Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

tin hat on, England are actually playing really well against Spain. Just shows what a bit of pace and composure can do for you. Spain have not been able to play their game, parker has been fantastic.

Sadly I agree, especially 2nd half and Parker was superb.  Was a friendly however and Spain have a bit of a ropey record in friendlies over the last year or two do they not?

Sadly I agree, especially 2nd half and Parker was superb.  Was a friendly however and Spain have a bit of a ropey record in friendlies over the last year or two do they not?

Think they got pumped by Portugal And lost two other games, but id say they put more effort into this game than they did against us last month  :-\

Lescott and Jagielka were immense tonight.

It's worth remembering that Spain had 71% posession, and 21 attempts at goal compared to England's 3. The Engerlush are getting a bit carried away. Unofficial World Cup winners? With that logic Switzerland actually won the World Cup last year.

It never stopped Scotland claiming it in 1967....

Possession stats etc are all well and good, but the only real important thing is the number of goals you score and England got one more than Spain. Credit where it's due, they've beaten the best international side in the world. It doesn't mean much more than that because it's just a friendly, but it's still quite a scalp considering just how good Spain are.  Some Scots were creaming themselves at losing 3-2 to them...

I'll bite. I don't know about better full stop but I will say that throughout the World Cup last year Holland easily played the best football. All their matches were great to watch. Except the final when they resorted to kicking Spain rather than trying to play football. Spain had played boring football (although effect, just) all the way to the final. I feel if Holland hadn't listened to the hype surrounding Spain and just played their football the way they had for the whole tournament they would have won the final. Spain were far from the slick, clever passing team that they're seen as now. 

I'll bite. I don't know about better full stop but I will say that throughout the World Cup last year Holland easily played the best football. All their matches were great to watch. Except the final when they resorted to kicking Spain rather than trying to play football. Spain had played boring football (although effect, just) all the way to the final. I feel if Holland hadn't listened to the hype surrounding Spain and just played their football the way they had for the whole tournament they would have won the final. Spain were far from the slick, clever passing team that they're seen as now.

It's not just about playing the best football though, is it? It's about being hard to beat, winning matches and tournaments. Spain have won the last two big ones (as far as European teams go).  Holland are a very good team, but should have been thoroughly ashamed of themselves after that final.  Spain have the medals to prove what a good team they are, until Holland have that, they're going to be a notch below, in my opinion.

It's not just about playing the best football though, is it? It's about being hard to beat, winning matches and tournaments. Spain have won the last two big ones (as far as European teams go).  Holland are a very good team, but should have been thoroughly ashamed of themselves after that final.  Spain have the medals to prove what a good team they are, until Holland have that, they're going to be a notch below, in my opinion.

Can't really argue with that. I was very disappointed with how Holland played. Especially after how they'd played for the rest of the tournament. I think Holland could've outplayed Spain had they not been scared and resorted to kicking. I think there was an element of bottling it too if I'm honest. Something that Spain were susceptible to also and something, in all fairness, they handled well.

I was very disappointed that the Holland friendly that England had lined up back in August was cancelled.

Can't really argue with that. I was very disappointed with how Holland played. Especially after how they'd played for the rest of the tournament. I think Holland could've outplayed Spain had they not been scared and resorted to kicking. I think there was an element of bottling it too if I'm honest. Something that Spain were susceptible to also and something, in all fairness, they handled well.

I was very disappointed that the Holland friendly that England had lined up back in August was cancelled.

I don't for a second believe, incidentally, that you MUST win tournaments to be the best per se - the Dutch sides of 74 & 78 and Brazil 1982  didn't win anything but were superb sides and hard to say that there were better sides at those particular times - but I think your point about perhaps Holland bottling it to an extent last year is a good one. 

Perhaps if they have a really good Euros in the summer they could be regarded as the best - you never know what will happen to Spain.  It will be interesting to watch though, as I think Germany could mean there are at least 3 exceptional sides at the tournament.

I don't for a second believe, incidentally, that you MUST win tournaments to be the best per se - the Dutch sides of 74 & 78 and Brazil 1982  didn't win anything but were superb sides and hard to say that there were better sides at those particular times - but I think your point about perhaps Holland bottling it to an extent last year is a good one. 

Perhaps if they have a really good Euros in the summer they could be regarded as the best - you never know what will happen to Spain.  It will be interesting to watch though, as I think Germany could mean there are at least 3 exceptional sides at the tournament.

4. You forgot about England.  :wave:

From the Guardian:

The games we have found toughest to win have been against opponents who have set their stall out to work hard, run forever, close us down and really try and keep things tight in the middle of the pitch," said Spain's Iker Casillas after Saturday's defeat by England. You mean there are teams who don't? Teams who set their stall out to be idle, to give Spain space and to be particularly lax in midfield? Because if there are, it's no surprise the Spaniards didn't find it very tough to beat them – they're idiots. "Spain is a team packed with ability that doesn't give much time on the ball," he added. In other words, they set their stall out to work hard, run forever and really try and keep things tight in the middle of the pitch. They're their own worst enemies, sometimes