Times: Crunch time for Jimmy Calderwood as Aberdeen plumb the depths

Guest fatshaft

I expect that this shall be one of many articles written in the next wee while that mask a willingness to goad Aberdeen fans into taking action.

Sure, we are none too pleased about the current situation at Pittodrie, but some of the nonsense wasting ink on rags and broadsheets is just terrible.

If you read too many of these articles then the underlaying current seems to be that these papers want nothing less than a lynch mob outside the main entrance of Pittodrie calling for Calderwood's head.

Lets not forget that these scenes would help sell the product that these chinless wonders punt.

Spiers is normally a decent kind of journo, but I think he's bought into the tabloid mentality slightly by misjudging the Aberdeen fans mood. I have no doubt that if we don't start getting results soon, then the tabloids will have their way and some fans will buy into the inuendo of the press.

Sorry Caroline, but I think the opposite is the case. For a long time, they've waffled on about our 'unrealistic expectations', and our constant (sic) references to the glory years, when in actual fact that couldn't be further from the truth. Never have they hinted that the long standing Jimmy out mob (of which I was not one, but have been converted over the last couple of games) had a case at all, rather they ridiculed the very thought that we would be prepared to dump such a 'successful' manager.

The fact that his friends in the west coast media are now reporting the grumblings of discontent are mark a major shift in their reporting on what the Dons fans are saying. They are not leading, they are undoubtedly following.

Oh, and Spiers is a total wank.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get to the final four of a competition is an achievement

What a load of pish! It all depends on who you play.

Our cup record under Jimmy:

04/05

League Cup Exit: Lost first game to rangers 2-0 at home. Pretty much as expected.

Scottish cup Exit: Second Game losing 4-1 to United. "Dundee United eased into the semi-final of the Scottish Cup with an emphatic win over Aberdeen."07/08

05/06

League Cup Exit: Loss to Motherwell in the 2nd game.

Scottish cup Exit: Lost 3-0 in the second game v hearts - one of the worst refereeing performances I have ever seen, but we did deserve to lose!

06/07

League Cup Exit: First game defeat to Queens park. Need I say anything about this fucktard of a game?

Scottish cup Exit: Knocked out by hibs in our first game (replay) 4-1, shambolic two at the back formation, the first game I ever walked out before full time.

07/08 (Good cup year run)

First game v Partick won 2-0, would have been a different game if Langfield hadn't saved a pen at 0-0. Next a very nice 4-1 victory over ICT.....

League Cup exit: Horsed 4-1 at Tynecastle, total collapse, disgrace of a performance.

First game was against Falkirk, good start by us but it went to replay after it ended 2-2, we went through beating them 3-1 at home. Second game scrape through against Hamilton 1-0. Quarter final drew with Celtic at home and went to replay at Celtic Park. Hung on and grabbed the goal, best bounce of the season......but then came the Semi.

Scottish cup exit: Humiliated by QotS losing 4 goals in a defensive nightmare, and threw away the chance to play in the UEFA cup.

08/09

League Cup exit: Another defensive nightmare as Killie beat us 4-2.

How can being horsed by one of our main rivals be success and then being knocked out by QotS when UEFA qualification was there too, be success?

Please tell me!  ::)

Guest Caroline B

Sorry Caroline, but I think the opposite is the case. For a long time, they've waffled on about our 'unrealistic expectations', and our constant (sic) references to the glory years, when in actual fact that couldn't be further from the truth. Never have they hinted that the long standing Jimmy out mob (of which I was not one, but have been converted over the last couple of games) had a case at all, rather they ridiculed the very thought that we would be prepared to dump such a 'successful' manager.

The fact that his friends in the west coast media are now reporting the grumblings of discontent are mark a major shift in their reporting on what the Dons fans are saying. They are not leading, they are undoubtedly following.

Oh, and Spiers is a total wank.

You obviously read different things into articles that I do Fatshaft. Over the last week or so, several rags have been mentioning previous fan protests and therefore using inuendo to get to Aberdeen fans. They would like nothing more than to have a fans revolt. They have used this as a tool to get fans thinking along a certain line and you would have to be blind not to have seen this recently.

Of course you are right in saying that Aberdeen fans "Unrealistic expectations" has been bandied around for years now and they don't seem to reralise that we are being totally realistic and don't expect our team to win leagues and European trophies.

The west coast media have been reporting a section of discontented fans not liking Calderwood for some time now, so saying they are following and not leading is a bit of a red herring.

Spiers may be a total wank, but as I have never met the man couldn't possibly comment

You obviously read different things into articles that I do Fatshaft. Over the last week or so, several rags have been mentioning previous fan protests and therefore using inuendo to get to Aberdeen fans. They would like nothing more than to have a fans revolt. They have used this as a tool to get fans thinking along a certain line and you would have to be blind not to have seen this recently.

Of course you are right in saying that Aberdeen fans "Unrealistic expectations" has been bandied around for years now and they don't seem to reralise that we are being totally realistic and don't expect our team to win leagues and European trophies.

The west coast media have been reporting a section of discontented fans not liking Calderwood for some time now, so saying they are following and not leading is a bit of a red herring.

Spot on.  :clap:

Some of these so-called journalists would certainly love a fans revolt up here, and I'm not falling for it.

Calderwood will get until xmas to turn it round.

Guest fatshaft

Don't agree Caroline. If your timescale is the last couple of weeks, then they are correct, the fans are grumbling, and for a lot longer than thaey have been reporting it, but our results were keeping their numbers relatively small during that time. There's no doubt the semi defeats started swelling the numbers considerably, and the start of the season has turned this into a stampede of fans into the jimmy must go camp.

They are not in any way leading the fans here, but following behind and reporting the growing discontent that is evident.

Would sacking the Jimmy's not be very expensive for Aberdeen?

We're all fecked off by the situation the club are in, but getting rid of Calderwood would be an unnecessary expense in my opinion, not to mention an unwelcome decision amongst the playing staff.  If anybody can come up with a sensible and affordable replacement for Jimmy, somebody who you honestly believe would take the job, and improve the situation, then please let me know.

There is absolutely nothing between third and twelvth in the SPL just now, two good results and we start talking about Europe again.  The Times article comes as a direct result of the rumblings amongst our support.  

The truth is It's time for us all to get behind the players, and the management, and this mini crisis will be over before Christmas.

Some of these so-called journalists would certainly love a fans revolt up here, and I'm not falling for it.

But they are not instigating it, are you saying I'm under the spell of the West Coast Media? I have been over him since when we went the whole of December 05 without a victory and I know a few other people who are the same as me. After the Queens Park game in the following August, that was it for me.

I have been over him since when we went the whole of December 05 without a victory and I know a few other people who are the same as me.

Since then we finished 3rd in the league, then 4th, got to the last 32 of the UEFA cup etc...etc...

Just as well you're in a tiny minority.  ;D

Since then we finished 3rd in the league, then 4th, got to the last 32 of the UEFA cup etc...etc...

Just as well you're in a tiny minority.  ;D

Cheers for answering my question  ::):wave::thumbsup:

Do I think he is the only person that could have been manager and achieve that? No, I think other managers with the same resources could have done the same.

You mention the 3rd place finish, you may think I'm crazy, but for me it signifies why I don't trust Calderwood. I thought (and so did many others) we might just get 2nd place and a champions league against a struggling rangers team. I remember coming out of Fir Park on a cold wet Tuesday night after playing pretty shite, we had got ahead and then Foster scored his screamer to win the game. The atmosphere outside the ground was electric, everyone knew what the game meant on Saturday, and everyone was singing bring on the rangers as we knew that they were there for the taking. There was excitement and the chat all the way back in the car was how we were going to do the huns on saturday.

Saturday came, and still the excitement was there and the atmosphere in Ibrox was amazing. This lasted for 3 minutes before another collapseTM by the team as we lost 3 goals in 30 minutes, I have never hated a moment as much as then. Using the cover of half-time we left the ground and went straight home.

Yes we went on to have to have two of my favourite football memories that season (1-1 at Tynecastle and 2-0 at Pittodrie v the huns) and qualified for the UEFA cup, but the thing that annoys me is these massive drops in form in big games that crops up with too much frequency.

It's just another Mizer JC witch hunt.

Its people who think that JC is the best manager on the planet, use arguments like look at the years/managers prior to Calderwood, and we reached two semi-finals last season who make me point out that the sun does not shine out of his backside.

FFS when did not liking a waffling oaf become a bad thing?

Its people who think that JC is the best manager on the planet, use arguments like look at the years/managers prior to Calderwood, and we reached two semi-finals last season who make me point out that the sun does not shine out of his backside.

FFS when did not liking a waffling oaf become a bad thing?

Where has anyone said he is the best manager on the planet? All you do is point out the negatives. But remember you won a stare down with him, that must have been pretty positive for you.

I certainly don't think he is the best manager on the planet.  I think it may be time for a change, but I'm not calling for anybody's head just yet.  All I'm saying is that to suggest we should have got rid of him in 2005 is nonsense IMHO.

Do I think he is the only person that could have been manager and achieve that? No, I think other managers with the same resources could have done the same.

Maybe so, but that's a completely pointless argument.

JC DID achieve all that - it is hypothetical if anyone else could.

It's like arguing that you forgot to play the lottery one week and your numbers came up. Pointless.

JC ain't going nowhere soon - can we all move along and live with it.

Yeah best manager on the planet, you hear that all the time. ::)

Most would accept quite happily the sun don't shine out his arse Mizer. There is a complete myth that Calderwood is immune to criticism or that he hasn't made big mistakes for some, it really is utter bollocks and I reckon most don't need to have it pointed out where the sun doesn't shine from.

But to suggest that a manager should be dumped on the basis of one bad run in any season is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah best manager on the planet, you hear that all the time. ::)

Most would accept quite happily the sun don't shine out his arse Mizer. There is a complete myth that Calderwood is immune to criticism or that he hasn't made big mistakes for some, it really is utter bollocks and I reckon most don't need to have it pointed out where the sun doesn't shine from.

But to suggest that a manager should be dumped on the basis of one bad run in any season is pretty ridiculous.

+1

But remember TF, he should have been gone in 2005!!

http://www.sportinglife.com/fanzine/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/10/07/manual_181526.html

IS IT THE END FOR CALDERWOOD?

To the casual observer Aberdeen enjoyed a successful season in 2007/08. They qualified through the group stage of the UEFA Cup against all odds before holding German giants Bayern Munich to a thrilling 2-2 draw at Pittodrie. They knocked Celtic out of the Scottish Cup at Parkhead on their way to the semi-finals and all that came after a run to the last four of the CIS Cup and was rounded off by a fourth-placed finish in the SPL.

So why do many of the Pittodrie faithful want to see the management team of Jimmy Calderwood and Jimmy Nicholl replaced after a disappointing start to this season?

It's fair to say Calderwood has never been fully accepted by fans in the north east for a number of reasons. His tactical awareness has often been questioned, many of his signings have flopped and sometimes his comments in the press only succeed in antagonising fans further.

Calderwood is fond of using the 'great expectations' of the Dons fans when attempting to deflect criticism but it's a lazy generalisation to make.

Yes the Dons fans expect their side to be challenging for third place and the two domestic cups most seasons while at the same time producing attractive, attacking football and making the Old Firm work for their victories but they don't demand the SPL titles and extended runs in Europe or anything else out of the ordinary for one of the biggest non-Old Firm club like Calderwood seems to suggest.

As Calderwood would no doubt point out, the results speak for themselves. He's finished fourth, third, sixth and fourth again in the SPL and on top of last season at many other clubs he would be considered an undoubted success

Despite that, his style of play, occasionally baffling tactics and lack of an obvious long term plan have combined to crowds dwindling with just over 11,000 turning up for the clash with Dundee United and 1,000 less for the defeat to Hibs last week.

He has come in for some intense criticism this season after three home defeats out of four, but the final nail in his coffin came last season in April when his side shipped four goals to Queen of the South at Hampden and missed out on their first Scottish Cup final for eight years. Add that to the embarrassing 4-1 thrashing at the hands of Dundee United at the same stage of the CIS Cup and fans were frustrated that two glorious opportunities to make a cup final had been spurned.

It probably doesn't help Calderwood that since he took over, both Hearts and Hibs have won a major trophy while Dundee United and Dunfermline twice, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Gretna and Queen of the South have all enjoyed a day out at the national stadium.

Despite the stick he has received in recent weeks, director of football Willie Miller publicly stated the club will stick by him but it's hard to see the Govan-born former Dunfermline boss holding on for too much longer.

The Dons failed to qualify for Europe this season and have already been dumped out of the Co-operative Insurance Cup 4-2 by Kilmarnock

Given money was tight this summer even after their cup exploits of last season, Miller and chariman Stewart Milne may look at the crowd figures and decide that paying off Calderwood and Nicholl is the best option in the long run even though it would cost as they signed new three-year deals in January.

Having said all that, there can be no doubt that overall Calderwood has done a good job at Pittodrie. The club were languishing in the lower reaches of the SPL before he arrived and have achieved some memorable one-off results such as the 4-0 win over FC Copenhagen which secured a glamour tie against Bayern Munich, the Bayern game itself at home and a couple of wins over the Old Firm.

Had Calderwood left in the summer he would have left with his reputation intact and his stock high, ensuring a half-decent job down south. But it now looks as if he will be hounded out by disgruntled fans.

As Calderwood likes to point out, he has lost the likes of Russell Anderson, Barry Nicholson and Kevin McNaughton in the last two years but he has a group of players who seemingly can't lose at Pittodrie to Rangers, have beaten the then-Danish champions, drawn with Bayern Munich and came within 12 minutes of beating Celtic in Glasgow for the second time in six months yet have lost to a First Division side at Hampden and at home to Inverness, Hamilton, Dundee United and Hibs already this season.

The 53-year-old is the third-longest serving manager in the SPL and in an environment where you seem to be playing the same teams and seeing the same faces every couple of months, perhaps a change is needed almost for change's sake.

Of course the grass is not always greener and it's highly debatable whether the Dons can afford a better management team but maybe they've taken Aberdeen as far as they can, or possibly as far as the club can go.

Either way a change is needed and defeats in away games to Falkirk and Hearts after the international break would surely mean Calderwood is not around to witness the latest in a long line of paltry attendances at Pittodrie when Kilmarnock make the trip north at the beginning of November.

Good and bad points in the article.

Make up your own minds about whether he should be sacked though - journalists can't wait for it to happen as this sort of thing keeps them in jobs.

Also don't think attendances will miraculously increase as a recession bites.

Spot on jager. Any journalist advocating a manager getting the dunt in this way is just a cunt.

Good and bad points in the article.

Make up your own minds about whether he should be sacked though - journalists can't wait for it to happen as this sort of thing keeps them in jobs.

Also don't think attendances will miraculously increase as a recession bites.

Agreed. Re other comments earlier in the thread, don't think Calderwood should be sacked on the back of this, if we're still where we are in December, then yes, but not now. I find it hard to get positive and up beat about Aberdeen at the moment, but I know this isn't going to last, our luck HAS to change. The team are good enough, and Calderwood has proved he can do it. I just wish they would all hurry up! Hopefully the international break will give them all time to reflect and a kick up the arse, because some of our team should be involved in the international setup. They have only themselves to blame.

A voice of reason Manc.  I honestly think the last two or three games we have been better. I know its cliche now after calderwood using these phrases ad nauseum, but it HAS be individual errors that have cost us games alongside our "strikers" just not scoring.  In general we have been better at the back and we are certaintly creating many, many goal scoring chances, so our midfield now look ok.

We have to be wary about the media actualy creating astory when one doesnt exist.  The west coast hacks jump on every cance to tear us down.  I would reckon that most fans would give him until Xmas, but then also to the Jan transfer window to make changes where they are needed.

A voice of reason Manc.  I honestly think the last two or three games we have been better. I know its cliche now after calderwood using these phrases ad nauseum, but it HAS be individual errors that have cost us games alongside our "strikers" just not scoring.  In general we have been better at the back and we are certaintly creating many, many goal scoring chances, so our midfield now look ok.

We have to be wary about the media actualy creating astory when one doesnt exist.  The west coast hacks jump on every cance to tear us down.  I would reckon that most fans would give him until Xmas, but then also to the Jan transfer window to make changes where they are needed.

This individual errors thing... fair enough, these things happen and have to be accepted, but to happen a couple of times every week and actually costing us goals every week is coming the cunt. They're his players, most of whom he's signed, who are regularly making "individual errors".  He's signed a few utterly pish goalkeepers, the best of which seems to lose his bottle after a half eaten hamburger is thrown at him, he's signed defenders of complete incompetence and continues to play defenders of the same level, so what does he expect?

I agree that he deserves a bit of time, but he should stop the bullshit excuses. Individual errors are part of the team's general malaise. When the whole team plays well, these individual errors become less frequent and less crucial.

Guest fatshaft

Not since Jimmy arrived they haven't.

And they're following the lead of Dons fans (belatedly) here, not leading/creating an upsurge in anti-Jimmy feeling.