Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

šŸ† Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

What Have You Been Watching on TV?

Kowalski

I couldn't make my mind up if I want to watch that. I think its on the normal sky channels Padre, but don't hold me to that!

Ā 

Watched Spooks yesterday lunch time. Awesome stuff, this series looks like its going to be another gooden, nice ending!

Ā 

Never ever watched it but heard good things about it. How many series in is it?

Is that basically a programme about some guy who Ricky Gervais takes the piss out of while laughing at a stupidly high pitch?Ā  If it's anything like that cartoon thing that was on channel 4 it will be horrendous.

Ā 

Completely concur.

Ā 

As far as This Is England is concerned I think it has been excellent and the utter horror of the rape was probably in context to demonstrate just how much of a cunt the dad was and just how harrowing Lol's existence was, I don't see how it "panders" at all.Ā 

Spooks in series 9 now.Ā  It had been in danger of falling off a cliff at the end of series 6 until the introduction of Richard Armitage's character and since then it's gone a bit Robert Ludlum, a bit darker, which in my opinion is a good thing.

Ā 

Speaking of Armitage, I was quite disappointed with Strikeback which was on Sky One a couple of months back.Ā  Had a pretty good cast but something was really lacking - maybe the direction and production, but then do Sky really do good original programming?

Spooks in series 9 now.Ā  It had been in danger of falling off a cliff at the end of series 6 until the introduction of Richard Armitage's character and since then it's gone a bit Robert Ludlum, a bit darker, which in my opinion is a good thing.

Ā 

Speaking of Armitage, I was quite disappointed with Strikeback which was on Sky One a couple of months back.Ā  Had a pretty good cast but something was really lacking - maybe the direction and production, but then do Sky really do good original programming?

Ā 

FX is the best channel for me. The Wire, Dexter, True Blood, Breaking Bad and loads of other incredibly good shows.

Ricky Gervaise is shite, I saw the advert for that new program and figured it was an attempt to foist another one of his mates on to us.

Ā 

Maybe I was/am being over sensitive, what I meant by pandering was the need to show it and have the sound playing while cutting away to other scenes. It was fairly obvious, to me anyway, that the Dad was a nasty cunt. It was fairly obvious from when he let Trev in what was going to happen, it was even more obvious when he started trying to pull her clothes off, and it would have been very obvious if they had just shown the aftermath. It was the "oh dear you're not very wet" pumping away with his arse out left me feeling a bit "OK I've got it, no need for that". The only logical reason I could see for showing it was to make everyone aware of what he was capable of, even those without imagination. Although that is obviously not the consensus of opinion, so I'm probably wrong.

Ā 

I would assume now the retribution will be redemption for Combo although that, perhaps is a touch too obvious a route for Meadows to take.

Ā 

On a side note, I read an article somewhere that he hoped to do another mini-series in a few years and flash forward another 4 years to the 1990 World Cup.

Ricky Gervaise is shite, I saw the advert for that new program and figured it was an attempt to foist another one of his mates on to us.

Ā 

Maybe I was/am being over sensitive, what I meant by pandering was the need to show it and have the sound playing while cutting away to other scenes. It was fairly obvious, to me anyway, that the Dad was a nasty cunt. It was fairly obvious from when he let Trev in what was going to happen, it was even more obvious when he started trying to pull her clothes off, and it would have been very obvious if they had just shown the aftermath. It was the "oh dear you're not very wet" pumping away with his arse out left me feeling a bit "OK I've got it, no need for that". The only logical reason I could see for showing it was to make everyone aware of what he was capable of, even those without imagination. Although that is obviously not the consensus of opinion, so I'm probably wrong.

Ā 

I would assume now the retribution will be redemption for Combo although that, perhaps is a touch too obvious a route for Meadows to take.

Ā 

On a side note, I read an article somewhere that he hoped to do another mini-series in a few years and flash forward another 4 years to the 1990 World Cup.

Ā 

As my pal keeps saying "it's better than any other shite that's on" which is true. And while I didn't think the rape scene was OTT at all, the 3 episodes so far have been good in places but not as good as I expected. The film tackled massive issues that were relevant to the specific period of time and related to issues that have reemerged this decade also, but nothing about the series means it needs to be set in 86. Rape, abusive fathers, love triangles, teenage sons not liking their mammies being bummed, aren't exactly time-specific.

Ā 

My main disappointment is they keep referring to the politics of the time, but where is the comparrison with 'England' 2010, or predictions of what it will be like in 2011, 2012 etc. The only mention of work problems is Woody having a shit job that's turning him into a nobend. The social commentary lacks a wider context basically so whereas the film was important, the series so far is nothing more than entertainment.

I don't think it needs to be looking forward. You're seeing 1986 through the eyes of a group of young people who were living through that period. They aren't thinking about what it's like in 24 years time, and none of them are particularly political. You wouldn't watch a period drama like Lark Rise and think about what the implications of peoples actions in that time period would have in 20 odd years time, and I think it's the same with T.I.E 86'.

When the film came out I remember a screening/question & answer session with cast and crew which centred largely on how the NF problem was reemerging in the form of the BNP and that got the film a lot of attention and credit for its relevance. I assumed the series was going to be similar to an extent in terms of unemployment or something else that makes the 80s relevant to today's climate, rather than just latching onto the 80s being fashionable for retrospection now. I suppose I'm judging it too much in terms of the extremely high standards the film set.

Ā 

I am enjoying it though and I do like lots of the characters, especially ...

Ā 

35ji3hc.jpg

Ā 

yummy!

Ā 

Ā 

Having made the mistake of reading this thread the night before I got a chance to watch this week's This is England 86, I was expecting a fairly tough going rape scene but I didn't think it was that bad (nowhere near anything out of Death Wish!) but I admittedly I was already aware of what was going to happen.

Ā 

I reckon the shock comes from the fact that not much had happened in the series up to that point, and I wondered if it was in fact going anywhere at all

Ā 

I agree, I suppose there was the shock factor because I think it's been dull up to that point.Ā  Just hope it picks up now that Combo is back.

And that "punch up" in the park was one of the worst rammys I've ever seen.Ā  It was like a playgroup school fight.

Ā 

I think it's fantastic. It's moved at exactly the right pace, it's shot brilliantly, well scripted, and in Gadget it has one of the best characters I've seen in British TV for years.

Ā 

gadgetg.jpg

Ā 

:thumbsup:

Ā 

WTF is so good about Gadget?Ā  I think he's a fud.

Ā 

Ā 

IMHO The Office is the greatest sitcom of the last 20 years.Ā  And Extras was superb too.

His stand up is shite though.

I like Karl Pilkington, I thought the podcasts were very good.Ā  The combination of Merchants wit, Pilkington's inane ramblings, and Gervais's infectious laugh made for a great show.

Ā 

I'mĀ  looking forward to An Idiot Abroad tonight.

Ā 

IMHO The Office is the greatest sitcom of the last 20 years.Ā  And Extras was superb too.

His stand up is shite though.

I like Karl Pilkington, I thought the podcasts were very good.Ā  The combination of Merchants wit, Pilkington's inane ramblings, and Gervais's infectious laugh made for a great show.

Ā 

I'mĀ  looking forward to An Idiot Abroad tonight.

Ā 

I loved the Office too, but when I watched that thing on Channel 4 it just came across to me as him bullying one of his mates because he's daft and making money out of it (i know his mate went along with it etc). If i wanted to watch someone get that much of a ripping I'd just watch repeats of Gervais meets Garry Shandling...

I loved the Office too, but when I watched that thing on Channel 4 it just came across to me as him bullying one of his mates because he's daft and making money out of it (i know his mate went along with it etc). If i wanted to watch someone get that much of a ripping I'd just watch repeats of Gervais meets Garry Shandling...

Ā 

:thumbsup:

Can't quite decide what to make of This Is England 86.Ā  It was okay, but pretty slow stuff over four episodes.Ā  Another violent scene in tonight's final episode.

Ā 

I think they should have just perhaps left it at the film though!

Ā 

But at least we got a reminder of the Hand of God!Ā  :thumbsup:

Just got round to watching the final episode tonight after being at Cheltenham - Poxford on Tuesday night. Have to say that last episode completely redeemed the series. Brilliant. Looking forward to '90 now!

Ā 

I'm going to assume Combo had such a small part due to filming Boardwalk Empire?

I'm giving spooks a chance for the first time in a few years since so many of you lot have been raving about it. Liked it yonks ago but it went a bit kack. Not bad so far but the main thing that bugs me about shows like this is them getting Kirsty Wark or whoever to do an 'authentic' Newsnight piece in the storyline. It's self-promotion for another of the channel's show and it's taking a job away from a real actor.

Ā 

Bectu should be on the fuckers!