Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

6 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Afraid to say, I am at  an age when events like this could potentially cause me to pish myself 😉

Embrace it.

cant say i agree with pandas comment either. McInnes had a crack at Europe multiple times and came up short everytime. I’m happy enough for killie to progress but not because of McInnes. 

15 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Afraid to say, I am at  an age when events like this could potentially cause me to pish myself 😉

For clarity I did say might, not didn't, however if they had conceded twice in added on time, I would have soaked my breeks 😂

55 minutes ago, BigAl said:

No offence meant

I should bloody well hope not.

Why do you think he deserves it

Has opportunities with us and didn't make it

Think we were the unseeded team every time. Maybe the only time we were seeded it was Maribor who we were desperately unlucky against (goal chopped off, resulting pen missed, Stockley red).

I wouldn't begrudge the man finally making it.

Why should we hope he makes it as soon as he gets near it with a.n.other club ?

Genuine question 

Cos it reduces Hearts' prize money, it gives Killie more games to play on the fixture list, and it's coefficient points for Scotland. All three of those benefit Aberdeen.

15 hours ago, Panda said:

Noted: Let's use "New Firm" relentlessly before the next ga... derby.

Hope Hearts lose cos don't want them getting the coins from the Europa League. Doubt they gave Aberdeen much support against Hacken last season for that same reason.

But good luck to Kilmarnock. Derek McInnes I would say deserves a crack at the group/league stage.

Does he fuck. He shouldn't have fucked it with us then. Better squad, bigger budget and still fucked it. There were some cracking results I know.. but the tactics often left much to be desired. The 2nd Rijeka away tie is one that springs to mind.

2 hours ago, Tyrant said:

Does he fuck. He shouldn't have fucked it with us then. Better squad, bigger budget and still fucked it. There were some cracking results I know.. but the tactics often left much to be desired. The 2nd Rijeka away tie is one that springs to mind.

Aye, granted, that was pish.

But this is why I'll probably live longer than the rest of you - I've learned to let it go. Good luck to the big fella.

Only watched the last 15 minutes of Atletico v Girona tonight like a proud dad, but Miovski barely got a touch, mainly due to how wasteful the two wide men for Girona were.

If the video above plays, that was the one chance that fell Miovski's way. Probably should do better but he still has the same number of La Liga goals as Mbappe.

27 minutes ago, Reekie_Red said:

FT, Killie out. Bets are on for McInnes to blame his teams tough schedule, ignoring the fact he didn't build a squad to compete on euro and domestic fronts 

Pray for my sparring partner Panda 🙏 

He's going to be hurting for his hero Del 😂

I'll let them find a room together  and moan like fuck. 

1 hour ago, Reekie_Red said:

FT, Killie out. Bets are on for McInnes to blame his teams tough schedule, ignoring the fact he didn't build a squad to compete on euro and domestic fronts 

Why would he build a squad to compete in Europe when they were overwhelmingly odds against to get past the play offs? Unless he was trying to bankrupt Killie. That'd be fine.

10 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Why would he build a squad to compete in Europe when they were overwhelmingly odds against to get past the play offs? Unless he was trying to bankrupt Killie. That'd be fine.

You boys are trying to bait Panda aren't you.

Please play nice 🙂 

He is hurting tonight 

• Haha 1

Tims one up with half an hour gone and the huns are looking out of ideas already.  We have a massive opportunity to take second this season cos they are not going to deal with a Thursday-Sunday schedule well. 

Edited by tlg1903

5 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Tims one up with half an hour gone and the huns are looking out of ideas already.  We have a massive opportunity to take second this season cos they are not going to deal with a Thursday-Sunday schedule well. 

Trying not to over react or be unrealistic. But are rangers shit? Don’t know if the manager is highly regarded and don’t really know many of their players. Butland is a decent keeper, tavernier is good attacking but a poor defender, and souttar is an average defender. Barron is a decent young player but we upgraded with sivert. As you mentioned too, throw in the demands of Europe, definitely an opportunity for us.

Oh they are shit alright and they are going to get worse I reckon.  They don't have the depth for europe and Clement is already under huge pressure.  I was just having a look at a hun forum there and a lot of them want him gone already.  One of the more switched on huns managed to put it together that by the next time they play, Tannadice in a fortnight, they will likely be 8 points behind us as we play Motherwell the day before.  If so and they drop points at utd it's going to get so toxic. 

18 hours ago, Panda said:

Sky commentary today: "Second in Glasgow means second in Scotland."

Rangers are currently second in Glasgow and fourth in the Premiership.

He’s not wrong. Second in Scotland at the end of the season means something, and until someone else finishes second it will be rangers or Celtic. 

great momentum behind us at present but things get tougher. Only two league games in September but it’s two top six teams. And Dundee haven’t lost yet. So far all teams we’ve beaten are bottom six. Then October gets even tougher.

we were bottom six last year so certainly progress has been made. If we’re first or second at the beginning of November that’s a statement. Early days.

3 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

He’s not wrong. Second in Scotland at the end of the season means something, and until someone else finishes second it will be rangers or Celtic. 

great momentum behind us at present but things get tougher. Only two league games in September but it’s two top six teams. And Dundee haven’t lost yet. So far all teams we’ve beaten are bottom six. Then October gets even tougher.

we were bottom six last year so certainly progress has been made. If we’re first or second at the beginning of November that’s a statement. Early days.

It's near impossible to overturn a 4-5x budget deficit in a league season. I think we'll beat them at least once, and hopefully we can get them in the cup before they change manager again, but they'll sort themselves out and spend money in January if they're behind then (which I think is very unlikely, as we haven't been hugely convincing in the final third in most games). The Huns finishing below us is something I see as a longer term project. With the Tims continually expanding the gap between them and their other cheek, I think the Hun support will begin to dwindle and their financial situation suffer more and more. If we can get the budget gap to 2-3x, then we have a great chance in any individual season if they suffer from bad signings and injuries and we get a good season. We would have been there by now if the Tims, in my opinion, hadn't self sabotaged and let the Hun win to prevent the ten in a row. I believe that was a very significant milestone that would have tipped many a Hun over the edge and they'd have thrown in the towel. If the Tims win the next 2-3 titles then I could see the Hun support back down to its 80s levels again. Although, with European football constantly changing, I could see them being thrown a fig leaf of some spurious new European league or some pish that will save them (I'm not saying UEFA want to save the Huns, it'll be coincidental).

I always think it's best to look at the points totals to get a good barometer of where we are. The Huns finished on 85 last season, with 7 losses. I don't see them finishing any worse than that this season. Realistically, to get second, you're going to need 85-90. I don't think the current Dons' squad is capable of that. 70 would be an excellent achievement in my opinion. No other club has got more than 76 points we got in 16/17, and I don't see our team doing that this season either. I don't see it as a bad thing. We need to build over a few years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I always think it's best to look at the points totals to get a good barometer of where we are. The Huns finished on 85 last season, with 7 losses. I don't see them finishing any worse than that this season. Realistically, to get second, you're going to need 85-90. I don't think the current Dons' squad is capable of that. 70 would be an excellent achievement in my opinion. No other club has got more than 76 points we got in 16/17, and I don't see our team doing that this season either. I don't see it as a bad thing. We need to build over a few years.

That’s a fair take Rico I think folks are getting a bit carried away at the moment. It seems like we are going to do fine this season and assuming the other contenders continue to struggle like they are at the moment, I think we have an excellent opportunity to take third place. After the game on Saturday and how close we came to losing it you would think we would get a bit more perspective. That’s not to take away from the performance in general which was good but if it wasn’t for the penalty save we could have easily dropped the points. The last time we beat Rangers into second was 17/18, and that season they finished on 70 points while we had 73. Are they as bad as they were that season and are we as good? I doubt both those things although I would of course be delighted to be proved wrong. 

Edited by DantheDon

1 hour ago, DantheDon said:

The last time we beat Rangers into second was 17/18, and that season they finished on 70 points while we had 73. Are they as bad as they were that season and are we as good? I doubt both those things although I would of course be delighted to be proved wrong

No. At that point, they'd only been a couple of years in the top flight and were just beginning their big spending with a director of football. Their squad isn't terrible under Clement it's just that they're way off the Tims, which is the only barometer they care about.