Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

County vs Dons

Molloy, mitov, keskinen, sivert, and nisbet, 5 starting 11 good new signings. Ground out a win on a day 0-0 or a 1-0 loss could have easily happened.

not only will I say Ambrose gets worse by game, thought there were times he got in the way and did more damage than good. Doesn’t look like he can read a game at all.

Hopefully Morris has been told to do fuck all else except go wide, knock it past the fullback, and run. All he should do.

shout out to devlin, played well and unlucky with the penalty. Good run on the goal.

5 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

not only will I say Ambrose gets worse by game, thought there were times he got in the way and did more damage than good. Doesn’t look like he can read a game at all.

I mean, it's difficult coming on in a game and getting up to the pace with not long to go, but aye, he was absolutely terrible. He genuinely doesn't look like a footballer. I like Thelin's use of the subs, but I think he's just giving Ambrose minutes because he's a new signing. I'm not convinced he's doing anything in training to justify getting on the pitch. If he's getting up to speed, then the international break will do him good. Give him some game time against Spartans.

9 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Not unlike the one he blazed over the bar last week, although today the goal maybe a harder chance?

Aye, I was being slightly facetious, but you're right. The chance today is the sort of one that Sokler wouldn't get his body round and would lean back and sky it. He's definitely better facing the goal, and I'll go back to my previous Darren Mackie comparisons with him. I expect Nisbet has that position to lose now.

Thought keskinen played well and was surprised to see him subbed. Very direct and aggressive, lots to like. And for Morris to come on, I was not happy! Pushes Keskinen to be better I suppose and that must have given Morris confidence!

likewise, nisbet must be buzzing right now. Opposite for sokler, confidence gets lower.

ambrose does not look like the player I watched on YouTube when we first signed him. Once clarkson and polvara are fit I don’t see him getting minutes. Nisbet starts, then sokler and gueye off the bench for sure.

hope McGrath has a concussion at worst, nice lump on the side of his head. If it means anything, it’s the international break and hopefully the two weeks is enough for recovery.

Taking Keskinen off defo had some confused looks in the stands but I have to say Morris was effective when he came on. I think the took on the fb 3 times, beat him 3 times and got a decent balls in 3 times.  Just watched the goal back there, the assist from him was much better than I realised at the time.  It would have been easy to lob it in the box but he's shown really good instinct  to keep it on the deck and find the players in space.  And it was instinct too, if you watch closely he's not looked up from the moment he gets the ball.  Lovely wee step over from Devlin as well. 

Chefs kiss the finish from Nisbet, he was fairly anonymous for the majority of the game but given how stodgy and thuggish county were there wasn't much in the way of service coming his way. It really was a clinical strike too, right in the corner.  Here's hoping he goes on a run but it's brilliant he's off the mark early and even more so with a last minute winner. 

Let's not forget Mitov though. Tell you what I can understand why the farmers were gutted to lose him.  What an unbelievably shrewd bit of business he has been and this win was earned by him as much as Nisbet.  The penalty award was such a sickener and I didn't really see what happened due to the distance and sun.  It was such a brilliant feeling when he saved it though and now having rewatched it .......  That's probably the best penalty save I've seen from a dons keeper since Theo's in the 90 Cup final. There was nothing wrong with the penalty and most goalies wouldn't get close to that even if they guessed the right way. It genuinely might be worth giving him a pay rise and extending his deal already because I would not be at all surprised if bigger fish weren't sniffing about him soon. 

On a personal note I really enjoyed being part of the crowd again and the away support was excellent all game.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

That's about 5 seats away from where I was funnily enough.  The sun had just gone down too, it was such a pain in the arse all game and this was the first attack where I wasn't squinting. 

Even had that game finished 0-0 I would thought it was still a positive afternoon for us, when you consider we're supposed to be a team in transition. We faced a tough challenge and did well.

Defensively look good, Nilsen and Shinnie may very well turn out to be my favourite ever midfield pairing, Keskinen was really good, Vinnie was also good off the bench. Devlin excellent even with conceding penalty and agree Mitov is a real coup for us.

To win it in the 98th minute is a bonus.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Panda said:

Even had that game finished 0-0 I would thought it was still a positive afternoon for us, when you consider we're supposed to be a team in transition. We faced a tough challenge and did well.

Defensively look good, Nilsen and Shinnie may very well turn out to be my favourite ever midfield pairing, Keskinen was really good, Vinnie was also good off the bench. Devlin excellent even with conceding penalty and agree Mitov is a real coup for us.

Nilsen and Shinnie compared to Simmie and Tattie?  Seriously?

Edited by dons8321

24 minutes ago, dons8321 said:

He said his favourite, not the best. If you're under the age of fifty, those two probably aren't going to be on your list.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Hard for me to see it that way. Other than rangers and Celtic which are tougher games, I’m disappointed if we don’t win. Would certainly have seen a 0-0 as two points dropped regardless of being in transition. Bar the old firm, everyone else can beat everyone else. It’s winning games like this that are a must, especially if we expect Europe and 3rd (or dare I stupidly say ‘or better?)

What impressed me with us is we don’t seem to panic. We didn’t see last minute pump it long, and the goal highlights that, a nice well created goal. Think the experience and leadership of sivert is a factor there.

any news on McGrath?

1 hour ago, dons8321 said:

49 minutes ago, KGB said:

He's not old enough 

48 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

He said his favourite, not the best. If you're under the age of fifty, those two probably aren't going to be on your list.

Exactly, I'm just a young thing full of the zest of life.

First game I think was 87, and even then until 92 was watched very much through the eyes of a child.

I liked Rico and Jess, but Jess especially was a very different player (was more of a 4-4-2 in those days).

Shinnie-Jack could be good at times but there always seemed something off about Jack, can't quite put my finger on it. Had the same feeling with Barron, dunno what it was.

So aye, Shinnie-Nilsen, legends. Especially when the trophies start arriving.

And plus, let's be honest here, they're both better than Simmie and Tattie. Gothenburg? Game would have been won in 90 minutes with those two.

13 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Hard for me to see it that way. Other than rangers and Celtic which are tougher games, I’m disappointed if we don’t win. Would certainly have seen a 0-0 as two points dropped regardless of being in transition. Bar the old firm, everyone else can beat everyone else. It’s winning games like this that are a must, especially if we expect Europe and 3rd (or dare I stupidly say ‘or better?)

Think you've picked me up wrong. I would have seen a draw as points dropped too, I was remarking more on the performance and the team's ongoing baby steps towards being the all-dominant force we are destined to become.

I'd still have been happy with the performance even had we not won. That we still did win is a bonus.

13 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

What impressed me with us is we don’t seem to panic. We didn’t see last minute pump it long, and the goal highlights that, a nice well created goal. Think the experience and leadership of sivert is a factor there.

Yeh, noticed that too. 

I said during the week that under Thelin we seem to have developed a knack of being able to break stuffy teams down, but that maybe if we were chasing a goal with 15 minutes to go it'd be different.

Now maybe being 1-0 down it would have been different, but we were still so patient, passing it around the back and running at them rather than lumping it into the box.

The crowd stuck with the team too.  There was no point they were getting on their back even when Ambrose was making some really silly decisions. There's a real unity at the club at the moment, stronger than I've ever seen 2bh, and long may it continue. 

It's nice to see us top of the league but if I put on my pragmatic hat I think I want celtic to stuff them tomorrow.  We can't keep pace with them long term but if they win we are 5 clear of der hun and they ain't clawing that back too quickly I don't think. 

That was some game.  Wonder what Jimmy thinks of VAR now?

Special mention for Devlin, he doesn't make significant errors often, but when he does he absolutely hurls himself into the game in an effort to make up for it.  Seem to remember something similar when he first joined and he was at fault for the opening goal, he just went full Hulk smash until he had got us a goal back.

14 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Hopefully Morris has been told to do fuck all else except go wide, knock it past the fullback, and run. All he should do.

Thelin pretty much said this was the case in his post match interview with Premier, said Morris was brought on with the sole instructon to just have a go at the tiring fullbacks every chance he got.   Morris the super-sub?

Only negative, Ambrose still looks sub-traffic cone level and he seemed more use to Ross County than the Dons when he came on today.