Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

Decent game in the end at Anfield. It's brilliant fun seeing scouters squirm at rapid decline of their team.  Can't say they didn't deserve not to draw that game today, but still, very entertaining  ;D

When Wenger says a draw is a fair result you can bet your bottom dollar that Arsenal deserved to lose!  :rofl: And they did. Liverpool easily the better team but again their own worst enemy defensively.

As a man who likes to see Liverpool do well I can honestly say that I'm not, as you put it, squirming at the rapid decline of the team. Yes it's been very different to last season but the last 2 games against Man Utd and Arsenal Liverpool created a lot and played pretty well and it's encouraging to see. They played really well against Bournemouth too by all accounts (who, let's face it, are no mugs.) I really think Liverpool are just a fit (decent) striker away from being a force again and that's without sorting out the defence. Any team that loses Suarez and Sturridge is going to struggle and I feel for Brendan Rodgers a bit. He's still trying to play his own style of attractive football (which has been a breath of fresh air from how they played under Rafa and Dalgleish)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30633737

I am enjoying football at the moment  :thumbsup:

Barcelona will not be allowed to sign any players in 2015 after their appeal against a transfer ban was dismissed by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The Spanish club was handed a 14-month ban in April after being found guilty of breaching Fifa's rules on the transfer of players aged under 18.

Fifa rejected an appeal in August but the pending appeal to Cas allowed Barca to sign players including Luis Suarez.

Barcelona has expressed its "utter nonconformity with the resolution".

The players concerned in the infringement of Fifa rules were registered and participated in competitions with Barcelona between 2009 and 2013.

Cas said: "The panel found in particular that FC Barcelona had breached the rules regarding the protection of minors and the registration of minors attending football academies.

"Accordingly, the Fifa decision is confirmed in full and the sanction remains in force.

"In view of the need to issue a decision before the opening of the next transfer window, the panel has issued its decision without the grounds. The full arbitral award, with the reasons for the panel's decision, will be issued as soon as possible."

A Barcelona statement added: "The errors that the club might have committed, and which have been recognised and argued before the corresponding authorities, are, in all cases, of an administrative nature and to a large extent have been caused by the existing conflict between the Fifa regulations and Spanish legislation, along with the club's conviction that it was acting correctly.

"Therefore, FC Barcelona considers the sanction to be completely disproportionate as it supposes an excessive punishment for the club, when considering its trajectory and the circumstances of this specific case."

Barca went on a summer spending spree this year while the suspension went on hold during the appeals process, splashing out more than 150m euros (£117.5m) on Suarez, Ivan Rakitic, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Thomas Vermaelen, Claudio Bravo, Jeremy Mathieu and Alen Halilovic.

Shame for Gerrard, fantastic player in his prime but it's become very clear that he can no longer cut it.

Other news:  ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30662865

The news prompted Scottish club Hibernian to issue a clarification.

They posted on their Twitter account:  "Just to clarify, we are Hibs of Scotland and not Hibernians of Malta. Should that ever change we'll let you all know."

Went to millwall - bradford in the fa cup today. Millwall are a complete shambles of a club for away fans. Was PATG but yeah they didn't accept cash at the turnstiles so had to buy a ticket before being let through the turnstiles. Ended up having to go to the home end to buy an away stand ticket. Just made it in in time for the first bradford goal. Bradford played some great football and rory was still pretty commanding. Millwall fan base is also pathetic. Full of 10 year olds that try and give it all that when the equalise against a team in a league lower than them. In summary, millwall are cunts and bradford are good value. I hope they make the play offs this season.

Shame for Gerrard, fantastic player in his prime but it's become very clear that he can no longer cut it.

Other news:  ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30662865

No idea what you're basing that on. He's still surprising me almost weekly with how good he still is. Finishing, passing, energy, vision, command, all still there. Covered every blade of grass in the cup tie last night. Maybe he can't do that every week anymore but if he does that 75% of the time he's still a huge player for Liverpool. He was the difference last night.

I can understand why he'd leave if he's getting a 4 year deal over in LA as opposed to a 1 year deal at Liverpool. And there's absolutely no chance of him signing for Man City (or anyone else in England)

No idea what you're basing that on. He's still surprising me almost weekly with how good he still is. Finishing, passing, energy, vision, command, all still there. Covered every blade of grass in the cup tie last night. Maybe he can't do that every week anymore but if he does that 75% of the time he's still a huge player for Liverpool. He was the difference last night.

I can understand why he'd leave if he's getting a 4 year deal over in LA as opposed to a 1 year deal at Liverpool. And there's absolutely no chance of him signing for Man City (or anyone else in England)

Well, thats precisely what I was referring to, and I think keeping him in that side will be unfair to him and those around him.  Liverpool look like they need a clean slate.  No-one can doubt he isn't a fantastic player, as evidenced last night and i'm glad he turned down the corrupt money in Qatar for a league has a bit of excitement about it.  But I always wonder if he'll look back at his career and think, what if?

• 2 weeks later...

Tremendous game last night between Liverpool and Chelsea. Played at 100 mph the whole night.

Typical Mourinho effective but dull performance from Chelsea who will be favourites now. Although I think they think they're home and hosed already.

Speaking of gits, I see Adrian Chiles has been sacked by ITV  :rofl:

Was just about to post that.  Not sure if he's completely sacked, but replaced by Mark Pougatch as lead presenter.  I see from the Guardian article that Townshend is out at the end of the season too.

ITV finally seeing sense.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jan/23/adrian-chiles-replaced-by-mark-pougatch-itv-bbc

Fuck I hope neither Chiles or Townshend end up at BT with their champions league coverage!!  :hammer:

Question is could it be classed as a death threat?

I'm personally not OK with a banner that depicts the decapitation of an opposition player even if it is by an over-milked 80s slasher franchise villain but that's just me.

Strange how apparently there are no rules (in Belgium anyway) about a banner depicting the murder of a player but a banner that mocks a players race, colour or creed or dares to suggest FIFA & Co are criminals.....