Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

This first half hour is marked by how technically incompetent Scotland are. The poles aren't the best team on planet earth - although Lewandoski is world class obviously - but the difference between the two teams is huge and it's all in the basics. The number of times we can't pass to feet or trap or control an easily trappable or controllable ball is frightening. Big job for Strachan at HT, assuming we can get there only 1-0 down but you can't polish shite.

Couldn't agree more and it's a shame, at the start of the campaign we actually looked like we had the potential to grow into a very decent footballing side. Some of the passing and movement was fantastic at times.

However the same old embarrassing issues have reared their head again, not to mention the terrible team selections over the last couple of games.

Whittaker should be nowhere near this team when we have a quality young left back on the bench and another in the stands.

Marshall has been making one error after another for Scotland lately and should be dropped.

Sticking with S. Fletcher when he's never actually performed for Scotland is a joke as is carrying on playing the woefully out of form brown.

Hutton surely only gets in the team as he's the only right back in the country too.

Says it all about the gulf in class that we are being played off the park by a very ordinary Poland team (Lewandoski aside as rocket rightly pointed out).

Darren Fletcher too. Fuck that slowcoach has been.

Darren Fletcher is one I feel sorry for, worked so hard to battle back from illness and he's just not got it for Scotland any more. Should have just called it a day and concentrated on club football.

Some strike from Ritchie though and we are back in it. Probably his only useful contribution of the game

Sticking with S. Fletcher when he's never actually performed for Scotland is a joke as is carrying on playing the woefully out of form brown.

:rofl:

Oops!

What a strike though, looks like the Steven Fletcher of the premiership finally showed up rather than the shite that usually turns up for Scotland duty.

You have to admire the innovative, unique and original manners in which Scottish football delivers "glorious" failures. Not that failure is ever glorious. A national definition of winning might be required. This has been going on for decades.

One thing Scotland have become truly world class at is snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, they've got it down to a fine art.

6 points between us and Ireland & Poland.

Any Scot tonight gibbering on about luck should look at that line above. 6 points. With one game left. We weren't even close.

Strachan bangs on about being loyal to players... that is the attitude that will ultimately get managers the sack. His flippancy in the aftermath of Georgia away was insulting in the extreme.

When it comes down to it, I don't give much of a fuck about the national team, but i still want them to do well.  His flippancy is an insult to the thousands of folk who spend all their savings on following that team of jokers. His team of jokers, incidentally.

If he stays, he has a clear choice. Pick Scottish based players - hopefully young ones at that - and lets see where that takes us. 

Or, he may pick the same old tired choices and ultimately he will get the sack because of it.  Not sure why anyone would shed a tear over that scenario...

I failed to give a fuck about Scoatland after the ArenA 6-0, although my distaste towards my own nation was cemented at Dam square in the hours before, the racist weegies in the taxi en route to the game being the dramatic denouement.

But let's get some perspective here. The real jokers are the ones who spend their savings following this continuous supply of guaranteed disappointment. There's something Edgar Allan Poe in this. Kafka did it better but we Scots live and breathe it. Pathos masters. The dragonhide Alasdair Gray expressed in Lanark.

You can blame Strachan all you like. All the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference. It's certainly NOT great being Scottish. Irvine Welsh is a very intelligent, perceptive and brilliant man. It takes rock bottom to see the top. At least in this country. Having been shat on by effete arseholes for 300 years.

Our "bad luck" is of our own making, specifically our failure to organise ourselves with integrity and intelligence.

I failed to give a fuck about Scotland when I realized selection policy is based on who you know/where you play and not on form/ability or being able to play football

The "form" team in Scotland, up to 2 weeks ago if you want to be picky, hasn't had a player capped since????????

Put em in the squad and fuck 'em.

Piss up a rope you fuckstick Strachan, McGhee, SFA, all previos managers.......

2 points secured away from home thus far.

Embarrassed by Georgia.

Our closest rivals take points from the world champions, we look like school boys happy to take part.

As soon as McGhee and McCall became involved, you knew how this would end.  Absolutely reinforcing Strachan's jobs for the boys approach which served him so well at Boro too.

We've brought in no young talent this campaign so no excuses about a team in transition.  Our fresh blood has been mid-career journeymen from the English second tier with little to no experience of winning.

The SPL will be well represented in the Northern Irish team, front to back they'll have guys playing top flight Scottish football with McGovern, Mannus, Clingan, Paton, McGinn, Magennis, Boyce and McKay all likely to be challenging for a place in France.  Still at least Martin, Hanley, Ritchie and Bannan can tell their grandkids about the time they played the World Champions and "nearly" got a draw.

Oh, and Hutton now has more caps than Gemmill, Narey, Buchan, even Lambert.  In fact, Hutton has more caps than Jess, Anderson, Shearer, Weir and Simpson combined.  Whittaker, Berra and Morrison now all in excess of 30 caps as well.

It's funny that folk are commenting about the play-off in 2003 being the last time they gave a fuck about Scotland because this morning during the commute to work I was dissecting this whole mess in my head and I found myself thinking that I hadn't been passionate about the national team since that heart-breaking play-off in 2003. Sure I've supported them. Even last night I promised myself I wouldn't get wound up and that I didn't really care but more fool me I found myself agonising when Ireland scored and when we spunked a stoppage time equaliser.

Naismith and Ritchie were our best players on the night. Fletcher, S came into the game more as it went on and got a decent goal. But not enough of our players play for the shirt. It's fucking sad when one of the few players that seems to give a shit and sing the anthem was English.

Why can't I support my national team with the same pride and passion as when I was a youngster?

• The gleeful Tims on Twitter openly supporting Poland last night
  • Celtic's official Twitter account wishing luck to Ireland, the team we're competing directly with for a place at the Euros
  • A manager who picks players based on... based on fuck knows what!!
  • Players playing game after game who show no form, passion or even effort
  • Many of the Scottish general public will support England or Ireland based on what fucking spastic religion they are. And most of our players seem to be in that same boat
  • Players automatically in the team despite never playing for their club

Pick players who are proud to play for their country and will give 110% because even youngsters giving it full effort will do better than those journeyman pricks that stopped caring when they realised it didn't matter how shite they were - they'd still get a game.

Scunnered with the whole thing.

Luckily for me Dutch blood runs in my veins also. With Holland being a footballing "superpower" I'm sure to have at least 1 team to follow at next summer's tournament....

: