Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

4 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

It's near impossible to overturn a 4-5x budget deficit in a league season. I think we'll beat them at least once, and hopefully we can get them in the cup before they change manager again, but they'll sort themselves out and spend money in January if they're behind then (which I think is very unlikely, as we haven't been hugely convincing in the final third in most games). The Huns finishing below us is something I see as a longer term project. With the Tims continually expanding the gap between them and their other cheek, I think the Hun support will begin to dwindle and their financial situation suffer more and more. If we can get the budget gap to 2-3x, then we have a great chance in any individual season if they suffer from bad signings and injuries and we get a good season. We would have been there by now if the Tims, in my opinion, hadn't self sabotaged and let the Hun win to prevent the ten in a row. I believe that was a very significant milestone that would have tipped many a Hun over the edge and they'd have thrown in the towel. If the Tims win the next 2-3 titles then I could see the Hun support back down to its 80s levels again. Although, with European football constantly changing, I could see them being thrown a fig leaf of some spurious new European league or some pish that will save them (I'm not saying UEFA want to save the Huns, it'll be coincidental).

I always think it's best to look at the points totals to get a good barometer of where we are. The Huns finished on 85 last season, with 7 losses. I don't see them finishing any worse than that this season. Realistically, to get second, you're going to need 85-90. I don't think the current Dons' squad is capable of that. 70 would be an excellent achievement in my opinion. No other club has got more than 76 points we got in 16/17, and I don't see our team doing that this season either. I don't see it as a bad thing. We need to build over a few years.

You are arguing my point. Second in Glasgow is second in Scotland unfortunately. Will take an awful lot for us or anyone to change that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

He’s not wrong. Second in Scotland at the end of the season means something, and until someone else finishes second it will be rangers or Celtic. 

Aye you all make lovely well argued points about how great Rangers are.

But he is wrong, as are you. They may well be favourites for second, they may very well secure it comfortably, but they aren't second. They're fourth.

On 02/09/2024 at 09:43, OxfordDon said:

So has Naismith - he was extended to 2026 4 weeks ago, Clement to 2028 3 weeks ago.  Pricey either way.

So they are both either stuck with their respective dross, or have to pay hefty payouts. Either way, I am laughing!!!!! No sympathy for either of these cnuts

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Panda said:

Aye you all make lovely well argued points about how great Rangers are.

But he is wrong, as are you. They may well be favourites for second, they may very well secure it comfortably, but they aren't second. They're fourth.

I don’t think anyone is saying rangers are great, indeed, I was commenting earlier how shite they appear to be. But Scotland is for the most part rangers and celtic to most people in world football. Fergie impacted that for a short period, but nobody can argue Scotland being rangers and Celtic, and the rest. Great that we are 2nd on GD but it’s long term that matters, trophies too, and I will be stunned if rangers go to total shit where this year and we can realistically finish second. Many will argue the system is rigged and things will go for rangers to prevent them going to total shit again. I’d love it if it happened though.

7 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

I don’t think anyone is saying rangers are great, indeed, I was commenting earlier how shite they appear to be. But Scotland is for the most part rangers and celtic to most people in world football. Fergie impacted that for a short period, but nobody can argue Scotland being rangers and Celtic, and the rest. Great that we are 2nd on GD but it’s long term that matters, trophies too, and I will be stunned if rangers go to total shit where this year and we can realistically finish second. Many will argue the system is rigged and things will go for rangers to prevent them going to total shit again. I’d love it if it happened though.

In your opinion, Rangers will finish second. That's fine, you may well be proved right at the end of the season.

But Sky TV to state as an undeniable fact that "Scottish football IS the Old Firm" (which, disgustingly, you've just repeated there) is what I'm referring to.

Not only is it unimaginative and disrespectful as the league's main broadcaster makes no attempt to promote the rest of the league, it's also incorrect. They're currently fourth. In England they would be talking up a strong start from someone else not dismissing them already in September.

Thank god the BBC are here to champion the rest.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

In your opinion, Rangers will finish second. That's fine, you may well be proved right at the end of the season.

But Sky TV to state as an undeniable fact that "Scottish football IS the Old Firm" (which, disgustingly, you've just repeated there) is what I'm referring to.

Not only is it unimaginative and disrespectful as the league's main broadcaster makes no attempt to promote the rest of the league, it's also incorrect. They're currently fourth. In England they would be talking up a strong start from someone else not dismissing them already in September.

Thank god the BBC are here to champion the rest.

Bit in bold, you never mentioned in your original post, nor has anyone stated that in response. Nevertheless, for sky TV, Celtic and Rangers (only a BBC panderer would use the term old firm, which in itself places them on a pedestal*) are Scottish football, as is their right. According to you, they said "second in Glasgow is second in Scotland", which could be true depending on your definition of what second is. Celtic are correctly still described as champions, for example, despite the fact that they haven't won the league this season. It's not incorrect, therefore, to call the other scum second, as that's the "title" they currently hold. Anyway, as we've argued, there doesn't appear to be a mechanism for the Huns to so spectacularly fuck up their budget advantage that they'd get less than 80 points this season.

*Mods, can you run a script to go through my posting history and quickly delete any posts where I've used the term old firm? Much appreciated.

12 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Nevertheless, for sky TV, Celtic and Rangers (only a BBC panderer would use the term old firm, which in itself places them on a pedestal

It's a nickname given to a derby. It doesn't put them on a pedestal.

Puzzling that people get upset at the term "Old Firm" but are fine with Sky claiming Scottish football starts and ends with them.

12 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Celtic are correctly still described as champions, for example, despite the fact that they haven't won the league this season. It's not incorrect, therefore, to call the other scum second, as that's the "title" they currently hold.

That is irrelevant.

Someone stating "second in Glasgow is second in Scotland" are stating that as a fact.

It may have been the case last season, but it wasn't for 50% of the last 12 seasons. It may well happen this season, however it's completely overlooking that one non-old firm team is currently five points clear of Rangers.

It was Sky TV doing their usual "the Old Firm are Scottish football" shtick, and it's wrong, both morally and factually. 

Aberdeen are joint top, Rangers are fourth. Second in Glasgow is currently fourth in Scotland. And that will remain the case until such time as it is not.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

It's a nickname given to a derby. It doesn't put them on a pedestal.

Puzzling that people get upset at the term "Old Firm" but are fine with Sky claiming Scottish football starts and ends with them.

Not it isn't, it's a collective term used to describe the two teams. I doubt we'd have to traverse the BBC website too far to find a fawning article by some former player saying "when you play for the old firm, you must win games" or some other inane shite. The term transcended the fixture a long time ago, that's what makes it so insidious. 

Sky didn't claim that Scottish football starts and ends with them, those are your words.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

That is irrelevant.

Someone stating "second in Glasgow is second in Scotland" are stating that as a fact.

It's not irrelevant, because it is a fact. Or certainly sky would argue it is. It's not inaccurate, but I agree with you that it's not a way of phrasing that does us (Scottish football) any favours. 

1 hour ago, Panda said:

It was Sky TV doing their usual "the Old Firm are Scottish football" shtick, and it's wrong, both morally and factually

Sky is a corporation, who's morals are underwritten by the market and economic system within which they operate. They are well within the boundaries of that system. Our national broadcaster is not bound by that system but does a fairly poor job of maintaining impartiality and, most importantly, Scottish football itself does not pursue any moral standard within its administration and setup. We, collectively, need to get our own house in order before we can dictate to sky. I'd love to see it.

41 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Not it isn't, it's a collective term used to describe the two teams. I doubt we'd have to traverse the BBC website too far to find a fawning article by some former player saying "when you play for the old firm, you must win games" or some other inane shite. 

Likewise, I doubt I'd have to trawl too far to find examples of you using the term "old firm". It's just a name, no-one of sane mind should really care about it.

Sky didn't claim that Scottish football starts and ends with them, those are your words.

They absolutely meant that when they said it.

We, collectively, need to get our own house in order before we can dictate to sky. I'd love to see it.

Thing is, you're arguing about stuff here that wasn't even in my original point. 

Second in Glasgow is NOT second in Scotland. All the arguing about what you think of the BBC's impartiality or who you think will finish second is irrelevant.

21 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

It's near impossible to overturn a 4-5x budget deficit in a league season. I think we'll beat them at least once, and hopefully we can get them in the cup before they change manager again, but they'll sort themselves out and spend money in January if they're behind then (which I think is very unlikely, as we haven't been hugely convincing in the final third in most games). The Huns finishing below us is something I see as a longer term project. With the Tims continually expanding the gap between them and their other cheek, I think the Hun support will begin to dwindle and their financial situation suffer more and more. If we can get the budget gap to 2-3x, then we have a great chance in any individual season if they suffer from bad signings and injuries and we get a good season. We would have been there by now if the Tims, in my opinion, hadn't self sabotaged and let the Hun win to prevent the ten in a row. I believe that was a very significant milestone that would have tipped many a Hun over the edge and they'd have thrown in the towel. If the Tims win the next 2-3 titles then I could see the Hun support back down to its 80s levels again. Although, with European football constantly changing, I could see them being thrown a fig leaf of some spurious new European league or some pish that will save them (I'm not saying UEFA want to save the Huns, it'll be coincidental).

I always think it's best to look at the points totals to get a good barometer of where we are. The Huns finished on 85 last season, with 7 losses. I don't see them finishing any worse than that this season. Realistically, to get second, you're going to need 85-90. I don't think the current Dons' squad is capable of that. 70 would be an excellent achievement in my opinion. No other club has got more than 76 points we got in 16/17, and I don't see our team doing that this season either. I don't see it as a bad thing. We need to build over a few years.

Rico I think you are overestimating the tribute act at the moment, I really do.  I've been checking in on their forums since the Kiev result and when you filter out all the knuckle draggers the more football savvy hun is very depressed right now.  The consistent message is basically "we are terrible, worse than we were last season, broke, temporarily homeless and it's going get worse and really toxic cos we are not equipped for a thursday-sunday schedule, I'm more depressed now than i was in 2012 as at least there was hope then"  One was even smart enough to put it together that they are probably going to be 8 points behind us (not that I'm taking that for granted but I can understand why we will be favourites to beat Motherwell) by the time they kick off against Utd and they are very worried about that Utd game I might add.  Clement is looking like a rabbit in the headlights after a promising beginning and one poster said "we just need him standing in a bush now", a lot of them have turned on him.  I don't think it matters what they are spending 2bh because they clearly are not spending it well.  2nd place is well up for grabs imo, I'm not saying we will defo get it, it's a long season after all, but I think it should be seen as a realistic target given how we have started. I mean, if we are going to do it this is probably how it looks to begin with. 

It should also be recognised that this isn't all about the huns being shite. Sure, that's necessary, but despite being a work in progress we are looking far better than I expected us to at this stage. It's not unfair to say the fixture list has been kind to us but pre Thelin coming in the door the biggest question mark was how we were going to do against teams that sat in.   So far, so good on that front and I don't know about anyone else but I'm really looking forward to the Dundee away game at the end of the month because this will be the first time we play someone that is actually going to try and have a go at us.  As for that work in progress it's also worth noting just how much time on the training pitch Thelin is getting with his players compared to his counterparts at rivals.  I think that is a real silver lining for not getting into Europe btw, Thelin is getting plenty time in his first season to work with his squad and I genuinely believe we will see performances improve steadily throughout the season as a result far more than we would if we had a European campaign to negotiate.

All in I think we have a hell of a chance of getting second, i certainly don't think they are overtaking us in the table anytime soon.  

Edited by tlg1903
  • Like 1

Our fans are getting a wee bit excited by very little IMO.  The shitey stages of the league cup apart, we have played four proper games this season and beaten St Mirren and Killie at home and St Johnstone and Ross County away.  I mean it's not exactly the European elite is it?

Rangers have dropped five points via a draw at Tynecastle and a loss at Parkhead so are basically two points worse off than you would probably expect them to be at this stage.  

I'd like to think we will be a good bit better than last season but realistically we have only changed three or four players from last season and lost 25 goals out of our team by selling a £7M striker.  We still have the nucleus of a side that was nearly hauled into a relegation scrap a few months back.  To say we have suddenly a great chance of second place is a bit strong at this stage but fingers crossed.   

27 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Rico I think you are overestimating the tribute act at the moment, I really do.  I've been checking in on their forums since the Kiev result and when you filter out all the knuckle draggers the more football savvy hun is very depressed right now.  The consistent message is basically "we are terrible, worse than we were last season, broke, temporarily homeless and it's going get worse and really toxic cos we are not equipped for a thursday-sunday schedule, I'm more depressed now than i was in 2012 as at least there was hope then"  One was even smart enough to put it together that they are probably going to be 8 points behind us (not that I'm taking that for granted but I can understand why we will be favourites to beat Motherwell) by the time they kick off against Utd and they are very worried about that Utd game I might add.  Clement is looking like a rabbit in the headlights after a promising beginning and one poster said "we just need him standing in a bush now", a lot of them have turned on him.  I don't think it matters what they are spending 2bh because they clearly are not spending it well.  2nd place is well up for grabs imo, I'm not saying we will defo get it, it's a long season after all, but I think it should be seen as a realistic target given how we have started. I mean, if we are going to do it this is probably how it looks to begin with. 

It should also be recognised that this isn't all about the huns being shite. Sure, that's necessary, but despite being a work in progress we are looking far better than I expected us to at this stage. It's not unfair to say the fixture list has been kind to us but pre Thelin coming in the door the biggest question mark was how we were going to do against teams that sat in.   So far, so good on that front and I don't know about anyone else but I'm really looking forward to the Dundee away game at the end of the month because this will be the first time we play someone that is actually going to try and have a go at us.  As for that work in progress it's also worth noting just how much time on the training pitch Thelin is getting with his players compared to his counterparts at rivals.  I think that is a real silver lining for not getting into Europe btw, Thelin is getting plenty time in his first season to work with his squad and I genuinely believe we will see performances improve steadily throughout the season as a result far more than we would if we had a European campaign to negotiate.

All in I think we have a hell of a chance of getting second, i certainly don't think they are overtaking us in the table anytime soon.  

But you're not addressing the points totals I'm mentioning. I don't think saying that they'll get to 80 points is overestimating them. I think that's a very poor return for a Hun team, but let's be wild and say they'll get as low as 75. Our squad doesn't look nearly good enough to get to 75, 70 would be a huge achievement in Thelin's first season, and I think we'll probably struggle to get that if we get one or two injuries. I'm completely fine with that, that's what the building process is about. I don't really give a fuck what Hun fans say either, because they - all of them - have zero ability to be objective and just go into melt down after every defeat to the Tims. They'll get their usual dodgy penalty next week on the way to a comfortable win and all will be forgotten. Just as nobody was talking about how shite they were after they pumped county 6-0. The only way I could see them slipping further into the shite is if something happened off the pitch and the financial issues started again. Which would be fantastic.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Likewise, I doubt I'd have to trawl too far to find examples of you using the term "old firm". It's just a name, no-one of sane mind should really care about it.

It's not just a name though, it's a brand. One that gets put front and foremost in every discussion of our game on every network, and is used by our own administrators as the primary way to sell the game in this country. Celtic and Rangers didn't band together to trademark it for nothing. It's a symbol of everything that's wrong with our game, and anyone who cares what Sky says in a throw away line should ultimately care about the branding of two teams, because Sky's comments are the logical end point. Obviously. 

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Thing is, you're arguing about stuff here that wasn't even in my original point. 

Second in Glasgow is NOT second in Scotland. All the arguing about what you think of the BBC's impartiality or who you think will finish second is irrelevant

Exactly, I'm expanding on your point because Sky is the least of our issues, or the conclusion of them. We sell our rights to Sky on the premise that we're happy for them to only cover two teams for the majority of their output. It's fairly ridiculous to then berate them for their shite output. I only brought up the BBC as an example because they are not beholden to the market rules in the same way. When even they can't provide balanced (impartial was not the right term, biased would have been better) coverage, it's a lot to expect of Sky. Although they could still validly make the case that second in Glasgow is second in Scotland if they so choose, because the Huns currently "hold" second (I think @OrlandoDon's assertion that you're not really second until you finish second is probably quite apt). It's not the most egregious offence from Sky anyway.

1 minute ago, RicoS321 said:

But you're not addressing the points totals I'm mentioning. I don't think saying that they'll get to 80 points is overestimating them. I think that's a very poor return for a Hun team, but let's be wild and say they'll get as low as 75. Our squad doesn't look nearly good enough to get to 75, 70 would be a huge achievement in Thelin's first season, and I think we'll probably struggle to get that if we get one or two injuries. I'm completely fine with that, that's what the building process is about. I don't really give a fuck what Hun fans say either, because they - all of them - have zero ability to be objective and just go into melt down after every defeat to the Tims. They'll get their usual dodgy penalty next week on the way to a comfortable win and all will be forgotten. Just as nobody was talking about how shite they were after they pumped county 6-0. The only way I could see them slipping further into the shite is if something happened off the pitch and the financial issues started again. Which would be fantastic.

Time will tell but I think they will be doing very well to get 80 points to be totally honest.  They simply don't have the squad to cope with the schedule they have coming and everything about the club is becoming more toxic by the day.  As for us I actually think we have a really good chance to break the record DM set.  The squad is looking pretty well balanced, only real question mark is rb cover but milne can do a shift there, pretty much every league game we will play this season the squad will be well rested and prepped  and so far only the dundee clubs  look to have their house in order outside of Celtic.  October will be a big month for us, in fact it could be season defining 2bh.  We are  home to hearts, away to celtic, home to utd and home to der hun.  I would say 9 from 12 points is very achievable there and if we got it i bet we would be double points or thereabouts  clear of the cunts. 

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

We are going to make a shit load of cash on this boy

Doesn't look out of place at this level 

Very possibly re cash and agree about looking .  I did agree with Wright and Keane at ht that he really should have been laying in Pukki instead of having a go but the kid is still young, hopefully he learns from it. 

36 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Very possibly re cash and agree about looking .  I did agree with Wright and Keane at ht that he really should have been laying in Pukki instead of having a go but the kid is still young, hopefully he learns from it. 

Hopefully he sticks it in the top corner next time. Keane can GTF, if that was a Man Utd darling like Ronaldo or Beckham he’d be saying something about all top players having the arrogance and self belief to have a go in that situation. 

• Like 1