Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

Their back four/five if you want to include Gordon are suspect. Rogers seems to want to play out from the back. One of his first signings was De Vries whom he saw as a ball playing "sweeper" keeper. None look comfortable with ball at feet under pressure. They look even more suspect this season with Brown now half a yard off the pace.

They are getting away with it at the minute because they have relative quality in the final third. As said, if you sit back and invite them on they have the quality to nick a goal or two.

Rogers now seems to be in a position where he is unsure of the style of football he wants/has the players to play. He doesn't have the quality to do what he started off doing. He either does not possess the tactical nous or is too arrogant in his selections to beat teams at their own game and/or set up to make effective changes if teams do surprise him tactically.

You could see in our game we initially set up to play as we did in the cup final, which he was expecting, hence the first goal. McInnes then changed it, but because they hadn't shoe horned McGregor in at LB he was able to make effective changes. Perhaps he thought his masterstroke in our game was just the Hayes for Izzaguirre, and he thought if he swapped Ralston for Lustig it would have a similar effect, I dunno.

I think it shows that Rogers got lucky in our game and perhaps was too arrogant in his team selection against the huns.

If we set up properly we can beat them, I think McInnes has the ability to out think Rogers. But, as you say, does he have the bottle or confidence/trust in himself and his own players to take the game to them and do so?

You make some excellent points about Rodgers. He isn't infallible and I don't think he would be any good as a manager if he was properly tested. You're right that he struggles to adapt to game situations and their back 5 are indeed shite under serious pressure, as we've seen many times since the summer. Celtic were very slow to start this season but got on a good run which came to a crashing halt at Ibrox. The January window has now become his most important one, probably of his whole career. We will see how good or otherwise a manager he really is in the next five months although I hope he's lucky enough to prevent the SPFL going to Stevie Cunt. I've already written off Aberdeen's chances of winning the league under McInnes.

Cracking game between Man City and Liverpool. 2-1 win for Man City keeps English title race alive. Usually these games are bit of a let down but enjoyed that tonight.

Couldn't agree more Jute. Phenomenal standard of footballers on show, including young Scotsman Robertson who is a wonderful footballer. That Liverpool move in the first half which ended up with a 1.1 cm margin was brilliant but the best team won and that's good for the rest of their season.

Aye. The two city goals were something else. Both finishes millimetre perfect. Some of the one-touch triangles when being pressed by, at times 5 Liverpool players, particularity in the first 20 minutes. Sane and Fernandinho, in a game where there were so many brilliant performances. I'll often stick games on nowadays and view them glancing up from my phone, not last night.

It was a pretty decent game and a good advert for a league that comes in for a lot of criticism (and rightly so most of the time.)

I was of the opinion that a draw would've been a fair result. I don't believe there was much between the teams at all. Loveren was a bit shit. Kompany nae his usual self (and hasn't been for a long time) and lucky to stay on the park. Liverpool a ball hair away from scoring first too when some sublime football almost created a bizarre Ederson OG. Many City started with a lot of possession but were mostly knocking it around in their own half. Loveren gifted Aguero a chance which he duly took. Sane's bit of quality proved to be enough.

Obviously I want Liverpool to win the league just to get it up Manc Don  :wave: so last night was a tough defeat to take. I was quietly fancying an invincible season. I don't expect Liverpool to play with a newfound sense of "freedom" that losing an unbeaten run can apprently bring. I expect them to have a poorer second half of the season than first and I expect man City to pip them to the title.

As a game I found it a bit meh to be honest.  It held my attention but for 2 of the worlds best teams it wasn't exactly a classic.

Different strokes, different folks.

What I enjoyed about it most of all was the level of technical skill on show. The passing was crisp, fast, slick and accurate. Close control was superb, Barcelona-esque in their heyday and most of all, so few mistakes like we are burdened with in the SPFL. Obviously given the wages they are on and the level they play at, it's unfair to compare the two best teams in that league with the journeymen we watch at Pittodrie but the game is still the same and it's nice to see it being played properly for a change. Some of the moves and passing was out of this world and the last two goals were tremendously well constructed, the first being a sheer bit of Aguero magic, as he always finds against Liverpool at home.

I don't really care who wins the EPL but if forced to make a pick, I would definitely go Citeh. I think they're the better all-round team and much as Klopp has an excellent record v. Pep in individual matches, there has to be a question mark about Klopp's ability to deliver the big ones, having lost 6 or 7 major finals including Champions League. That was as good as a final last night in that if Liverpool had been good enough to win, they would have been heavily odds-on with a 10 point margin but they never deserved to win with their front 3 being unable to work enough decent chances. I also expect that with De Bruyne returning to fitness, City will become even stronger. The biggest shock to me was how they lost consecutively to Leicester and Palace. Didn't see either game but they'll not do that again this season. They are a great football team with superb balance in the squad. Citeh will have it tied up with at least one game to spare would be my guess.

Obviously I want Liverpool to win the league just to get it up Manc Don  :wave: so last night was a tough defeat to take. I was quietly fancying an invincible season. I don't expect Liverpool to play with a newfound sense of "freedom" that losing an unbeaten run can apprently bring. I expect them to have a poorer second half of the season than first and I expect man City to pip them to the title.

;D Anyone but Liverpool mate ;)

Was watching it at home in NL, and the ziggo commentators thought it was all down to the defender?  I couldn't understand it because I thought the keeper was at fault there. WTF was he doing?! Bizarre circumstances, scousers were very unlucky (phew). I do think you'll do it this year and given how many liverpool fans there seems to be in NZ, I won't even be able to hide from the wank fest that'll be going on  :hammer:

;D Anyone but Liverpool mate ;)

Was watching it at home in NL, and the ziggo commentators thought it was all down to the defender?  I couldn't understand it because I thought the keeper was at fault there. WTF was he doing?! Bizarre circumstances, scousers were very unlucky (phew). I do think you'll do it this year and given how many liverpool fans there seems to be in NZ, I won't even be able to hide from the wank fest that'll be going on  :hammer:

Agree that keeper was at fault.

Don't agree that Liverpool will win the league.

I think it's possible that City could win every one of their last 17 and post 101 points.

Everton have been my English team since I was 8. So the the thought of either Liverpool or City winning the league doesn't exactly fill me with joy either way.

Undeniably Liverpool play football the way it was meant to be played so on balance I'm wanting them to come through in the end. Well unless Spurs can go on a long winning run and pip them both which would definitely be my preference but I am a realist...

Hammer blow to Killie (and competition in our league) as Greg Stewart is recalled by Birmingham. Supposedly heading to Sunderland. This along with Jones signing precontract with Tribute Act will seriously weaken Killie making them less likely to do any damage to either of the arse cheeks.

Hammer blow to Killie (and competition in our league) as Greg Stewart is recalled by Birmingham. Supposedly heading to Sunderland. This along with Jones signing precontract with Tribute Act will seriously weaken Killie making them less likely to do any damage to either of the arse cheeks.

That's their season well and truly fucked I'd have thought.

That's their season well and truly fucked I'd have thought.

Doesn't look great for them.

Tim's supposedly looking to loan out Mulumbu. If true, while I'd still like him to come here, I'd imagine he'll be back to Clarke.

If they can screw the sevco for some money for Jones to go now, I'd imagine Clarke will be able to bring in adequate replacements for him and Stewart.

Leeds 2-0 up against Derby. Lowe getting absolutely roasted all game by the Leeds right winger

He never got past Lowe once in the first half. Max's only mistakes (in the first 45) were misplaced passes, in common with the whole of the Derby team. He singlehandedly created the best chance of the first half for Derby but the striker miscontrolled it. Leeds were so superior overall.

Spurs just scored a literal last 10 second winner away to Fulham, and I swear to God, their supporters seemed awfully subdued considering the goal and the timing etc... weird as fuck  :-\

Maybe it was sight of Dele Alli limping off just before goal.