Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

Very tasty.  Scouse V Mancs will be interesting, can't imagine they have ever met in Europe before.  I imagine that an 5th round FA cup tie between the two back in the day, back when the FA cup was a much bigger deal,  would have promoted similar excitement.  Both managers will really be eyeing up the europa league this season.  Not only would any trophy be welcome at both clubs but this one gives you a place in the champions league which neither are looking like qualifying through the league.    Villareal V Bayer could be an absolute cracker given their very comparable domestic campaigns as well (both sitting 4th and playing nice stuff).  Dortmund V Spurs will likely also be a really good contest to watch for obvious reasons.  I'm far more excited about these 3 games than I have been by anything the champions league has thrown up in quite a while.

Very tasty.  Scouse V Mancs will be interesting, can't imagine they have ever met in Europe before.  I imagine that an 5th round FA cup tie between the two back in the day, back when the FA cup was a much bigger deal,  would have promoted similar excitement. 

Like this perhaps (Whelan's equaliser is one of my favourite ever goals)?

Those two Whelan goals were class, the second coming off his shin.

We haven't had a footballer at AFC that good this century.

Which is why he was at Liverpool and our journeymen get paid shit, is the easy answer.

But where are the footballers like Archibald, Black, Strachan, Miller, Jess, Booth, Windass etc. etc., players with genuine talent and/or genuine heart?

In fact, who was the last decent footballer we employed?

I've not seen a super talent at AFC since Nicholas and Bett. Although I might have forgotten cos it's been too long.

Pure misfortune of fate or declining standards or lack of ambition?

Anyone else find it a little sad that the first major cup final of the English season is now relegated to second billing to a league match between Man U & Arsenal?

Not really, it was a big game. LVG's reign is under threat and Arsenal were supposed to be showing their title ambitions. Was at the game yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. So many occasions when you go to a big ground the home fans let the  atmosphere down. Old Trafford definitely did not yesterday. Some great football and Rashford looks like a very exciting prospect. Their defence is still shite and really needs to be sorted out.  I was really impressed with how Herrera was the one that did all the talking to the youngsters, when they went down, came off / on, was always talking.

All those players would be very well paid these days. I can imagine Nicholas, for example, expecting a huge salary in today's climate. A player on the fringes at Arsenal could join a Championship side or lower EPL side for upwards of £20K per week.

So, basically, money is the answer rather than ambition or declining standards. I actually think the SPL has improved over the last 3-4 years as teams have moved out of debt. Hopefully we'll sort out the u20s/reserves situation so that we can have more youngsters making the step up quicker as I do think there's an unnecessary gulf in standard between the two, which is maybe preventing the type of youth who'll burst on the seen for any team. Pretty much every young player coming into an SPL team looks very lightweight (see Wright at the weekend). But, other than youth, we're never going to make a big signing again. The type of player that'll perhaps get a few more through the gate doesn't exist for us. We have to rely on players turning out to be good once we sign them - like McGinn for instance. Over the last ten years our most exciting signing - in my opinion - was Anderson returning. Although I also think that both Shinnie and McLean were both ambitious signings given their ability - both were clearly very good players, akin to the Severin signing, which was another unexpected one. It's all relative I suppose. Rooney, for example, is our Nicholas equivalent these days. Ryan Fraser is probably our poor-man's Jess. I quite enjoy being in that bracket, where we've got slightly more than other SPL clubs, but not on a ridiculous scale (like between us and the Tims). That we don't pay the UK average salary per week to some similarly unheard of fucker is also quite reassuring. I think Scottish football has found its level, and should be quite comfortable with it. They should market it better, and there are still massive problems with the running of the game, but the teams seem to have adopted a pretty good strategy on the whole.

Hearts closing the gap to six points,  currently 2-0 up against caley. Hibs are really trying to make sure they're championship winners next season,  losing 1-0 to Queen of the south.

Falkirk now only point behind Hibs. If Hibs finish 3rd that means 3 play off ties (6 games). Not a chance they are winning them all. They are going to be a first division side next year. No way they can continue paying wages they are if that is the case. Can see them being in deep trouble next season.

What exactly is that based on?

What a club's potential position could be in the best and worst case scenario in regards to there and other club's results. So Aberdeen are going to be in 1st or 2nd no matter what the results are this weekend.