Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

What Have You Been Watching on TV?

Kowalski

Yeah but surely the judge has the option to send her for further observation. Not sure when the trial was, but I think it said 3 or 4 months later, then how can they determine the issue wasn't long term? Surely the fact that at the time of the crime she was psychotic allows the judge the right to send her for longer term observation in a secure mental unit?

The whole point was this was a legal precident. the first time that someone committed a crime whilst technically insane but declared cured before the case went to trial. Under english law the judge could only send her to a secure hospital if at the end of the trial she was still class as insane and a danger to herself or to the public. In this case she was declared sane so the secure hosptial option was out and he doesnt have the power to call for further supervision(her condition was apparenlty a temporary one according to the phychiatrists) However he also couldnt give her the full sentance for manslaughter because when it happened she had been declared mentally unstable. Had he sent her to jail for the maximum term the defence would have had her out on appeal in a matter of months. His hands were tied because he couldnt let her go free but also couldnt give her the sentence the crime warranted. I think the only reason he could give her 5 years was because both the prosecution and defence accepted it.

Tis one of those situations in which they have to re-write the law books incase it happens again

The whole point was this was a legal precident. the first time that someone committed a crime whilst technically insane but declared cured before the case went to trial. Under english law the judge could only send her to a secure hospital if at the end of the trial she was still class as insane and a danger to herself or to the public. In this case she was declared sane so the secure hosptial option was out and he doesnt have the power to call for further supervision(her condition was apparenlty a temporary one according to the phychiatrists) However he also couldnt give her the full sentance for manslaughter because when it happened she had been declared mentally unstable. Had he sent her to jail for the maximum term the defence would have had her out on appeal in a matter of months. His hands were tied because he couldnt let her go free but also couldnt give her the sentence the crime warranted. I think the only reason he could give her 5 years was because both the prosecution and defence accepted it.

Tis one of those situations in which they have to re-write the law books incase it happens again

What would further investigation reveal though? That she was psychotic and that her illness was cyclical? It is such a grey area that the law will struggle to cover to everyone's satisfaction.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched the last instalment of Secret Britain on BBC HD, West Coast looked absolutely stunning. It's been a really good series but I don't think they could possibly do the country justice in just 4 episodes.

I demand more of this. Good work BBC fellas.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

This is England 86.  Bit of a slow start last week, hopefully it picks up this week.

Film was excellent, so its good they've done a TV follow up with the same cast.

Aye watched that looking forward to tonight's, hopefully the first episode was just reintroducing the characters and scene setting because if it hadn't been for the fact that I enjoyed the film the last 15 minutes or so would have had me reaching for the remote.

Also The In-betweeners last night, had me in stitches, as usual.

Aye watched that looking forward to tonight's, hopefully the first episode was just reintroducing the characters and scene setting because if it hadn't been for the fact that I enjoyed the film the last 15 minutes or so would have had me reaching for the remote.

Also The In-betweeners last night, had me in stitches, as usual.

Agree on both. :thumbsup:

Second episode was still a bit slow for me.  They are clearly building up to some sort of return from Combo, but the series doesn't have the edginess of the film thus far.

Plus, Shaun is quite a dislikable character now.  Sleeping rough just cause his mother is getting some action!? WTF.

Really not sure what to make of that. Is this what TV has come to? Do we really need to pander to the lowest common denominator? Why would you have to actually show, acting or not, a rape. It was fairly obvious that Lol's dad was a nasty cunt capable of sexually deviant behaviour. So surely the suggestion that something has been done is enough to carry the storyline?

Maybe I'm pissed and now angry, maybe I'm getting over-sensitive with my age, but that final scene stinks of desperation to shock. I'm now left with a dilemma; Follow my immediate reaction and not watch the final episode out of disappointment over what a promising British film maker has been reduced too and in effect pander to the opinions of outraged middle class parents, of which I'm one (allegedly). OR watch it in the vain hope that Meadows can pull the vanity project that this has been, out of the proverbial ashes in the final episode?

Really not sure what to make of that. Is this what TV has come to? Do we really need to pander to the lowest common denominator? Why would you have to actually show, acting or not, a rape. It was fairly obvious that Lol's dad was a nasty cunt capable of sexually deviant behaviour. So surely the suggestion that something has been done is enough to carry the storyline?

Maybe I'm pissed and now angry, maybe I'm getting over-sensitive with my age, but that final scene stinks of desperation to shock. I'm now left with a dilemma; Follow my immediate reaction and not watch the final episode out of disappointment over what a promising British film maker has been reduced too and in effect pander to the opinions of outraged middle class parents, of which I'm one (allegedly). OR watch it in the vain hope that Meadows can pull the vanity project that this has been, out of the proverbial ashes in the final episode?

I think it's fantastic. It's moved at exactly the right pace, it's shot brilliantly, well scripted, and in Gadget it has one of the best characters I've seen in British TV for years.

gadgetg.jpg

:thumbsup:

Maybe I'm pissed and now angry, maybe I'm getting over-sensitive with my age, but that final scene stinks of desperation to shock.

It was pretty rough going like.  I reckon the shock comes from the fact that not much had happened in the series up to that point, and I wondered if it was in fact going anywhere at all - like you say seemed like a vanity project, but probably more likely one for C4 than Meadows himself.  Personally unsure that the improv style has translated well to TV (so far) - the slow pace of the first two episodes will probably have seen many people switch off, maybe a film sequel might have been better, but I do suspect that Combo's return will probably signify a pretty good final episode next week.

TV on the whole is not bad this week.  Return of Spooks on Monday, going to give this Seven Days a look tonight and then An Idiot Abroad with Karl Pilkington on Thursday.

It was pretty rough going like.  I reckon the shock comes from the fact that not much had happened in the series up to that point, and I wondered if it was in fact going anywhere at all - like you say seemed like a vanity project, but probably more likely one for C4 than Meadows himself.  Personally unsure that the improv style has translated well to TV (so far) - the slow pace of the first two episodes will probably have seen many people switch off, maybe a film sequel might have been better, but I do suspect that Combo's return will probably signify a pretty good final episode next week.

TV on the whole is not bad this week.  Return of Spooks on Monday, going to give this Seven Days a look tonight and then An Idiot Abroad with Karl Pilkington on Thursday.

I think the scene in question was done that way so you could see exactly why Lol was so disgusted at her father being back in the house. I don't think it was really that graphic to be honest, I'm sure I've seen worse. I'm really enjoying the pace of it, it's a nice slow build up to what should hopefully be a really good finale, especially now that combo's back on the scene. Stephen Graham is a fucking superb actor (Damned United aside where he was utterly abysmal) and he always adds a real bit of edge to most things he's in.

A film sequel may have been good but I get the impression Meadows had way too much he wanted to say about the characters and couldn't say it in the course of a two hour feature. A lot of these things start out as features and end up like this actually, it's not uncommon. I'm sure Low Winter Sun (If you haven't seen it, do so) was originally meant to be a feature but was split into two parts for TV as there was just too much that they felt they couldn't drop.

Is An Idiot Abroad on normal Sky channels or is it only Sky HD?

Is that basically a programme about some guy who Ricky Gervais takes the piss out of while laughing at a stupidly high pitch?  If it's anything like that cartoon thing that was on channel 4 it will be horrendous.

I couldn't make my mind up if I want to watch that. I think its on the normal sky channels Padre, but don't hold me to that!

Watched Spooks yesterday lunch time. Awesome stuff, this series looks like its going to be another gooden, nice ending!