Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

3rd placed teams

updated Ranking (with games against bottom team removed)

1) Hungary  -P5  GF5    GA3  Pts10

2) Switzerland - P5  GF9    GA4  Pts9

3) Scotland - P5  GF6    GA5  Pts8

4) Netherlands - P5  GF10  GA5  Pts7

5) Russia        - P5  GF7    GA3  Pts7

6) Albania        -P4  GF4    GA5  Pts7

7) Norway        -P5  GF4    GA8  Pts7

8 ) Ukraine        - P5  GF3    GA4  Pts6

9) Israel          - P5  GF7    GA11  Pts6

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch the copa america final?  Sanchez panenka's the winning penalty in the shootout, cool.

Watched it last night (didn't realise i had Premier Sports until last night - could have watched the Dons game on Thurs on my couch rather than going out for it!!)... enjoyed the game, lots of tackles, played at a good pace and looked a great atmosphere, some very good technical players on show, but... Higuain's penalty... oh my word.

One of the newspapers in Argentina gave Messi 3.5 out of 10 for his performance last night.  They were being generous. Undoubtedly an incredible talent but to me it looks more and more that he needs his supporting cast from Barca to perform. No Iniesta or Xavi and he seems to fade. No shame in that of course  (who wouldn't miss playing with those guys?) but it's disappointing that he can't pull his international team mates along in the same sort of manner Maradona did, and Messi, arguably, has a better standard of team mate than Maradona did.

Johnathan Wilson was bigging him up before the game so i was looking to see what he meant

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/04/chile-argentina-lionel-messi-copa-america

I hope it does work out for him internationally as it could be glorious to behold.  2018 has to be in his mind as his last real chance to perform at his best at a WC, 2022 is just too long away and he will surely have waned by that point.  The front line the Argies have is stunning yet it just never seems to quite work, they should have been beating Chile by a couple at least

Johnathan Wilson was bigging him up before the game so i was looking to see what he meant

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/04/chile-argentina-lionel-messi-copa-america

I hope it does work out for him internationally as it could be glorious to behold.  2018 has to be in his mind as his last real chance to perform at his best at a WC, 2022 is just too long away and he will surely have waned by that point.  The front line the Argies have is stunning yet it just never seems to quite work, they should have been beating Chile by a couple at least

'What happens is that they all go to mark him, two or three defenders, he draws people to him and that leaves others free"

Lizarazu said Zidane was the only player he ever played with or against that would have three players around him and yet his team mates would still pass the ball to him. You couldn't give Zidane a bad pass - he would control anything, at any height and produce something out of it.

Maradona was similar. Michael Laudrup was similar too. When you have Messi's ability it should be about leading the team - you have to show you are the best despite  the obvious attentions of your opponents, Messi at international level just doesn't do that.  Dress it up as 'he's doing it for the team' etc, but it comes down to it, he isn't using his talents properly for his national side and that is nothing but a disappointment in my book.  Maybe he will have a good tournament in 3 years time, but one good tournament out of how many..? For all his amazing club displays one glorious tournament would still be too little, relatively speaking.

CAS just overturned UEFA's decision and awarded Albania a 3-0 win over Serbia (match abandoned due to crowd trouble).  Albania now up to 2nd in their group with a game in hand. Serbia rock bottom with only 1 point

3rd place qualifying table now looks like this

1) Denmark - P5  GF8    GA 4  Pts 10

2) Hungary  -P5  GF5    GA3  Pts10

3) Switzerland - P5  GF9    GA4  Pts9

4) Scotland - P5  GF6    GA5  Pts8

5) Netherlands - P5  GF10  GA5  Pts7

6) Russia        - P5  GF7    GA3  Pts7

7) Norway        -P5  GF4    GA8  Pts7

8 ) Ukraine        - P5  GF3    GA4  Pts6

9) Israel          - P5  GF7    GA11  Pts6

• 3 weeks later...

Ooft, Killie 0 - Dundee 4. Greg Stewart with a a couple of decent goals apparently.  Killie signed rejects from Sevco, can't see them doing much this season. Dundee have made some shrewd moves over the course of the summer so should make top 6 no bother.

Seems like my question marks over Caley are correct, certainly for today at least. Not a shot on target today against Motherwell.

Thistle have played well against the dhims so far. Missed the goal, but thought they should have had a penalty.  Obviously it wasn't given, but Lustigs arms were so high I think it should have been a penalty. Then Osman get's booked for no reason. Referee making sure the dhims win...

Thistle have played well against the dhims so far. Missed the goal, but thought they should have had a penalty.  Obviously it wasn't given, but Lustigs arms were so high I think it should have been a penalty. Then Osman get's booked for no reason. Referee making sure the dhims win...

That's 3 dodgy as fuck game changing decisions they've had so far this season and it's only 2 games old ffs sake.

In other news what a hit from Coutinho yesterday. That boy is some player.