x

Jagerdeen

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/921622

Lawrie’s golf plan gets the go-ahead

Development could create hundreds of jobs

By David Ewen chief reporter

Published: 05/11/2008

GOLFING hero Paul Lawrie has been given the go-ahead for a multi-million course on the outskirts of Aberdeen, the Evening Express can reveal today.

Lawrie’s £115 million development for Banchory-Devenick includes 280 houses and could create hundreds of jobs.

The decision by the Scottish Government follows its approval of American tycoon Donald Trump’s £1 billion Balmedie golf resort.

Today former Open champion Paul Lawrie said he was “delighted†to be making his first step into design in his home city.

Lawrie said: “This decision, coupled with the recent announcement on the Donald Trump application, will ensure that the North-east now truly has the potential to become one of the world’s top golfing destinations.

“To be part of a development which will provide my community with access to an international championship golf course, and one which they can be proud off, is a day I cannot wait to see.â€

The Blairs plan was backed by Aberdeenshire Council but needed the okay from the Scottish Government because it was in green belt.

Ministers decided to accept the council’s ruling without calling in the plan for determination.

Over the next 12 months the Muir Group will work with Aberdeenshire Council and the community to create a detailed planning application. During this time it will also look for a hotel operator.

Chairman John Muir said: “This decision now formally opens the door for a massive £115 million investment in Aberdeenshire, which in time will deliver nearly 1,000 jobs for the area.

“I am thoroughly excited by the vision that can now be implemented in terms of enabling leisure and business tourism through a world-class hotel resort and a signature championship golf course by local golfing hero Paul Lawrie.â€

The housing will pay for the restoration of Blairs College, a former Roman Catholic seminary, south of the River Dee.

On November 17 Mary Queen of Scots’ Death Warrant will be unveiled at Blairs by First Minister Alex Salmond MSP and the Lord Provost of Aberdeenshire Council William Howatson.

Leader of the Catholic Church in Scotland Cardinal Keith Patrick O’Brien said: “It is extremely sad to see the magnificent buildings in a state of progressive decay. I and my brother bishops in Scotland are more than delighted at the prospect of restoration.â€

Those behind the 10-year project talk of it rivalling Donald Trump’s proposed Balmedie resort, which includes 500 houses, 950 holiday homes and a course billed as “the world’s greatestâ€.

The Paul Lawrie course could be ready in three years and will be open to the public. Paul reckons it will also have the potential to attract golf’s biggest competition – the biennial Europe v United States Ryder Cup.

The Muir Group said it was in a strong financial position, despite the global credit crunch. A spokesman said: “The North-east continues to pose a lucrative market for the company.â€

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bulldozing of planning legislation at the behest of a multimillionaire and the precedent that sets (have money, get your way - see labour, New.)

Sake min, remind me who you voted in to the Scottish Parliament and who effectively took the decision. A clue, not Labour. You should also change "at the behest of a millionaire" into "in line with public opinion".

The resultant damage to an area of a rare habitat and an area of significant scientific interest.

It will now become an area significant interest to far more people. Isn't that democracy?

A large unnecessary housing estate built to fund the resort.

You are aware that Aberdeen needs to find ways to buck the recession and needs to be creative when considering its future, sans Black Gold. Why exactly is it unnecessary? It can only be unnecessary if people decide not to live there and it remains empty.

A exclusive golf resort for rich americans and oil execs that will employ the minimum staff at the minimum wage and be inaccessible to most in the north east

I'm not rich, American or an oil exec but I'll pay the green fee to play a top course. Just like I would if I went to play in Spain or the States.

It's known that for every pound spent on a green fee that another 5 is spent in the local economy and rejecting that would have been political suicide and not in the interest of the majority of the Aberdeen public.

I see anti competition laws were waived to allow Lloyds to take over HBOS, that's the reality of such laws when measured against public interest. 

The bulldozing of planning legislation at the behest of a multimillionaire and the precedent that sets (have money, get your way - see labour, New.)

The resultant damage to an area of a rare habitat and an area of significant scientific interest.

A large unnecessary housing estate built to fund the resort.

A exclusive golf resort for rich americans and oil execs that will employ the minimum staff at the minimum wage and be inaccessible to most in the north east

Please tell me this isn't a spot of West Coast jealousy?

Please tell me this isn't a spot of West Coast jealousy?

tbh I am in favour of the development.  The North East needs to make the most of its resources, and tourism will, or atleast should become alot more important as the oil runs out.  As a side note the North East should have been the site for the centre looking into the development of wind and wave power, but I'm sure that was sited elsewhere despite the wealth of engineering expertise in the North East.

I was trying to stimulate a modicum of debate as seemingly everyone on here is 100% behind it.  I do feel that the fact Trump and his millions were involved blinded some politicians from making serious decisions.  The housing development, for example, would surely have been questioned a bit more if Trump hadn't eschewed compromise and debate for threats of withdrawal if he didn't get his way and equally other developers would have been encouraged to move a couple of holes a wee bit away from the dunes, without significantly affecting the project.  Trump showed no interest in such standard practice and resorted to bully boy threats of "my way or I'm out of here"

And bilbo, who I voted for in the election has nothing to do with it. I was pointing out that the government were, as all governments inevitably do,  pandering to a rich famous man, in much the same way as NuLabour did despite the criticism of the tories before them for the exact same. 

pandering to a rich famous man

Again, depends upon whether it's pandering to a wealthy man or making a sensible decision both financially and politically.

Also, you can debate whether it is right to get involved with wealthy businessmen if you like but ultimately any good government has no choice but to have a good relationship with these characters.

And bilbo, who I voted for in the election has nothing to do with it. I was pointing out that the government were, as all governments inevitably do,  pandering to a rich famous man, in much the same way as NuLabour did despite the criticism of the tories before them for the exact same. 

I appreciate you were playing DA but the Nats have, and will bend as low as any of the rest of them.

• 1 month later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7785724.stm

Outline planning permission has been issued for Donald Trump's £1bn golf project in Aberdeenshire by the Scottish Government.

Notice of the intention to grant the consent had previously been given.

Mr Trump has vowed the golf resort, at Menie, north of Aberdeen, will be the greatest in the world.

His plan to build two golf courses, as well as hundreds of homes, has caused business and environmental division for more than two years.

The plan was called in by the Scottish Government after it was rejected by an Aberdeenshire Council committee.

Finance Secretary John Swinney backed it after a public local inquiry.

We’re all on course for Trump golf jobs

Tycoon agrees deal for North-east workers

By David Ewenchief reporter  :-\

Published: 17/12/2008

NORTH-EAST people will get the first crack when it comes to jobs with Donald Trump’s golf project, it was revealed today.

A planning agreement for Mr Trump’s £1 billion golf resort at Balmedie will ensure builders and leisure workers are invited to apply for posts.

It states that during construction “full and fair employment opportunities†should given to people living within 50 miles before advertising elsewhere.

The same agreement also covers the supply of goods and services at the site.

It said: “Before advertisements are placed elsewhere, the developer shall notify all job vacancies to the Job Centres … to determine if suitable local labour is available prior to the employment being offered elsewhere.â€

The legal agreement between the Trump Organisation and Aberdeenshire Council also guarantees a new primary school for the area, 98 affordable homes, and £500,000 for community facilities.

Mr Trump will also set up a group to advise on looking after the environment.

Trump development director George Sorial said: “This is a significant achievement for the Trump Organisation and for Scotland.

“We are impressed by how efficiently the Scottish Government and Aberdeenshire Council have processed our application and extend our sincere gratitude to all who supported us and worked so hard to get this done.

“We look forward to a continued positive working relationship with Aberdeenshire Council and the community and will now devote our full attention to detailed planning matters.â€

The plan for 500 houses, 950 holiday homes, a hotel and “the world’s greatest†golf course was given the go ahead on November 3 subject to the agreement being signed.

Finance Minister John Swinney backed the scheme after a public inquiry report said that the economic benefits – including a potential 1,400 jobs – justified building in the countryside.

The course could be ready within 18 months, with the housing and visitor accommodation to follow.

The Trump Organisation must go back to Aberdeenshire Council with detailed designs but no major problems are anticipated now that the principle of development has been approved.

:clap:

Guest fatshaft

I think not, yank bouffant cunt.

One mile from Inverness Airport, Castle Stuart, opening July 2009, will piss on anything your yes-men architects will create. He is an American too. A good one.

You can see into the future now?  :o Your powers never cease to amaze.

Now that you're jizzing in your pants about Milne becasue he didn't blank you, is Trump your new hate figure?

• 3 months later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7975375.stm

Trump letter attacks councillor 

US tycoon Donald Trump has called a councillor who opposed to his golf development in Aberdeenshire a "national embarrassment".

In a letter to Councillor Debra Storr, Mr Trump accused her of making "false and ridiculous" allegations about access gates at the Menie Estate.

He said she had conducted a "bitter and negative campaign" against the project.

Ms Storr said it was a pity the Trump Organisation had resorted to personal abuse rather than addressing the issue.

The proposal for two championship golf courses, 950 holiday homes and 500 houses were rejected by an Aberdeenshire Council committee before being called in by the Scottish Government.

Mr Trumps plans were finally approved last November.

Ms Storr was one of the councillors who opposed the US tycoon's plans.

She resigned from the Lib Dem group on the council after claiming there was a "witch-hunt" against her.

The councillor has recently made complaints about gates giving access to the sand dunes on the Menie estate being locked by guards.

She also claimed that she had been intimidated by Mr Trump's security personnel.

In the letter, the tycoon said Ms Storr should be ashamed of her "disgraceful publicity stunts".

Ms Storr said: "The fact that Mr Trump has resorted to personal abuse seems little more than an attempt to deflect attention away from the real issue of legal public rights of access at Menie Estate.

"Everything I have done has been perfectly lawful. Indeed, I have myself submitted a formal complaint to Grampian Police regarding the unacceptable behaviour of Mr Trump's staff towards me at the weekend which was at the very least a very frightening experience."

Not as frightening at this picture:

_45219642_debrastorr226.jpg