Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

What Have You Been Watching on TV?

Kowalski

Not TV but this was all on TV at some point. After randomly listening to a Corries song about the battle of Stirling Brig I realised that I didn't know anything about said battle. Or Scottish history in general. I watched a wee documentary on it from YouTube which I found fascinating. Now I share it with my fellow DTers. Although I expect this stuff isn't as new to many of you as it was to me. It's in 3 parts and the song I alluded to by the Corries first.  :thumbsup:

'The Secrets Of Sports Direct'  - Harry Wallop investigates.

There's a face I'd like to punch - Mike Ashley.

What a bunch of shitehooses  - 5,000 workers (not called employees , except for the elite 300) , 4,700 on zero hours contracts.

Found the exact same!

It does get better, but the 1st season of breaking bad was slow. They are setting it up just nicely for the 2nd season and I think it will be like BB in that it will get grimier and darker. The similarities are there. Both had humour in the first season, with the 'butter wouldn't melt' characters and then as time went on it got darker and the characters developed into who we came to love. Hopefully that's where it is going.

I highly recommend Daredevil if no one has watched it yet. Its a Marvel adaption and its a superhero as you would expect, but its quite dark and gory and I was very surprised at how good it was. 9/10 for me !!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I know you're all watching the Libertines at Reading on BBC4 just now.

Can I recommend the programme that preceded this?

You can go to hell, I'm going to Texas by Rich Hall.

I know that it wouldn't appeal to 95% of the population.

But I'm a perennial optimist.

It was uplifting for the precision of its social observation.

And Rich Hall is sheer class.

It will be iplayerable.

• 3 weeks later...

Cradle to the grave on bbc2, excellent comedy with Peter kay

My immediate response would normally be that Kay and comedy are mutually exclusive. I really don't like the man.

But for someone who likes Rich Hall to also like Peter Kay is interesting, particularly when I love one as much as I despise the other. This inevitably leads to analysis, introspection and examination.

Not that this is a paradoxical dichotomy. John Lydon espouses individuality and says that no two people have ever been the same throughout history and never will be. The context was in relation to fashion trends and lamenting imitators, persons banging out formulaic "art" rather than coming from their own expression so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that 1 can like X and Y whereas 2 also likes X but hates Y. But there will be reasons for the divergence.

Kay and Hall are both successful, intelligent performers. But where Hall is acerbic, honest and presents truth, Kay presents to appeal to the lowest common denominator and disguises his intelligent manipulative agenda, thereby keeping himself, his true nature in the background. He knows what people like and he gives it to them, all wrapped up in a cheeky chappie fat northern bastard persona, knowing full well that his appeal is to these "normal" people, mostly thick cunts who like their comedy simple and base.

In this respect, Kay is dishonest. He uses his formula to make money and would rarely be capable of great insight. Where John Lydon and Rich Hall are unable to disguise themselves, Kay wears a mask. It is this alone that switches him off for me and the only reason I can't deal with the cunt nor anything he has to say.

My immediate response would normally be that Kay and comedy are mutually exclusive. I really don't like the man.

But for someone who likes Rich Hall to also like Peter Kay is interesting, particularly when I love one as much as I despise the other. This inevitably leads to analysis, introspection and examination.

Not that this is a paradoxical dichotomy. John Lydon espouses individuality and says that no two people have ever been the same throughout history and never will be. The context was in relation to fashion trends and lamenting imitators, persons banging out formulaic "art" rather than coming from their own expression so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that 1 can like X and Y whereas 2 also likes X but hates Y. But there will be reasons for the divergence.

Kay and Hall are both successful, intelligent performers. But where Hall is acerbic, honest and presents truth, Kay presents to appeal to the lowest common denominator and disguises his intelligent manipulative agenda, thereby keeping himself, his true nature in the background. He knows what people like and he gives it to them, all wrapped up in a cheeky chappie fat northern bastard persona, knowing full well that his appeal is to these "normal" people, mostly thick cunts who like their comedy simple and base.

In this respect, Kay is dishonest. He uses his formula to make money and would rarely be capable of great insight. Where John Lydon and Rich Hall are unable to disguise themselves, Kay wears a mask. It is this alone that switches him off for me and the only reason I can't deal with the cunt nor anything he has to say.

Phoenix Nights was brilliant.

Fair enough Rocket, I can see your point but I've always liked Kay.  Especially in Phoenix Nights and Max and Paddy!  Maybe that's because I lived in the North West of England for a while.

Phoenix Nights was brilliant but Dave Spikey was the real genius behind that.  I don't mind Peter Kay, he's had his moments.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I watched the first episode but not sure I'll be watching anymore, it was extremely grim. Possibly wasn't in the right mind set for it, right enough.

Started watching another drama about Escobar. Have watched all of Narcos and then a different series popped up on Netflix. Will give it a go, first episode seemed decent enough.