Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Times: Crunch time for Jimmy Calderwood as Aberdeen plumb the depths

mizer

Fair enough Bobby, but what choice does he have?  He doesnt drop any of the backline just now because he knows his only options are to replace them with the likes of Duff-who hasnt had a start for a while now, which makes me think that Calderwood KNOWS hes not up to standard, and to put Severin and Foster back, which have been discussed before.

I think Calderwood KNOWS his best backline, is trying to stick to it (for a change) and is hoping that these stupid bloody mistakes stop.  After all, why else is he frantically trying to get Mulgrew's red card rescinded?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not since Jimmy arrived they haven't.

And they're following the lead of Dons fans (belatedly) here, not leading/creating an upsurge in anti-Jimmy feeling.

What we have to be careful of though is that the press dont whip up anti JC feeling wen its not there.  I agree that there is a growing element of anti-JC feeling, but its the scale of it that we have to gaurd against.  If we use the same mathematics that the hacks use for celtic in thier away european games, then all the poulation in Aberdeen, Inverness, Orkney and Shetland with a bit of Norway as well want JC to go.

Fair enough Bobby, but what choice does he have?  He doesnt drop any of the backline just now because he knows his only options are to replace them with the likes of Duff

With the exception of Diamond he signed them, if he has a lack of alternatives or consistency at the back, he has to be pretty culpable for that. He needs a centre half. He cannot be expected to sign someone who will adequately replace Anderson, it would be daft to expect that, but expecting SOMEONE to come in or at least stick with 2 recognised, first choice centre backs is the very least that should happen.

Fair enough Bobby, but what choice does he have?  He doesnt drop any of the backline just now because he knows his only options are to replace them with the likes of Duff-who hasnt had a start for a while now, which makes me think that Calderwood KNOWS hes not up to standard, and to put Severin and Foster back, which have been discussed before.

I think Calderwood KNOWS his best backline, is trying to stick to it (for a change) and is hoping that these stupid bloody mistakes stop.  After all, why else is he frantically trying to get Mulgrew's red card rescinded?

Then why sign him?  He can't moan about these things if he's brought it on himself. I can understand what you're saying, but nearly every excuse or reason comes back to his poor signings or poor tactics.

And sad to say, but Mulgrew is the most likely source of goals for us at the moment, be that through him directly or through him setting them up.

With regards Duff, I think he bought him to beef up the squad.  I think Calderwood realised that having as small a squad as he had last season was counter productive, so to solve that, he has his preferred starting 11 and a bunch of squad players to fill in gaps, say for a half in a game, or one game until an injury clears up.

With regards Duff, I think he bought him to beef up the squad.  I think Calderwood realised that having as small a squad as he had last season was counter productive, so to solve that, he has his preferred starting 11 and a bunch of squad players to fill in gaps, say for a half in a game, or one game until an injury clears up.

I was led to believe that Duff had played well when in midfield. ???

Guest fatshaft

What we have to be careful of though is that the press dont whip up anti JC feeling wen its not there.  I agree that there is a growing element of anti-JC feeling, but its the scale of it that we have to gaurd against.  If we use the same mathematics that the hacks use for celtic in thier away european games, then all the poulation in Aberdeen, Inverness, Orkney and Shetland with a bit of Norway as well want JC to go.

Very fair points CS.

Not being in Aberdeen, I can't gauge the overall feeling. However it is strange to see this site so heavily in favour of jimmy, while the Hat is so heavily against him. It's clear there is a big divide still among the fans.

To be fair to the press though, they are pnly saying that opinion is starting to turn against Jimmy, they're not reporting that the fans want him out, even though many do. I would say their coverage is still giving him quite a lot of benefit.

Very fair points CS.

Not being in Aberdeen, I can't gauge the overall feeling. However it is strange to see this site so heavily in favour of jimmy, while the Hat is so heavily against him. It's clear there is a big divide still among the fans.

To be fair to the press though, they are pnly saying that opinion is starting to turn against Jimmy, they're not reporting that the fans want him out, even though many do. I would say their coverage is still giving him quite a lot of benefit.

I dunno fatshaft, we've had that Sporting Life article and one earlier, ridiculously over dramatically entitled "Dead Man Walking", in the former the "journalist" is advocating Calderwood getting fired, the latter implied he was near enough away already.

I dont trust the hacks as far as I can throw them.  We will not win from this.

Scenario 1: Calderwood gets sack.  press content will include drivel such as "over expectant Dons fans hound manager out".  "Fans never liked Weegie boss", "Dons fire most succesful manager since Fergie"

Scenario 2: Calderwood remains until end of season or longer.  Press excrete "dons warned at start of season that poor form has dire consequences".  "continuing emarassment for Dons as relegated/knocked out of cup."  "Calderwood fails to manage top six place".

They will find a stick to beat Calderwood regardless of what happens.

I dont trust the hacks as far as I can throw them.  We will not win from this.

Scenario 1: Calderwood gets sack.  press content will include drivel such as "over expectant Dons fans hound manager out".  "Fans never liked Weegie boss", "Dons fire most succesful manager since Fergie"

Scenario 2: Calderwood remains until end of season or longer.  Press excrete "dons warned at start of season that poor form has dire consequences".  "continuing emarassment for Dons as relegated/knocked out of cup."  "Calderwood fails to manage top six place".

They will find a stick to beat Calderwood regardless of what happens.

Or perhaps just not read the papers?

Who gives a fuck what the tabloid press thinks or writes? I don't. I never read them, so it doesn't effect me. If other people want to read them and allow it to sway their mind, then that's their problem.

What we have to be careful of though is that the press dont whip up anti JC feeling wen its not there.  I agree that there is a growing element of anti-JC feeling, but its the scale of it that we have to gaurd against.[b/]

Exactly, TF as other have said, we are only a few games into the season and crap like "dead man walking" trots out.

Why is Levein or  Paataleinen not subjected to this level of negativity?  Both these mangers have had shocking runs.

I think JC should probably go sooner rather than later.

This isn't based on 8 games this season but on the frankly shocking league and cup semi-final performances last year.  

I have no doubt that "things will pick up", they can't fail to given the shite in the league.  I however can't say that I'm looking forward to another season(s) of random selections, bizarre tactics, shocking substitutions, inane ramblings and manufactured excitement when we sneak into the top six.

I don't trust JC.  I don't believe he really knows what he is doing on too many occasions. If he stays (he of course will, he won't be sacked unless we are still bottom at xmas and he will never walk away) I expect us to finish top 6 but have a long frustrating season in front of smaller and smaller crowds with yet again little to show for our season other than "top6"

Exactly, TF as other have said, we are only a few games into the season and crap like "dead man walking" trots out.

Why is Levein or  Paataleinen not subjected to this level of negativity?  Both these mangers have had shocking runs.

The press and some hibs fans were after Mixu even before the season started

The classic example being that of John Collins who near as damn it didn't win a fucking game after he won the League Cup with Hibs but that kind of run didn't generate this kind of speculation in the press about his job. The players had to do that for them.  ;D

But if it affects YOUR team negatively, then it becomes YOUR problem as well?

I dont buy tabloids, I dont trust what they say but i keep an eye on what they are printing, better to be informed than ignorant?

How is it ignorant if they're "informing" us of lies?

I'll make my own mind up on MY club, thanks.

Because it's not as newsworthy as it is when it's Aberdeen.  You can continue to peddle this "weegie press" stuff all you like, the fact is we're a bigger club than those two and therefore more newsworthy. We're the only club outside the OF never to have been relegated.  And I hate to say it, but you can say we're unfairly subjected to this level of negativity, but the fact remains, we're bottom of the league. Not many teams get a positive press when they're down there.

Guest fatshaft

Because it's not as newsworthy as it is when it's Aberdeen.  You can continue to peddle this "weegie press" stuff all you like, the fact is we're a bigger club than those two and therefore more newsworthy.

Beat me to it BB. The weegie press like to sneer at Aberdeen, I've no doubt about that, and rake through the muck when things are going badly, but it's a back handed compliment in many ways. The reason they do so is that they understand subconsciously that Aberdeen are and always have been the #3 team, so it is always a bigger story when it happens to us.

Guest fatshaft

You have to allow for the fact that the amount of fans who frequent forums is actually a small percentage too.

Of course, but that doesn't mean that a small sample can't be representative.

Beat me to it BB. The weegie press like to sneer at Aberdeen, I've no doubt about that, and rake through the muck when things are going badly, but it's a back handed compliment in many ways. The reason they do so is that they understand subconsciously that Aberdeen are and always have been the #3 team, so it is always a bigger story when it happens to us.

A fair point.  I hadnt thought of that aspect.

All im saying is that I would rather know what rubbish was being spouted about my team from whichever paper, and because of that, like you say BB, some mugs who read this crap take it as gospel and demand change from that.  All Im doing is being  generally informed.  Im not saying the published articles are informin me of anything.   The recent articles we are discussing are appropriate examples.

A fair point.  I hadnt thought of that aspect.

All im saying is that I would rather know what rubbish was being spouted about my team from whichever paper, and because of that, like you say BB, some mugs who read this crap take it as gospel and demand change from that.  All Im doing is being  generally informed.  Im not saying the published articles are informin me of anything.  The recent articles we are discussing are appropriate examples.

Totally appreciate that, CS. Used to do it myself, just found it drove me up the wall!

The article from Michael Grant (the See You Jimmy one, where it said he was a dead man walking) I read in the paper at the time, and it was an opinion piece and I think should be taken as such.  However, I did have the misfortune of reading Keevins' "article" on JC and that was awful, and reminded me of why i stopped reading guff like that.