Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15229773.stm

Niger have qualified for their maiden Africa Cup of Nations finals despite losing 3-0 in Egypt on Saturday.

Group G rivals South Africa or Sierra Leone would have qualified had either won their 0-0 draw.

South Africa initially thought they were through, with the FA president going on television to congratulate the team, before finding out the bad news.

Libya went through as best runners up, but Nigeria exited, failing to qualify for the first time since 1986.

Niger, South Africa and Sierra Leone all ended with nine points in Group G, but Niger qualify thanks to their superior head-to-head record against their rivals.

Zambia and Libya have both qualified from Group C after a 0-0 draw in Chingola. Nigeria went out after being held to a 2-2 draw by Guinea in Abuja. Ibrahima Traore's goal deep into stoppage time ensured Guinea's progress from Group B.

Equatorial Guinea and Gabon will co-host the tournament, which starts on 21 January and ends on 12 February, with a number of Premier League players set to be away from their clubs during the competition.

The way I see it we got out of there with the 3 points we needed, no injuries, no suspensions and minimum energy used up. Bring on Espania.

This.

Would have snapped your hand of for a 1-0 before the game.  Last night was a big ol banana skin well avoided if you ask me.

I quite liked Levein before he took the Scotland job.  Certainly don't remember him being so negative in his demeanour or approach despite being in charge of United.

Especially liked the way him and Thompson went on a rant about the OF getting all the refereeing decisions after his team had basically been cheated out of a win.  I have fond memories of that and remember wishing we had someone at our club willing to make a stance like that rather than constantly rolling over and taking one in the arse.

Sadly he seems to have had that knocked out of him these days.

I agree. I liked him pre the national job but I think he knocked it out of himself rather than having it kicked out of him by Peat et al.

From the very first interview he was oh so serious, like now I've got the most senior job, I'm going to act accordingly.

He was always a slight oddball as a player. A man with undoubted integrity and commitment, but slightly odd.

Odd isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's like he's been brought up by ultra-presbyterianism and other assorted establishment bullshit.

I quite liked Levein before he took the Scotland job.  Certainly don't remember him being so negative in his demeanour or approach despite being in charge of United.

Especially liked the way him and Thompson went on a rant about the OF getting all the refereeing decisions after his team had basically been cheated out of a win.  I have fond memories of that and remember wishing we had someone at our club willing to make a stance like that rather than constantly rolling over and taking one in the arse.

Sadly he seems to have had that knocked out of him these days.

International football is a different game in many ways from club football.  Players have to be handled a bit differently for a start due to the fact they're not contracted.  I think there has been improvement in the national side under levein as he has found his feet and cant help but feel some of the criticism thrown at him is a bit harsh.  Qualify or not i hope he stays for another campaign

International football is a different game in many ways from club football.  Players have to be handled a bit differently for a start due to the fact they're not contracted.  I think there has been improvement in the national side under levein as he has found his feet and cant help but feel some of the criticism thrown at him is a bit harsh.  Qualify or not i hope he stays for another campaign

Agreed.

I'm certainly not having a go at him although I would prefer if we were a little more gung ho in games.

I just think he sounds like a beaten man before he's even started talking be that matches, team selections, tactics or the Scottish game in general.  Maybe he's realised he's on a hiding to nothing?

I seem to remember when he first accepted the job that he was beating his chest about grass-roots-football, grass-roots-football, grass-roots-football.  But then I've not heard him mention it once since.

Reminds me a bit of a politician who says he'll change the world before he's elected in and does nothing once he's in the hot seat.  Although I'm sure that's down to having his hands tied by the 'powers' that be.

Levein doesn't inspire me if I'm honest....infact generally speaking been a long long time since anything to do with the Scottish national team inspired me, but Harry has taken my apathy to a new low during this qualifying campaign.

Here we are just over twenty four hours from a game that could see us a mere 180 minutes away form our first major finals since 1998 and my excitement level doesn't even register a one on the scale.

Lets be honest, if we do make the play offs it is more down to the failings of the other teams in the group rather than our brilliance. Frankly I find it embarassing the negative style of football Potter has introduced us to, and I hardly think the rest of the teams in the play offs will fear a Scotland team that could get there with a mere eight goals scored in eight games and a massive ELEVEN POINTS out of a possible twenty four.

Got a tenner on 4-0 Spain tomorrow night.

Levein doesn't inspire me if I'm honest....

Levein might not inspire you if you're honest but what if you were dishonest, would he inspire you then?

I was at Brazil and Norway in 98 but the Rab Douglas slow motion first of six in the ArenA was my last Scotland game and there won't ever be another.

Your care factor is struggling to register as a one. I raise you - or de-raise you perhaps - to a sliver of a point 1 of your 1.

Levein doesn't inspire me if I'm honest....infact generally speaking been a long long time since anything to do with the Scottish national team inspired me, but Harry has taken my apathy to a new low during this qualifying campaign.

Here we are just over twenty four hours from a game that could see us a mere 180 minutes away form our first major finals since 1998 and my excitement level doesn't even register a one on the scale.

Lets be honest, if we do make the play offs it is more down to the failings of the other teams in the group rather than our brilliance. Frankly I find it embarassing the negative style of football Potter has introduced us to, and I hardly think the rest of the teams in the play offs will fear a Scotland team that could get there with a mere eight goals scored in eight games and a massive ELEVEN POINTS out of a possible twenty four.

Got a tenner on 4-0 Spain tomorrow night.

Agree with this 100%. I'm choosing not to watch the pumping tonight. If and when Scotland (Levein) do something to inspire me again I will perhaps become more interested again.

This is the lowest point in my whole football supporting life.

Levein might not inspire you if you're honest but what if you were dishonest, would he inspire you then?

I was at Brazil and Norway in 98 but the Rab Douglas slow motion first of six in the ArenA was my last Scotland game and there won't ever be another.

Your care factor is struggling to register as a one. I raise you - or de-raise you perhaps - to a sliver of a point 1 of your 1.

I wasn't at the game but obviously I watched it on TV after being at Hapden and having my hope levels taken up. It was an utterly devastating 90 minutes and no amount of being half Dutch made it any fucking better.

As it currently stands

Euro 2012 Qualified

Poland, Ukraine, Germany(A), Russia(B), Italy ©, France (D), Netherlands(E), Sweden (E) Greece (F), England(G), Denmark (H), Spain(I),

Playoffs

Turkey (A), Ireland (B), Estonia ©, Bosnia (D), Croatia (F), Montenegro(G), Portugal (H), Czech Republic (I)

• 2 weeks later...

Caley one up against the pars and St. Mirren have come from a goal down to lead Hibs 2-1

Pretty tight down in the bottom-six.  Bit depressing to still be on the same points as Hibs despite our two good wins, esp with the OF coming uo.

1 Rangers 11 19 29

2 Motherwell 11 1 22

3 Celtic 10 10 19

4 Hearts 11 7 18

5 St Johnstone 11 5 18

6 St Mirren 11 -1 13

7 Aberdeen 11 -1 12

8 Kilmarnock 11 -3 11

9 Dundee Utd 11 -7 10

10 Hibernian 11 -8 9

11 Dunfermline 10 -11 9

12 Inverness CT 11 -11 8

Pretty tight down in the bottom-six.  Bit depressing to still be on the same points as Hibs despite our two good wins, esp with the OF coming uo.

Here what you're saying, but in our favour, we'll have played thirteen games and four of them will have been against the Brothers Grim. No one else in the league will have played them that amount of times.

Man City running riot at Old Trafford since Evans sending off.  Currently 0-3 with 20 minutes to go.

finished 1-6. Great goal from Fletcher on 80mins and as Utd pushed on in last 10, City broke very effectively and put another 3 past De Gea.  Ferdinand did not cover himself in glory in those last 10, similar to Evra for the entire 90.

AC Milan came from 3-0 down at HT to win 3-4, Prince Boateng got a hat trick

Was going to golf, started pishing rain, so took the easy option and stayed in clubhouse, had a few pints and watched the Manchester derby.

Regardless of how well I might have played nothing could possibly have surpassed watching Man Ure get six stuck past them at home, derby game or no derby game.

As TF said, centre backs were shite, Ferdinand looking like a pale shadow of the player he once was.