Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

I See that Mexico played two games today - One in Seattle and the other in Moscow.

I know clubs send can send out various teams in pre-season but don't recall ever seeing a National team do the same thing, especially 5000 miles apart.....unless they finished in Seattle and then immediately jumped on a plane  :thumbsup:

Could be wrong but I'm thinking the use of the Video Ref stopped a potential 'Lafferty' moment in the second half between Vidal (I think) and the German Keeper. They squared up nose to nose (actual heads connected) after the ball went out for a goal kick but neither of them went down as if they had been shot. Just old fashioned pushing anf shoving til their mates and the ref waded in.

Not entirely convinced about the Video Ref Malarky but if it starts catching out the Laffertys, Rivaldos etc then I may come round to it.

Could be wrong but I'm thinking the use of the Video Ref stopped a potential 'Lafferty' moment in the second half between Vidal (I think) and the German Keeper. They squared up nose to nose (actual heads connected) after the ball went out for a goal kick but neither of them went down as if they had been shot. Just old fashioned pushing anf shoving til their mates and the ref waded in.

Not entirely convinced about the Video Ref Malarky but if it starts catching out the Laffertys, Rivaldos etc then I may come round to it.

There was a "behind the goal" linesman about two inches from it who should have spotted it. I think the blatant Lafferty types aren't worth the technology being implemented, they are few and far between and end in decent suspensions for the players (in theory).

The problems with the technology were obvious from the few games that have been shown. The ref not using the video when they perhaps could/should have. The refs getting harassed at every slightly contentious moment to use the technology, the dicking about under pressure from managers. The inability to accept a decision from another source/ref, so the existing ref must be the one to check the video. The mistaking of "contact" with foul - usually an issue only for idiot commentators, but occasionally not fully understood by refs (i.e. just because there is contact - in a contact sport - doesn't mean there is a foul). There was plenty others as well as it just being a shite process overall. We're trying to do things arse about tit in fitba with this nonsense. We simply don't have the respect for the referee, the consistency (and ease) of decision making, the transparency and the respect of the sport and players of referees (i.e. ref arrogance) and the overwhelming abundance of cheating on the pitch during games. Once/if those things come about, then we'd be able to take a rugby view of the game. Otherwise, it'll just be an increased sham of the existing sham.

• 2 weeks later...

Killie turned over by Ayr.

Very enjoyable looking watching McCulloch's angry coupon  :thumbsup:

And some team from Glasgow's east end beat some bunch of muppets from Belfast whilst being showered with various 'projectiles'. Seemingly the Thumb got booked for complaining to the ref about it  ::)

Edit:

This pic may come back to haunt him

_96939105_booked.jpg