Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Todays fitba

TENEMENTFUNSTER

Man Utd went down 1-0 to Villa.  United were pretty pish despite having most of the ball. When will Rooney learn that no matter how many times he tries to kick the ball through someone's body the end result will be the same? i.e. it won't go through their body.

Spanish football - Barca ahead in the Barcelona derby thanks to a very dubious spot kick. Only 12 mins left. 

Tony Adams is in the studio and he said:

"Ibrahimovic is as good a forward as Marco van Basten was".

Get back on the drink, Tone.

Man Utd went down 1-0 to Villa.  United were pretty pish despite having most of the ball. When will Rooney learn that no matter how many times he tries to kick the ball through someone's body the end result will be the same? i.e. it won't go through their body.

Spanish football - Barca ahead in the Barcelona derby thanks to a very dubious spot kick. Only 12 mins left. 

Sounds like he already is...

He's not even as good a forward as Eto'o was  ;D

It wouldn't surprise me if van Basten was the only point of reference in Adams' tiny mind.  MvB made him look that much of a mug in Euro88 I'd be surprised if Adams wasn't still having nightmares about it.

Watching Valencia-Real... for such a hard bastard, Carlos Marchena doesn't half cry a lot when he's tackled.

2-2 in the Valencia-Real game, cracking match with only 10 mins to go.  Two good goals from Higuain for Real but two nightmares from Casillas, continuing his "goalkeeping like a spastic" start to the 09/10 season, levels it up.

oof!! 2-3 Real, header from Ezequiel Garay.

Great game.

Marchena is a cock.

Dunno, I never really rated Zlatan until he signed for Barca. He's having a great season.

Zlatan is a great forward, that cannot be disputed. I'm surprised you never rated him pre barca. He was awesome at Ajax and i was disappointed to see him leave.

Ach, always thought he was a good if inconsistent player.

Just never had him as one of the best in the world until I'd saw him with Barca this year.

Maybe just getting more exposure to him in la Liga.

???

2134: FULL-TIME Liverpool 1-2 Fiorentina

Fiorentina goal: Young Liverpool defender Stephen Darby is caught in possession by Juan Vargas who crosses for Alberto Gilardino to seal victory for the Italians - and top spot in Group E. That is Liverpool's worst points tally in Champions League group stage history.

lol

Gina Lollobrigida! ;D

Surely Thomson has just prepared Avril's speech for him today with these comments? Whilst probably not far from the truth, its surely going to fire the arabs up?

Thomson sees no Old Firm contest

Old Firm still clear of rivals - Thomson

Rangers midfielder Kevin Thomson expects the Old Firm to finish well ahead of the chasing pack by the close of the Scottish Premier League season.

"I certainly do think teams have got better in and around the Old Firm," said Thomson.

"And if teams want to talk about challenging that's an incentive for us.

"I'm not going to say that Celtic and Rangers will finish 20-25 points clear of the rest, but I'd be pretty surprised if they're not."

Thomson's former club Hibernian are just four points behind leaders Celtic, while Dundee United are four adrift of second-placed Rangers.

But the 25-year-old was dismissive of a sustained challenge from Tannadice or Easter Road.

"I don't think many people would be betting on any team breaking the Old Firm this year," he added.

"I've been in a situation, at Hibs, when we've had good seasons and the hype goes on 'the Old Firm are in a crisis, blah, blah'."

Rangers can go top of the table if they win their rearranged match at Dundee United on Tuesday.

This season we might find it a fair bit closer than it has been in previous years

"We are eager to get to the top of the league and stay there," added Thompson. "And if we can get a run going and points in front going into the Old Firm game at the start of next year, it would be a psychological boost.

"We want don't want to be chasing. We've been in that situation over the last couple of years and it's tough. It means added pressure going into games."

Like Thomson, Rangers boss Walter Smith has been impressed by Hibs and Dundee United and he is taking greater heed to the threat to the Old Firm's long-established dominance.

"I don't think we'll see that kind of gap," said Smith when asked to comment on Thomson's thoughts.

"This season we might find it a fair bit closer than it has been in previous years.

"I said earlier that the challenge to both Hibs and Dundee United was to keep going and you've got to say that both teams are doing that. They're doing exceptionally well.

"At the weekend, they both got draws and people are saying 'that's it', but that will happen to all the teams.

"If it's going to be tighter, then there will be more points dropped by all the teams."

Kevin Thomson is a horrible little cunt.

Never a truer word spoken.

I had the misfortune of being at the same party as this cunt a couple of years ago. Conceited, arrogant, ignorant little prick.

I think this could be where United start to slide.

I think you may be right. Its traditional for them to blow this period is it not ? Post NY fuck ups left right and centre. I suspect Hamilton will beat them on Saturday and Sir Craig will be crest fallen....again. Its a pity really because, petty hatred aside, we should be looking for anyone who can to break the dominance of the OF to do so. Despite laughing at UTD I did not want to see the huns beat them last night.

I think you may be right. Its traditional for them to blow this period is it not ? Post NY fuck ups left right and centre. I suspect Hamilton will beat them on Saturday and Sir Craig will be crest fallen....again. Its a pity really because, petty hatred aside, we should be looking for anyone who can to break the dominance of the OF to do so. Despite laughing at UTD I did not want to see the huns beat them last night.

Yeah, around Christmas and into the New Year it all starts going south for them. They look a typical Levein side though, if they don't score from a set piece then they're pretty screwed and fairly easy to get the ball in behind them. Makes it all the more frustrating we never took our two exceptional chances against them at Pittodrie when it was 0-0.

However, I'd love to have Bauben and Gomis playing for the Dons. Gomis in particular is a cracking player.

1754: Now, about the idea that this match is meaningless... Scottish teams have performed abysmally in European competition this season and the country's co-efficient has taken a hammering. Celtic need to win to earn the two Uefa co-efficient points that might just keep Scotland ahead of Belgium.

1757: If Belgium's representatives continue to gather points in the Europa League and Champions League, they could move into 15th place in the rankings ahead of Scotland, meaning Scotland's league winners would have to play two or three qualifying rounds the season after next. Celtic v Arsenal again, anyone?

1846: Half-time Rapid Vienna 3-1 Celtic

1848: Sorry if I'm boring you with this co-efficient malarkey, but Anderlecht are winning handsomely at half-time at Ajax. This is not good news for the Scottish Premier League winners in a few years' time.

1849: My colleague Richard Gordon, speaking on Radio Scotland, has informed the listeners that Scottish teams have now conceded 49 goals in European football this season.