Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

I disagree

Motherwell are the team we need to concentrate on nicking  a top 6 place from and if they had won today they would have a 9 point lead on us meaning we would have to take 10 points form our last 5 games (arabs, Huns, St mirren, Hibs, Motherwell) and hope they lost their last 4 (Killie, Arabs, Us, Hearts).

Id say Caley have done us a favour

We win at tannadice on monday and we are suddenly only 3 points behind motherwell and 2 points behind Caley

Absolutely agree. Well are the team we need to concentrate on as Utd and Killie are as good as there already and getting enough points to catch Well should automatically mean we pass St J anyway.

A sore een for Man Utd fans this afternoon, although quite how Liverpool finished the game with 11 players is a mystery.  Carragher's challenge on Nani was a shocker.  :o

Fucking horrible player. Always has been. How him and Gerrard even attempted to defend that is beyond me.  You know it's a horrendous tackle when even Souness says it's appalling. 

I know, I was surprised at that.  Wonder if Nani getting up had any impact on the card that was shown!

It shouldn't. He was so high it was nearly unbelievable. He tried to do him.  Nani is as soft as shite and his whining is grating, but he looked genuinely distressed today.  I've had my leg punctured by studs before and it looks horrendous, my guess is that this happened to him. 

Carragher will be gutted, he clearly wanted to break his leg.

The Scottish Football Association has yet to receive the referee's report from that match and will only then decide its next course of action.

Am I missing something here?  Why does it take over 4 days for a governing body to receive a ref's report?

Guest ally s

I only saw the highlights but how on earth Carragher escaped a red card is beyond me.

It was a very good performance from Liverpool, Suarez looked quite impressive.

The real test for LFC though is games against teams lower down the league, particularly away from home. 

Awful challenge, as others have said, it's a joke that he remained on the pitch. That said, Liverpool completely deserved their victory and bossed united from start to finish. United looked completely flat from the go, what was the reason for not playing Fletcher from the start? I thought they looked more composed after he came on, seemed to have a bit more of a threat about them. I hope Nani is ok.

I only saw the highlights but how on earth Carragher escaped a red card is beyond me.

It was a very good performance from Liverpool, Suarez looked quite impressive.

The real test for LFC though is games against teams lower down the league, particularly away from home.

Thought Suarez was superb, ally. Really impressed with his link up play and he has a lot of skill, certainly more than just a poacher as some of the media had claimed.

Awful challenge, as others have said, it's a joke that he remained on the pitch. That said, Liverpool completely deserved their victory and bossed united from start to finish. United looked completely flat from the go, what was the reason for not playing Fletcher from the start? I thought they looked more composed after he came on, seemed to have a bit more of a threat about them. I hope Nani is ok.

Surprised it was Carrick in midfield and not Fletcher.  Carrick is nowhere near the standard required, where he once used to dictate play he is now reduced to looking for the square pass which too often finds the opposition.

The thing I found worrying for United was who it was left to carry the can when the tackles started flying in... Rafael and Scholes. Where was Brown, Rooney, Carrick?  Liverpool essentially bullied them, and fair play for it, but that would never have happened in a team with Bryan Robson or Roy Keane.  Vidic was a huge miss in that respect as well as every other respect, but more players have to stand up and be counted.

Thought Suarez was superb, ally. Really impressed with his link up play and he has a lot of skill, certainly more than just a poacher as some of the media had claimed.

Surprised it was Carrick in midfield and not Fletcher.  Carrick is nowhere near the standard required, where he once used to dictate play he is now reduced to looking for the square pass which too often finds the opposition.

The thing I found worrying for United was who it was left to carry the can when the tackles started flying in... Rafael and Scholes. Where was Brown, Rooney, Carrick?  Liverpool essentially bullied them, and fair play for it, but that would never have happened in a team with Bryan Robson or Roy Keane.  Vidic was a huge miss in that respect as well as every other respect, but more players have to stand up and be counted.

I said to my liverpool supporting mate, that Vida being out was a huge miss, but hadn't anticipated Fletcher not playing. Shame really, because the early signs seemed promising enough. Berba was very unlucky not to score with his speculative effort. Suarez was always a player I'd hoped would sign for United as I think he is the kind of player they need now (I think Little Pea will develope into this player, but not at the moment). His touch has always been world class and I was truly gutted to see him sign for Liverpool.

I do agree that Carra should've went for that. Kow - is that Nani's leg?  :o Horrible. I'm just seeing that for the first time now although I still thought his reaction was bizarre. At first he seemed to get up and be OK and then he seemed to get really angry, fall to the deck and ended up roarin' greetin'. Fucking nasty one he took though. Hope he's OK.

Rafael had a tackle which was potentially as dangerous slightly later on, though. Had Lucas' foot been planted it would've looked every bit as bad I think.

Anyway. Those were the two low points in what was otherwise a really good game. Dirk did well to find himself in the right place at the right time three times but Suarez went through Utd like the proverbial hot knife through butter. To me it just goes to show that Man Utd seem to struggle (especially definsively) when they've got a couple of injuries or suspensions. Smalling, O'Shea, Gibson, Carrick and Obertan are all nowhere near good enough for Man Utd. I'm not convinced Wes Brown is either. I was once again really impressed with Hernandez. Always gets a goal and I thought he was unlucky not to start.

Indeed. Man United are in desperate need of reinvestment. How Carrick got a new deal is beyond because he is nothing short of woeful. With Van Der Sar retiring at the end of this season, Fergie can ill afford a repeat of chopping and changing mediocre goal-keepers like he did after Schmeichel left. Without either, Ferdinand or Vidic, the centre of defence is decidely shakey. Smalling has impressed me everytime I have seen him play but he seems to be more confident when either Vidic and Ferdinand is playing. The midfield is in desperate need of reinforcement, Scholes and Giggs is not going to go on for ever, Carrick is awful, Fletcher is good but is not going to be scoring reguarly and ain't going to link up forward play that often and whilst Nani is good, he can be too often very frustrating. A couple of world class midfielders is what they need.

And I would also start Hernandez with Berbatov. Great player that boy.

Indeed. Man United are in desperate need of reinvestment. How Carrick got a new deal is beyond because he is nothing short of woeful. With Van Der Sar retiring at the end of this season, Fergie can ill afford a repeat of chopping and changing mediocre goal-keepers like he did after Schmeichel left. Without either, Ferdinand or Vidic, the centre of defence is decidely shakey. Smalling has impressed me everytime I have seen him play but he seems to be more confident when either Vidic and Ferdinand is playing. The midfield is in desperate need of reinforcement, Scholes and Giggs is not going to go on for ever, Carrick is awful, Fletcher is good but is not going to be scoring reguarly and ain't going to link up forward play that often and whilst Nani is good, he can be too often very frustrating. A couple of world class midfielders is what they need.

And I would also start Hernandez with Berbatov. Great player that boy.

Agree with that. Although Nani has improved a huge ammount. He's bulked up a bit but is still brushed off the ball a bit too easily.