Times: Crunch time for Jimmy Calderwood as Aberdeen plumb the depths

I really don't get the Miller bashing?   ???

We were shit, he was asking questions of the club, they employed him, he came in, got rid of Paterson, took in JC and we've been arguably a lot better since.

Yet folk still piss, moan and ask what he's doing.  Perhaps he's not the missing part of the puzzle but he's definitely one of the key pieces if you ask me.

I really don't get the Miller bashing?

+1 from me on every syllable of the above.

:clap:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were shit, he was asking questions of the club, they employed him, he came in, got rid of Paterson, took in JC and we've been arguably a lot better since.

Yet folk still piss, moan and ask what he's doing.  Perhaps he's not the missing part of the puzzle but he's definitely one of the key pieces if you ask me.

Aye but he made a cunt of Harry Ramsdens. Did ye nae hear he was bad to rocket once?

It's not miller - it's the position - Dick Donald knew how to run his club, his son was a w*nk and started employing people to run it for him and Milne - well he cannae even run his own building company - so Miller is brought in.

It's a wage we can ill afford. (And for all the JMG brigade he gave us calderwood - but I think that was a good move!)

So do I. I stand by what I said after the Hibs game, I thought they played some really decent fitba, better than the majority of last season. We will play an awful lot worse and win, we already have in fact.

I'm sure we did play well but almost without exception our best, most entertaining games since JC has arrived have been against Hibs.  Although it sounds promising I suspect that we will revert to type against Falkirk and Hearts. 

It's not miller - it's the position - Dick Donald knew how to run his club, his son was a w*nk and started employing people to run it for him and Milne - well he cannae even run his own building company - so Miller is brought in.

It's a wage we can ill afford. (And for all the JMG brigade he gave us calderwood - but I think that was a good move!)

It could be argued that Chris Anderson and Dick Donald failed to sufficiently capatilise on our success in the 80s, thus laying the foundations for our inevitable downturn.  Letting Ian Donald take over merely exacerbated the problem

It could be argued that Chris Anderson and Dick Donald failed to sufficiently capatilise on our success in the 80s, thus laying the foundations for our inevitable downturn.  Letting Ian Donald take over merely exacerbated the problem

I'm sure Chris would have made sure we were in a far better position if he hadn't been struck down with motor neurone in 1984. He was one of the visionary driving forces at AFC, tragically lost way too early.

I'm sure we did play well but almost without exception our best, most entertaining games since JC has arrived have been against Hibs.  Although it sounds promising I suspect that we will revert to type against Falkirk and Hearts.  It could be argued that Chris Anderson and Dick Donald failed to sufficiently capatilise on our success in the 80s, thus laying the foundations for our inevitable downturn.  Letting Ian Donald take over merely exacerbated the problem

Not sure if its fair to blame Chris Anderson. He was the man responsible for us having the first all seater stadium so was probably ahead of his time. From what I have heard and read I do not think we would have been in the mess we are in now if he had lived longer.

Not sure if its fair to blame Chris Anderson. He was the man responsible for us having the first all seater stadium so was probably ahead of his time. From what I have heard and read I do not think we would have been in the mess we are in now if he had lived longer.

Yeah, and he also pushed heavily for shirt sponsors but Dick Donald was against it. Then, not even two years after Anderson passed away we had shirt sponsors... who'd have thought it?  ::)

Think it's fair to say that chris Anderson was the visionary, Dick Donald was the conservative, prudent, traditionalist. A good balance perhaps, but things could have been very different had we had shirt sponsorship earlier.

No use crying over spilt milk.

(Dry your eyes, petal)  ;)

Back to the present day and the Miller bashing:  I keep hearing about his wage being a waste, blah, blah, blah.....

I'm not too sure of this but have we not recorded slightly better financial figures each year he's been here too?

Last season we definitely recorded a profit didn't we?

Therefore I still don't get the Miller bashing!

I'm sure we did play well but almost without exception our best, most entertaining games since JC has arrived have been against Hibs.  Although it sounds promising I suspect that we will revert to type against Falkirk and Hearts.  It could be argued that Chris Anderson and Dick Donald failed to sufficiently capatilise on our success in the 80s, thus laying the foundations for our inevitable downturn.  Letting Ian Donald take over merely exacerbated the problem

Anyone thinking Chris Anderson is to blame knows fu(k all.

As for "sufficiently capatilise on our success" - you are probably too young to realise that there hasn't always been money in football.

It was after our european successes that money started to come into the game in a big way, and we got our first shirt sponsor (JVC - which was actually a pretty good sponsor IMO) - we didn't quite achieve the same success in europe again, as the big european clubs were getting richer, we got left behind.

Therefore I still don't get the Miller bashing!

So you are saying we returned a profit because of Miller?

No, we returned a profit because our fuckwit board, Miller and Milne sold players and didn't replace them.

You can't keep generating profit if we have only sh*te available to sell.

I suppose you'd applaud Miller and Milne for returning a profit the year we sell Pittodrie and become homeless?

As for "sufficiently capatilise on our success" - you are probably too young to realise that there hasn't always been money in football.

I didn't say I believed that to be the case, merely that it is an argument I have seen before.  Certainly from what I've read Chris Anderson was the real driving force behind the dons and perhaps with his illness and premature death we lost some of that.

As for making a profit last year.

I believe we did make a profit but that was before loan repayments etc so we still made a loss.

It was after our european successes that money started to come into the game in a big way, and we got our first shirt sponsor (JVC - which was actually a pretty good sponsor IMO) - we didn't quite achieve the same success in europe again, as the big european clubs were getting richer, we got left behind.

So you are saying we returned a profit because of Miller?

No, we returned a profit because our fuckwit board, Miller and Milne sold players and didn't replace them.

You can't keep generating profit if we have only sh*te available to sell.

I suppose you'd applaud Miller and Milne for returning a profit the year we sell Pittodrie and become homeless?

Why do you think folk were willing to buy our players then even though they'd been at the club for years and nobody had came in with offers that we'd accepted before?

Before then we were quick enough to call Clark, Anderson and Hart shite during lengthy points in their AFC careers.  Who's to say we won't do the same with the current batch?  Mulgrew looking the most likely at the moment.

Since Miller's been on board we've been better off and on the park in terms of results.  I'd say that's money well spent.

I didn't say I believed that to be the case, merely that it is an argument I have seen before.  Certainly from what I've read Chris Anderson was the real driving force behind the dons and perhaps with his illness and premature death we lost some of that.

As for making a profit last year.

I believe we did make a profit but that was before loan repayments etc so we still made a loss.

The club as it runs, made a profit.

If only we had a very rich chairman . . . .