Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Aberdeen v Kilmarnock

We have played some great stuff so far with Sokler the only player a bit quiet. Gueye took his goal well and has generally looked like a football at points. Some ball in from Shinnie but if anyone is getting an assist for that it should be Nilsen. 3 times I think he regained possession just outside the box in the build up to keep the pressure on. 

Good half. Nelsen again outstanding, just running the show. 

Should be a couple up and missed some real chances. 

Only downside is that we haven't put it to bed and Killie will come out determined to steal something. 

Keskinen still to convince me that he's any better than Morris after that half. Hopefully just nerves.

Gueye been good, the goal a bonus. Plays as a fine link-up man. I did suggest after the Queen's Park game that Gueye and Sokler couldn't play together as they're similar. Sokler been quiet but I think that's because he would revel more in the role Gueye is playing in.

With that, can see Nesbit on soon to be that number nine, and either Sokler will move back if Gueye is tiring, or it'll be a Nesbit/Sokler swap.

Shinnie seems to play as a pendulum around Nilsen. Makes him impossible to pick up. Sometimes leaves Nilsen a bit exposed though, and against a better team could cause problems, especially as Gueye is sometimes a bit too careless in possession with some of his attempted flicks.

Aye second half I actually thought we were poor, even though we got the second goal. 

We were really wasteful with the ball, mainly when we tried to go long. Rubezic was over hitting everything, Gueye's performance dropped a lot in the second half. I thought we looked better when we put on Ambrose and Nisbet in those last 10 minutes, but maybe that was just because Killie were done at that point.

Sokler is a puzzle. His movement is really good, but his finishing is not. At times though you see him and Gueye standing in the same spot waiting for a cross. That's maybe more Gueye's fault - when Ambrose and Nisbet were on you could see Nisbet being more aware of dropping away from Ambrose and finding space. But, if Nisbet and/or Ambrose are fit enough to start at Dingwall then it's harder to make the case for Sokler keeping his place.

Despite my moans, can't complain too much about what was a comfortable 2-0 win. Nilsen, Shinnie, Molloy, Mackenzie and McGrath were really good. Gueye, first half at least, offered a really good option there but is a raw talent - when he keeps it simple he's good, when he tries the wee flicks he's not.

So many options for Thelin now going forward. A month ago the worry was that we were weaker squad wise than last season, now there's no question we're stronger.

Would still like another centre half in before Friday. Other than that I'm happy with the squad. Clarkson and Polvara still to come back, I hope MacDonald stays but fear he won't - he's not getting a sniff at the minute. Maybe we bring in a CB and MacDonald goes on loan until January.

32 minutes ago, Panda said:

Aye second half I actually thought we were poor, even though we got the second goal. 

We were really wasteful with the ball, mainly when we tried to go long. Rubezic was over hitting everything, Gueye's performance dropped a lot in the second half. I thought we looked better when we put on Ambrose and Nisbet in those last 10 minutes, but maybe that was just because Killie were done at that point.

Sokler is a puzzle. His movement is really good, but his finishing is not. At times though you see him and Gueye standing in the same spot waiting for a cross. That's maybe more Gueye's fault - when Ambrose and Nisbet were on you could see Nisbet being more aware of dropping away from Ambrose and finding space. But, if Nisbet and/or Ambrose are fit enough to start at Dingwall then it's harder to make the case for Sokler keeping his place.

Despite my moans, can't complain too much about what was a comfortable 2-0 win. Nilsen, Shinnie, Molloy, Mackenzie and McGrath were really good. Gueye, first half at least, offered a really good option there but is a raw talent - when he keeps it simple he's good, when he tries the wee flicks he's not.

So many options for Thelin now going forward. A month ago the worry was that we were weaker squad wise than last season, now there's no question we're stronger.

Would still like another centre half in before Friday. Other than that I'm happy with the squad. Clarkson and Polvara still to come back, I hope MacDonald stays but fear he won't - he's not getting a sniff at the minute. Maybe we bring in a CB and MacDonald goes on loan until January.

Feel pretty similar to this, meh performance, didn’t think we were very good today but it’s great to get another win. Killie were clearly not at their best and didn’t push us as much as they would have if they’d no Europe like us. We didn’t see many/any of the attacking combinations that we’ve seen in previous games, no link up play from the forwards and attacking runs in behind, but for the most part we were in total control of that game. Thought devlin rarely attacked and McGrath was quieter than normal. Topi didn’t do anything much either.

sokler is playing himself out of a starting role. Another game he hasn’t scored, when he should have. If nisbet is fit and gets a full week of training in I think he starts next weekend.

shout out or morris, another game where I shout ffs morris at the iPad. Another passage of play where we are in a great attacking spot and Morris makes the wrong decision.

3 out of 3 in the league while the squad transitions, good to get the window closed and a secure a steady team and rotations. 

Thought we were only at 70% today,if that. Without Shinnies drive and eye for a pass,along with Nilsen,think we may have struggled to break Killie down.Didnt help that number of players had quieter than desired performances,and while were still experimenting a bit with players, a 2 nil win v stuffy Killie isnt to be sniffed at.

Shinnie,Nilsen and Ruby the better players today.Gueye,goals aside,may be better left sniffing around the box,outside the box he was pretty clumsy.Still hoping Sokler comes good,a goal would help 

Ps the crowd today given as 16'100.Looked about right in the ground,but there were only 700 tickets left at K/O. Have we changed how we calculate it this season? ie folks in the ground rather than STs and tickets sales?

Aye, a good game for the Dons all round. No passengers today, but Sokler was quite poor despite putting in the work. Shinnie and Nielsen very good in the centre, Shinnie with another lovely assist. McGrath probably top Don. Couple of great strong headers from Gueye, who put in a good shift. Ambrose had his best game for us yet, holding onto the ball for more than three seconds at one point. Nisbet didn't get much opportunity, nor Palaversa, who's quite a big lad. McKenzie played well, and Devlin started well but stopped making the runs beyond Keskinen which meant we didn't get much going down that side. McGrath makes McKenzie a better player. 

3 hours ago, redordead said:

Keskinen still to convince me that he's any better than Morris after that half. Hopefully just nerves.

As John McEnroe would say "Are you being serious!"...even though he didn't do much today, his darts across the line were excellent and he knows what he's going to do before he gets the ball.  When Ambrose broke away down the right, passed to Morris in the middle and all he had to do was take a touch and play it left where we were 2 on 1...instead he took a second touch, and because he lightning quick, lost the ball.  The best I can say about him is that he isn't Matty Kennedy.

• Like 2

First half we were relentless, real top notch pressing play just lacking goals. Second half, for whatever reason, we lost that high tempo intensity but were still fully in control of the match. One of the most promising aspects for me today was the strength of the bench and I'm sure that with match fitness we will see the squad improving week by week as there is a lot better to come from this team and with the return of Clarkson and Polvara it will become a real question of who we leave out. 

Random thought I had today when Clarkson comes back.In certain games, replacing Sokler or Gueye with McGrath possibly a better option? Tidier,quicker,better use of the ball in tight situations,good eye for goal...?

Edited by Elgindon

2 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Thought we were only at 70% today,if that. Without Shinnies drive and eye for a pass,along with Nilsen,think we may have struggled to break Killie down.Didnt help that number of players had quieter than desired performances,and while were still experimenting a bit with players, a 2 nil win v stuffy Killie isnt to be sniffed at.

The one criticism of Thelin at Elfsborg that I saw a lot when reading what their fans were saying when they were having that sticky spell just before he came to us, was that he's great on the counter attack but doesn't know how to break teams down when they sit in.

It appears he has altered his style somewhat at Aberdeen, perhaps with different players it has given him more options. But breaking down teams hasn't been a huge problem this season.

But then we'll see what it's like, when the time comes, that we're down 1-0 with 15 minutes to go away from home.

2 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Ps the crowd today given as 16'100.Looked about right in the ground,but there were only 700 tickets left at K/O. Have we changed how we calculate it this season? ie folks in the ground rather than STs and tickets sales?

Think that's probably about right when you consider the capacity these days is just over 19,000

Here's two images that show at least 3,000 empty seats in the away end and upper deck.

IMG_5247.thumb.png.d65e96886f6fe6aaea4b63a16e251944.pngIMG_5249.thumb.png.2aca8c719ae5c00a860f732e3d09bcec.png

• Like 1

Another impressive showing from sivert, cruises through games. He’s a good signing (although not so sure on 3 years.) I know ante played little, but looks a big athletic lad, good to have him to rotate and give the old guys a breather.

1 hour ago, OrlandoDon said:

Another impressive showing from sivert, cruises through games. He’s a good signing (although not so sure on 3 years.) I know ante played little, but looks a big athletic lad, good to have him to rotate and give the old guys a breather.

I don't think we were getting him on a short-term contract. At 32 he wasn't leaving Brann to move abroad for anything less than three years and, I imagine, a decent salary.

But when you look at him today patrolling the middle of the park while everyone else plays off him, he can play that role for years. It's what Scott Brown should have been doing for Aberdeen, but instead - possibly due to the players around him and probably frustration - tried to be a box-to-box midfielder. 

From the little I saw of Palaversa, I actually think he's the guy that replaces Shinnie when he needs a rest/gets suspended. I think he described himself as a box-to-box midfielder when he signed.

• Like 2

I'm quite enjoying the Shinnaissance, he seems to be playing with a lot less aggression and frustration, and is committing less fouls and picking up less bookings as a result.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Slim said:

I'm quite enjoying the Shinnaissance, he seems to be playing with a lot less aggression and frustration, and is committing less fouls and picking up less bookings as a result.

That's what happens when you don't force him to do the work of two players. It's testament to his fitness and attitude that he wasn't badly injured last season, which could have had consequences at this time in his career. It really was atrocious management by Robson, I don't think it can be overstated. When you're not arriving late to every tackle and not really having to worry about where your midfield partner is, you're timing has a far greater chance of being successful. Not only that, but the increased efficiency means that you make better decisions and gives you more time on the ball, so it's no surprise to see him deliver telling crosses from space. He'll still tire in games, I'm sure, and his style of play will always result in bookings, but he's been good at managing that throughout his career and will continue to do so. He's a very good SPFL player that I reckon has another season beyond this one at the level he is now. 

Edit to add: it was very frustrating to hear "the legs have gone" nonsense from our own fans last season, without the basic understanding of our team setup. It's not always clear on the telly I guess, you might just get an angle of Shinnie arriving late constantly, but numerous folk at the game could be heard questioning the player over the manager.

Edited by RicoS321
  • Like 3