said:

St. Mirren absolutely bossed us 3 times last season and would have won all 3 if VAR and the ref. knew the laws of the game.  If he's still our player then Miovski has to start.  Personally I'd make 1 change, bringing in Milne and moving Devlin further forward because watching Morris wander around looking for something to do drives me crazy!

Yes and no. They bossed us because we were pish. Different team with confidence, and stronger mentality now. I also think we’re a stronger midfield with sivert, and a bumper crowd helps too.

given miovski has supposedly spoken to clubs it’s harder to play him now that a transfer seems close. Do a Lewis Ferguson and it’s a nightmare. Maybe a last few mins cameo/goodbye?

to be fair to Morris, as much as I don’t rate him either, he’s not been awful. Involved in mcgraths goal on Monday, and has goals and assists in league cup. He starts for now.

following up on gueye, has he ever started for us? I don’t think he’s been given enough time and I think there’s something there. Miovski and sokler have good chemistry, why not try gueye with sokler? With limited midfielders and JT saying ante isn’t quite ready, why not try him with from the start?

On 07/08/2024 at 21:41, Elgindon said:

Potentially to be a good watch,unfortunately Ive a family thing up the road so wont make it.We've shown signs of being pretty effective going forward in some games,hopefully better to come. Saints may also trouble our not quite settled defence though...

Oot

Prediction - 3 - 2 Dons. McGrath,Sokler,McKenzie

Coulda telt me it was the morn...

Now In

Y

COYR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Miovski absolutely should be starting - we don't owe Girona anything and they haven't met the asking price yet. 

Chances are those negotiations drag on anyway. He could still be here by the time of the Queen's Park game. 

If MacDonald is fit (and he's training) then I'd pick him over Rubezic. Palaversa likely makes an appearance at some point if Shinnie and/or Nilsen run out of gas again.

Morris isn't good enough. Stop making excuses for him.

IMG_4840.thumb.jpeg.b4d14c8f9ca5627595e550af73a2e5db.jpeg

2-0 to the good guys.

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

Yes and no. They bossed us because we were pish. Different team with confidence, and stronger mentality now. I also think we’re a stronger midfield with sivert, and a bumper crowd helps too.

given miovski has supposedly spoken to clubs it’s harder to play him now that a transfer seems close. Do a Lewis Ferguson and it’s a nightmare. Maybe a last few mins cameo/goodbye?

to be fair to Morris, as much as I don’t rate him either, he’s not been awful. Involved in mcgraths goal on Monday, and has goals and assists in league cup. He starts for now.

following up on gueye, has he ever started for us? I don’t think he’s been given enough time and I think there’s something there. Miovski and sokler have good chemistry, why not try gueye with sokler? With limited midfielders and JT saying ante isn’t quite ready, why not try him with from the start?

Unless I was more pushed than I thought I was, he started when we were in Helsinki 😉

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Unless I was more pushed than I thought I was, he started when we were in Helsinki 😉

You probably were more pished than you thought! He was on the "field" for the first half though I can't remember him doing anything.

24 minutes ago, Jute said:

Gueye? Do we have two players called Gueye?

As it can’t be the same one that played on Monday getting a game again.

Through the middle though, out the way, none of the right wing pish. Flick-ons and head down and charge. He's getting a goal. 

Edit: I've warmed to him since the open training session when he hit the kid in the face with one of his shots. He has the potential for legend status.

Edited by RicoS321
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Through the middle though, out the way, none of the right wing pish. Flick-ons and head down and charge. He's getting a goal. 

Edit: I've warmed to him since the open training session when he hit the kid in the face with one of his shots. He has the potential for legend status.

Papa Gueye Faceball 1 - St Mirren 0

Meh first half, glimpse of good play but st mirren aren’t a bad side. Guess we get used to giving opponents possession too, that’s a factor. Plus a shitty equalizer.

Morris started well but has disappeared. as one who has spoken up for him, sokler has been poor so far, should have been stronger through on goal, plus loads of heavy touches. He’s got to link and not doing that much at present. Hard to read gueye, not bad but takes too many touches at times but not to the extreme of duk. 
nervous about sivert, can he play the rest of the game on a booking. At the same time, same said for Shawn Rooney.

Commentators curse there. 

Good start, ester should probably have gone first time but gogic was niggling. 

Not really got the wingers into it. Could be better, could be worse. I'd bring in Vinny and take off gueye moving McGrath to 10 or off for another striker. 

Doesn't have the pace on the left to get away from his man.

Good result, could've had more ball but nobody will grumble with six points.

Plus points: Nilsen dominated that game and rarely wasted the ball. Devlin beating his man time and again, huge shift in confidence. Molloy looks a player. ( Error apart ). Great to see Vinny involved and scoring.

Negative: need to create more chances and the defensive blip. Didn't think gueye or Ambrose really took their chances.

All in all happy with that, I don't think we can claim to be challengers yet but we've certainly improved already.

22 minutes ago, redordead said:

Good result, could've had more ball but nobody will grumble with six points.

Plus points: Nilsen dominated that game and rarely wasted the ball. Devlin beating his man time and again, huge shift in confidence. Molloy looks a player. ( Error apart ). Great to see Vinny involved and scoring.

Negative: need to create more chances and the defensive blip. Didn't think gueye or Ambrose really took their chances.

All in all happy with that, I don't think we can claim to be challengers yet but we've certainly improved already.

Molloy has been pretty solid first two league games. However, I’m not sure if st mirren were big up top but I don’t recall him winning many headers. Is he poor in the air?? Poor goal to lose but of the three I think ruby should have got it away.

vinnie looked lively, I’d rather see him start over Morris…... although new guy starts over both. Thought sokler was poor and Ambrose just doesn’t look very good. Gueye looks like a decent player to bring off the bench. Starting to think a new 9 is needed. 

didn’t think we were great today, but second half I though we were in control. we’re also buying time until another starting player or two comes in. Worried about sivert seeing red after the early booking but thought he handled it well. Today, sivert booking and shinnie getting hurt, it’s a day a solid third center mid is needed. Hope that’s ante.

Lastly, we have a few too many divers for my liking, McGrath in particular.

Edited by OrlandoDon