Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

I suspect upping Moult's bid was dependent on getting the extra money from reaching the euro playoffs - I also think we've lost out on him, but I reckon he'll be off down south now his highlights reel has got a bit of a boost.

If we had went to 500k he was ours. 100k is fuck all to us especially with Cormack back on the board. I think McInnes was the one who wouldn't sanction the extra cash rather than the board. And went and got May instead. If the ship has sailed its because an English championship team like Bolton will take a punt on him in January...500k is chickenfeed to any team in that league. But I think if he had the choice of us or sevco he would chose us...

I suspect upping Moult's bid was dependent on getting the extra money from reaching the euro playoffs - I also think we've lost out on him, but I reckon he'll be off down south now his highlights reel has got a bit of a boost.

Getting Moult would have got us to the playoffs. It was the blatant hole in the team. Trying to get there without a striker of that quality (May earlier would have also done) was a stupid risk when paying £400K for a striker shortly after anyway. I firmly believe that a decent striker to aim at was the only difference between us and the Cypriot fucks. Ironically, signing Moult would have meant we'd have made enough money to sign May too. If, as Ten Caat suggests, it was McInnes' decision the it was a fucking shocking one. Anyone who couldn't see we were going to struggle in Cyprus with a Maynard/Stockley combo disnae have a fucking clue about fitba. If it was McInnes' decision, then it's by far the worst he's made as dons manager. I'm not convinced it was though, I think there wid have been a big push from the board not to pay over the odds for a player. Anyway, I expect we'll never find out.

If we had went to 500k he was ours. 100k is fuck all to us especially with Cormack back on the board. I think McInnes was the one who wouldn't sanction the extra cash rather than the board. And went and got May instead. If the ship has sailed its because an English championship team like Bolton will take a punt on him in January...500k is chickenfeed to any team in that league. But I think if he had the choice of us or sevco he would chose us...

Seriously?  Why on earth would McInnes have not wanted Moult?  You're just trying to bash Mcinnes with absolutely no evidence.  FFS.

Seriously?  Why on earth would McInnes have not wanted Moult?  You're just trying to bash Mcinnes with absolutely no evidence.  FFS.

I don't think he's saying that. It is completely possible that McInnes might have not wanted to blow his entire budget on a single player. Or he might have thought that paying the extra cash just wasn't worth it and that he could have got a better/different player for that money. I think he'd definitely have had an opinion on what he thought Moult was worth. I'd also think he'd have the integrity to not spend the dons' money if he didn't think it was worth it. McInnes is a cautious guy too, if he wasn't 100% confident that Moult would do the business, he maybe didn't want to be the guy spending 600K + on him. It's not a criticism, just a genuine possibility.

Because I dont think he felt at the time that Moult was worth 500k. He went  out and got May instead for somewhere just north of 300k. I'm not looking to bash McInnes....he is the manager and its perfectly valid for him to think that 300k for May represented better value at that point than 500k for Moult did. However as it has panned out Moult is having the season of his life at Motherwell and were it not for the fact that he is approaching the end of his contract, would actually be worth a helluva lot more than that 500k.

All I'm sayin in effect that McInnes I believe saw it as an either/or situation with May/Moult. He also probably thought that Moult would continue as before at Motherwell and become available on a pre contract in January where we would still be his most attractive option. However his performances have improved to the point where the English Championship is now a viable option too. If we had got him in alongside May then I believe we would be in the League Cup final right now. ( and given a bit of luck avoiding injuries really challenging Celtic come season end for the title)

I reckon DM was keen on Moult and we would have paid the half mill except for the fact that Alex Neil said to Stevie May if he wanted the Aberdeen move he could have it.  Moult is clearly a talented striker and we would have been fortunate to have him but I would rather have May.  He's a far better all rounder, has already tried England so won't be itching for a shot down south and he really want's to play for DM.  No brainer on who the better acquisition was IMO

What's wrong with "bashing" McInnes, with or without specific evidence on any one single issue?

He's a fucking arse of a human being and an incompetent manager who like Calderwood, will never get a bigger job than AFC.

Actually, that may not be strictly true. Some idiot employer like the Huns or the SFA might think he's good enough to get a bigger job but he will fail big time at any bigger job because he's already been found out here.

His specific crime is that he's not a winner. He will go cautious on Wednesday and we will get fucked because of it.

He will also do something tombola-like to kid himself that he's some sort of tactical genius.

Allow me to apologise in advance of some of you taking grave offence. There may be nothing more important than AFC in your life so you don’t want to hear me insulting the manager.

I just don’t trust the cunt and whilst there’s always a bit of the express-the-negative,-the-worst-case-scenario-should-it-come-to-pass, I’m sick fed up of us bottling big games and I fear a howler coming up.

You just know he will though. The only thing I'm hoping will prevent it is the fact that we tried it earlier against Hertz and it was woeful. We have an abundance of (pish) defenders in our squad which makes me think he'll take that option.

The problem is that Christie being out forces a change in that area, and Stewart has so far been pish. That's why I think he'll do it. The problem being is that we'd still be one short in midfield. Shinnie is the only player capable of playing the left side of a 5 (Considine is fine as left back, but not as a wing back and Wright/GMS is/are fine as winger but not as back-tracking wing back), so we'd still have to chuck Ball into midfield meaning we'd potentially have 6 centre halves on the pitch at once. However, he may decide to play May in behind Rooney and just have McLean and O'Connor in the centre given the extra protection at the back.

Generally you can tell a lot about McInnes' intentions by the way he finishes the previous game. He likes to try things out (Taylor being re-introduced in the lead up to the league cup final last season as an example) late in games with the intention of starting that way in the following match. Reynolds coming on was indication - to me - that he intends to set-up this way against the Tims. It worked in the game where Quinn scored a couple of years back mind, but it's risky and I don't quite think we have the personnel for it this time round. Or, more correctly, I think we have a better chance setup differently.

I see McInnes going something like:

-----------------Lewis------------------

--Arneson----Reynolds----McKenna--

Logan----------------------------Consi

---O'Connor----Shinnie----McLean---

----------------May--------------------

--------------Rooney------------------

That'd be brutal.

Well, la Bombanera was fucking awesome. Two goals in either half saw boca win 4-0, but I honestly don't think I could go to a British football match after going to that for a long while. Wouldn't be as epic. Just as well I'm moving then  ;D I'll run through what I had to do if anyone else ends up going in the near future.

Was supposed to go with the Mrs but our contact sold the the tickets the day before we got to BA as he hadn't heard from our organisers. Needless to say, I was gutted as I hadn't really thought it would come to anything. But knowing the tickets were available until the day before was gutting. I checked out viagogo but the reviews on that site are fucking awful so I wouldn't recommend it. My hopes were very low as even tour guides didn't seem to have reliable contacts.

Boca and river plate do not sell tickets, you have to be a member. Fortunately the contact felt suitably guilty and manage to arrange a "ticket" for me despite it being illegal for non members to attend. He picked me up in town and drove me down towards the ground. He ran through what would happen once we got there. There would be a series of security checks that may not be in the order described. He then gave me a counterfeit pass that had my passport number on and photo. He also gave me a legit pass which I'd need to use at the scanners as well as handing me a phone which I used to let him know I got in ok as he wasn't coming in with me!

Order of security:

1)  show the membership card and passport

2)  security check

3)  pass scan (need a legit pass for this)

4)  pass check

5)  pass check

I was in the south stand middle tier, which was all terraced so free for all in terms of standing. So opposite the main ultras.

Atmosphere. I got there hours before so I could check out the stadium in all its glory. I wasn't alone, hundreds of others at either end were there and were happily singing away until closer to kick off. I've never known anything like it. The noise, the passion and the jumping was insane.

The weirdest thing was at the stroke of half time, everyone sat down immediately . All fine and well if you have step to yourself but everyone was stood on a step so you're left cramped trying to hold your own  ;D meanwhile the guys selling ice cream and pepsis are trying to work their way through the crowd despite not an inch of available space.

I reckon we'd give boca a good run for their money. They really aren't very good but still top the league. They also have the argentine striker, benedetto. Can't say he's anything special.

Anyway. I paid $2,000 (pesos) for all that, you can get tickets via a tour group but expect to pay nearly double that. You get a tour but not sure where you sit. I preferred my way  8) well worth the hassle and effort.

Well, la Bombanera was fucking awesome. Two goals in either half saw boca win 4-0, but I honestly don't think I could go to a British football match after going to that for a long while. Wouldn't be as epic. Just as well I'm moving then  ;D

Pittodrie v. ICT, Ross County, Kilmarnock, Dundee, Hamilton, St Mirren, Partick Thistle, Motherwell, Hibs, Hearts, St Johnstone, particularly St Johnstone shits all over that shite.

Good account bro ?

Pittodrie v. ICT, Ross County, Kilmarnock, Dundee, Hamilton, St Mirren, Partick Thistle, Motherwell, Hibs, Hearts, St Johnstone, particularly St Johnstone shits all over that shite.

Good account bro ?

Quite right, I always forget how noisy the sweetie papers are at Pittodrie  ;)

How much did you pay? 2k sounds frightening but I don’t know the currency.

It's about £80, so a lot but for tourists that's the price they get charged at (if you're lucky). It was very much a one off. I asked him how much they pay and I think it's pretty much that for the season...

Our tour guide (walking tour) said she knew folk to pay up to double that for a grade a game though. Blackmarket value of course.

That’s a great deal for a one-off life experience. Good work dude.

Dinna get the sit doon ritual at HT but why not? Fitba’s over. But who’s legs are so weak they need immediate rest? At’s a weird een like.

I don't get it either, but it all took me by surprise. Suddenly found myself without a "seat" so had to make space.

Isn't it brilliant Manc .

Did you spend some time walking around Boca?

The ultimate of course being the Maracana which is brilliant.

Are you going to Rio?

I remember making a Coke comment about Maracana as a joke to a guy.didnt go down well haha.

He's an incredible idol there.

Not on game day but went yesterday. Beautiful area. Fortunately we didn't see too many tango dancers, heard they're quite vicious about asking for cash. Have to go to Brazil on another trip, too expensive and not enough time. Although the maracana is closed now  :(