Falkirk v Aberdeen

Aberdeen travel to play Falkirk on Saturday. The Bairns have not beaten Aberdeen at Pittodrie since 22.2.1958 (lost 2-1). Aberdeen are yet to lose at Westfield and the last Falkirk win in Falkirk was 5.11.1994. (lost 2-1) However it will be another very difficult game for the Dons.

Jimmy Calderwood also has a few central defensive concerns. The manager spoke to RedTV at lunchtime. "Zander is a doubt. He got stitches in an ankle knock. We have still got two days until the game so we will see how he goes. Also Andrew Considine is suspended after picking up a booking against Kilmarnock. So we could be two central defenders down. Jamie Smith is still not back but everyone else is fit.

Mair in warning to Reds defence

Steve must be silenced if Reds are to win

By Sean Wallace

Published: 30/01/2009

BEWARE the Steve Lovell backlash – that was the warning today from Dons defender Lee Mair.

Former Pittodrie favourite Lovell, who has scored nine goals this season, will lead the Falkirk attack against the Dons tomorrow.

And Mair reckons his old team-mate poses the main threat to the Reds registering another clean sheet and keeping the pressure on in the race for Europe.

He said: “Steve is one player we will have to watch as he is a real threat.

“He has enjoyed a good run of form at Falkirk, and is scoring regularly.

“Aberdeen did well to keep a clean sheet against Rangers last weekend, and we are looking to do the same again at Falkirk.

“But we will have to be on our toes against Steve because he can be dangerous.â€

Lovell managed just five goals for the Dons last season before being axed in the summer.

And Mair reckons rediscovering his goal touch is down to an injury-free run.

“Steve was hampered by injuries at Aberdeen but has now proved his fitness with Falkirk,†he said.

“He has shown that when he gets a run of games and his confidence is high, he gets the goals.

“Steve is strong, very fast and a good finisher, so we must keep him quiet.â€

Aberdeen are just one point behind Dundee United and Hearts in the race for third spot and a Europa League spot.

Aberdeen-born Mair, 28, is desperate to help the Dons back into Europe – via the league.

A potential Euro spot through the UEFA Fair Play League holds no attraction.

But he refused to be drawn on whether he would be at Pittodrie to enjoy any potential Euro adventure next season.

The defender’s contract expires in the summer, and it has been reported Norwich City are keen on him.

Mair refused to discuss his contract situation, although talks are ongoing with Aberdeen.

“We are completely focused on getting into Europe through the league by finishing as high up the table as we can, ideally in third,†he said.

“The next month is massive for Aberdeen because we also play Dundee United and Hearts who are our main rivals for third.

“If we can get good results against them, it will set us up well for the rest of the season.

“At the moment, the UEFA Fair Play league is not in our minds at all.

“We want to reach Europe through our play, which is why beating Falkirk is so important.â€

The Bairns may be languishing near the foot of the table, but Mair insists John Hughes’ side are more than capable of stalling the Dons’ recent good run.

Just two points off the drop zone, he expects Falkirk to battle to the end to avoid another demoralising defeat.

“Falkirk are at the wrong end of the table and will come out fighting because they are so desperate for points,†he said.

“Aberdeen will have to match that level of commitment if we are to get a win.

“It will be a difficult game because even though Falkirk are near the foot of the SPL, John Hughes still believes in playing attacking football.â€

Aberdeen’s fortunes could not be more removed from the last time they visited Falkirk.

Rock bottom of the SPL, a 1-0 win for the Reds on October 18 began their rejuvenation.

Mair is convinced the Bairns are capable of a similar turnaround, but is adamant it will not begin tomorrow.

“We were in a similar situation when Aberdeen went to Falkirk bottom of the SPL,†said the former Bairns defender.

“Scraping a 1-0 win was the start of our good run of form.

“Sometimes that is all that is needed to turn a season around, because a win – no matter how it comes – breeds confidence.

“Falkirk will come good, all they need is one scrappy win to kick-start a run of form.

“But Aberdeen have to ensure it does not come tomorrow.â€

For Mair, an indication of how far the Dons have progressed since that October nightmare is the sense of disappointment they did not beat Rangers last weekend.

“A lot of the fans were disappointed we only drew 0-0 with Rangers, but you have to look at the bigger picture,†he said.

“That result kept our recent unbeaten run going.

“The whole city is buzzing at the moment with Aberdeen’s great run, and long may it continue.

“The new players who came in last summer have gelled now.â€

Diamond offers Falkirk respect

defender insists pressure must be maintained whoever the opposition

By Paul Third

Published: 31/01/2009

NO EASY GAMES: Aberdeen’s Zander Diamond is expecting a difficult game at Falkirk

More Pictures

Zander Diamond insists there can be no drop in concentration for Falkirk today following their recent Old Firm exploits.

The Aberdeen defender and his team-mates head for the Falkirk Stadium today with four points gained from their last two matches against Celtic and Rangers.

The Bairns are struggling in 11th place in the SPL, but having been bottom of the league in their last trip to the stadium, Diamond knows the importance one result can make to a club’s season.

He said: “We need to approach it the same way as we did against Celtic by taking the game to Falkirk straight away.

“There is no point in doing so well against the top two teams in the league then dropping standards against the rest. Personally, I give every other team in the SPL the same respect that I do the Old Firm.

“If you take the foot off the gas and turn up expecting to win, you'll pay the price.

“We were in the same position as Falkirk last time we went there. Because of the international break, we were at the bottom of the league for two weeks.

“John Hughes's teams are always attack-minded and they have players up front capable of hurting us, especially our former team-mate Steve Lovell. We are under no illusions how difficult it will be.â€

Diamond is adamant he will be fit to play despite requiring stitches to close a deep gash in his shin in the goalless draw with Rangers last week.

He said: “It's still tender. I cleared the ball but John Flett's momentum carried him into me. I looked down and saw my sock was ripped. At half time, I discovered there was a massive gash in my leg.

“The wound needed stitched but I don't know how many, I kept my eyes shut. It would have taken more than that to keep me out of a game of that importance.â€

Diamond received praise from his manager this week for rediscovering the form which caught the attention of clubs outwith Pittodrie and he puts his improvement down to his increased experience gained as a player.

He said: “I'm more mature now and it's up to me to maintain consistency and standards. I had a lot of praise when I broke into the team but then it went pear-shaped the next season. Basically, I work hard in training and try to take that into games.â€

Nae fucking about the day.

With united hopefully getting beat by the huns we should be above them when the visit pittodrie in 2 weeks time :thumbsup:

:fingerscrossedsmilie: !

I'm a bit nervous about this today. Will this game be streamed today or is it just being replayed in full on BBC alba?

Jimmy Calderwood makes two changes to the side which beat Celtic and drew with Rangers.

Zander Diamond has failed to make it and Sone Aluko drops to the bench. Lee Mair as expected replaces Zander and Javan Vidal gets his first start.

Team: Langfield, Foster, Severin, Mair, Vidal, Kerr, McDonald, Duff, Mulgrew, Mackie, Miller. Subs Bossu, Young, Aluko, Wright, Paton, Crawford, Maguire.

Jesus fuck.  I know Aluko didn't have a great time last week, but how are Foster and Mackie still in that side? Beggars belief.

They truly are untouchable! That is absolutely ridiculous! Words could not describe how poor Mackie and Foster were last week.

Think it's proof that they are tantamount to bullet proof as far as JC is concerned.

However, let's hope they get their acts together this afternoon.

COME ON YE REDS!!

God this result is just so typically Aberdeen. We have an opportunity to do something and go third what with both Arabs and Farts losing today, and we blow it. Too much paper talk again, I suppose the warning signs were there. But we will bounce back and have a successful February, I'm sure of it... Odd Month January has been. The easiest two games we lost and won/drew the hardest ones.

God this result is just so typically Aberdeen. We have an opportunity to do something and go third what with both Arabs and Farts losing today, and we blow it. Too much paper talk again, I suppose the warning signs were there. But we will bounce back and have a successful February, I'm sure of it... Odd Month January has been. The easiest two games we lost and won/drew the hardest ones.

A mate of mine text me earlier today while the Man City game was on, he said "Man City must be the most frustrating side in the world". I replied saying "Try being an Aberdeen fan."  Unfortunately, today has proven me right. 

Anyway, excuse me, I've got a wall I have to get back to headering...

:( aye if i was a bettin man would have put on dons to lose today how many times have we seen it cant seem to raise game for inferior opposition been like this for a long time pisses me off 3pts v falkirk just as important as 3pts against celtic or rangers missed chance to go third today expect them to be there in may but why do they have to it the hard way?

A mate of mine text me earlier today while the Man City game was on, he said "Man City must be the most frustrating side in the world". I replied saying "Try being an Aberdeen fan."  Unfortunately, today has proven me right. 

Anyway, excuse me, I've got a wall I have to get back to headering...

Aye I think we take the biscuit on that one! Despite how shite shity are ;)

Just had a read of KKK, was quite amusing as ever, however, as one poster said, there is actually a silver lining to this defeat, we're better off than we were at the start of the day. I didn't believe it to begin with, but he's correct. Jutes and Yams lost by two, we only lost by one.....