Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

2 points secured away from home thus far.

Embarrassed by Georgia.

Our closest rivals take points from the world champions, we look like school boys happy to take part.

As soon as McGhee and McCall became involved, you knew how this would end.  Absolutely reinforcing Strachan's jobs for the boys approach which served him so well at Boro too.

We've brought in no young talent this campaign so no excuses about a team in transition.  Our fresh blood has been mid-career journeymen from the English second tier with little to no experience of winning.

The SPL will be well represented in the Northern Irish team, front to back they'll have guys playing top flight Scottish football with McGovern, Mannus, Clingan, Paton, McGinn, Magennis, Boyce and McKay all likely to be challenging for a place in France.  Still at least Martin, Hanley, Ritchie and Bannan can tell their grandkids about the time they played the World Champions and "nearly" got a draw.

Oh, and Hutton now has more caps than Gemmill, Narey, Buchan, even Lambert.  In fact, Hutton has more caps than Jess, Anderson, Shearer, Weir and Simpson combined.  Whittaker, Berra and Morrison now all in excess of 30 caps as well.

This sums it up for me

Dutch still on the verge of getting knocked out. Won 2-1 against the Kazakhs but turkey just need a point against Iceland in their next game. Seems strange, but the Dutch team do appear to have become shit over the year or so. There are no players (Robben aside when fit) who are superstars or world beaters. First time in my life time that I could say that.

Aye, whichever way we look at it, "it's shite being Scottish".

This is the yin and the yang at play here.

We have so many natural advantages. Topography. Geography. Minerals. Wealth. Passion. Integrity. Ethics.

The downside was always going to be heavy.

Our neds are idiosyncratically our own. Our nepotism unfortunately, and our loyalty to uselessness is all too human.

I guess he's a little limited by who was already in the squad but why he's not giving shinnie and Russell a chance is beyond me.

Absolutely.  I'm a big fan of Darren Fletcher, but did we really need to bring him on tonight? He didn't play him against Georgia away when we really needed to play him, but tonight he got the call. Strange, to be honest.  Strachan is a thrown wee bugger, and I often wonder if he just does these things to show supporters/journalists who is boss and that he'll pick whoever he wants - as is his right. 

I'm waiting for Scott MacDonald to get a cap in the next set of qualifiers...

Absolutely.  I'm a big fan of Darren Fletcher, but did we really need to bring him on tonight? He didn't play him against Georgia away when we really needed to play him, but tonight he got the call. Strange, to be honest.  Strachan is a thrown wee bugger, and I often wonder if he just does these things to show supporters/journalists who is boss and that he'll pick whoever he wants - as is his right. 

I'm waiting for Scott MacDonald to get a cap in the next set of qualifiers...

I'm a big fan of fletcher too, or the old fletcher... He's looked a shadow of his former self and understandably so.  I can't help think that's his last cap and he was brought on to give him one last run out.

Saying that it would have been much more beneficial to blood shinnie in the Scott brown role.

I'm a big fan of fletcher too, or the old fletcher... He's looked a shadow of his former self and understandably so.  I can't help think that's his last cap and he was brought on to give him one last run out.

Saying that it would have been much more beneficial to blood shinnie in the Scott brown role.

The country got embarrassed, there's no time for sentimentality when you have to build for the future. As I said yesterday, I do think that Strachan is the person to do it but I can't help but think Bobby has a point. He's quite clearly an egomaniac so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Playing brown, Hutton and Fletcher(s) is wrong and pointless.

The country got embarrassed, there's no time for sentimentality when you have to build for the future. As I said yesterday, I do think that Strachan is the person to do it but I can't help but think Bobby has a point. He's quite clearly an egomaniac so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Playing brown, Hutton and Fletcher(s) is wrong and pointless.

I'm totally with you, but at the same time I understand his thinking bringing Darren Fletcher on, even if I don't agree with it.