Saturday 14th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Aberdeen v Motherwell

x

Jagerdeen

Don't think we did enough to win that game, and ultimately can count ourselves really lucky to get a point out of it.

Particularily disappointed that we're playing against a keeper low in confidence after conceding seven goals, on a pitch that is really wet and the ball is going to skid off, that we don't take the opportunity to test him every chance we get. Should have been firing them in low from all over the place, but not us ::)

Hard to believe I've ever celebrated a goal against St Midden as much as last night, and it was still only for a draw !

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highlights are up.

I didn't realise that wright was so far out when he headed it.

I thought it was a fantastic header, and I actually think Wright did fairly well for us overall.

I think we can consider ourselves unfortunate not to have won. But for some bad luck and downright awful finishing we should have went in front. And yet again we have the "Zander Diamond Narcolepsy Show" ably backed up by Lee Mair. Our defence is fucking killing us.

Totally agree with this.  I do think we should have won, considering some of the openings we created - Miller hitting the post, the chance right at the start of the 2nd half, Mackie's miss from 3 yards (which i'd have to see again but looked awful from where we were), Aluko's lovely touch and then shot across the keeper that just went past. 

But, I suppose, if you defend as we did for their goal, then you probably don't deserve to win.  There were a few positives, the performances of Kerr and Aluko were good, Maguire had some good moments (and some not so good) and Wright did well for us too in patches.

Charlie Mulgrew... the word "brainless" comes to mind. He was getting pulled inside too much when he should have been passing his man on to either Kerr or Mair, and then his distribution was hideous. Severin had a right go at him, but how can a pro footballer not work out that on a night like last night the ball has to go to feet?

The main concern I had last night was that every player in red looked short of confidence and self belief. Nobody was putting a foot on the ball, too many players were lost in terms of positioning, particularly Vidal. It was not clear what th eset up was, were we playing 3 or 4 at the back ? I still don't know. Maguire seemd to be in the FB position for most of the first half. Everytime Maguire was set up to shoot you could feel the tension in the crowd and people were so quick to get on him and Mackies back.

With that lack of self belief we look very nervy and very disorganised from front to back. We really have to get that sorted for Saturday and my big fear is that this game is huge for us as everyone wants a cup win. I hope to fuck theh players can deal with that pressure becuase last night they look like, collectivley, they couldn't.

The main concern I had last night was that every player in red looked short of confidence and self belief. Nobody was putting a foot on the ball, too many players were lost in terms of positioning, particularly Vidal. It was not clear what th eset up was, were we playing 3 or 4 at the back ? I still don't know. Maguire seemd to be in the FB position for most of the first half. Everytime Maguire was set up to shoot you could feel the tension in the crowd and people were so quick to get on him and Mackies back.

With that lack of self belief we look very nervy and very disorganised from front to back. We really have to get that sorted for Saturday and my big fear is that this game is huge for us as everyone wants a cup win. I hope to fuck theh players can deal with that pressure becuase last night they look like, collectivley, they couldn't.

You're right in everything you say there, but what I would say about the two shots from Maguire (that I remember) is that in both instances shooting was clearly the wrong option.  The first one, had it gone in, would have rivalled Marco van Basten's Euro 88 goal. The second, he had three defenders in front of him and he tried to hit it on the half volley from 20 yards. There was no chance of either ever getting near the target never mind troubling the keeper.  It could be argued that too much self belief undone him and us in those instances.  I thought Maguire did ok last night, but he has to appreciate he's not playing down the park with his mates.  A bit more thought and composure is required at this level.

You're right in everything you say there, but what I would say about the two shots from Maguire (that I remember) is that in both instances shooting was clearly the wrong option.  The first one, had it gone in, would have rivalled Marco van Basten's Euro 88 goal. The second, he had three defenders in front of him and he tried to hit it on the half volley from 20 yards. There was no chance of either ever getting near the target never mind troubling the keeper.  It could be argued that too much self belief undone him and us in those instances.  I thought Maguire did ok last night, but he has to appreciate he's not playing down the park with his mates.  A bit more thought and composure is required at this level.

I agree. I think Maguire was overly keen to be the hero in the second half, he is clearly trying to impress JC and knows he is running out of chances. In fact, quite a few players were almost trying too hard last night, Seve was trying to run everything and so not doing anything particularly well. Even aluko was running across field, as well as up and down to chase everything and as a result looked like he was being stretched too much. When Jamie Smith came on the game changed for me. He started to pull the game out a bit in the final third and it left Aluko with a bit more space. When Aluko is our only creatuve option then teams can snuff it out easily by putting men on him. With Smith on the field it makes it harder to do that. I hope we have the balls to play them both on saturday and pull Dunfermlines plodding back line all over the shop.

I agree. I think Maguire was overly keen to be the hero in the second half, he is clearly trying to impress JC and knows he is running out of chances. In fact, quite a few players were almost trying too hard last night, Seve was trying to run everything and so not doing anything particularly well. Even aluko was running across field, as well as up and down to chase everything and as a result looked like he was being stretched too much. When Jamie Smith came on the game changed for me. He started to pull the game out a bit in the final third and it left Aluko with a bit more space. When Aluko is our only creatuve option then teams can snuff it out easily by putting men on him. With Smith on the field it makes it harder to do that. I hope we have the balls to play them both on saturday and pull Dunfermlines plodding back line all over the shop.

Compltely agree with that. I thought Maguire played one of the best games i've personally seen him play (not saying much really), but I will say this, I was glad to see him shooting because by fuck, our team seemed scared to shoot and invariably took the wrong option (passing it out wide) when it was easier to shoot. Hell even Maguire did that once when it looked like the defenders had parted for him. Aluko ran his socks off and seemed to cover every blade of grass at times. It was great to see J. Smith back on the pitch and as AJJA said, seemed to pull the play out his way a bit more opening up the game that bit more. I didn't recall Miller hitting the post? The only opportunity I saw that hit the post was rulled off for offside I thought? Anyway, Wright provided me with the only two real moments of entertainment the whole game. chasing after the ball to put pressure on the keeper and taking one in the face when the keeper was by the by line and then obviously the fantastic finish for the header. I thought he did quite a bit when he came on and certainly gave the St. Mirren defenders (both of them who were marking him) and thing to think about. Hopefully this will be the first of many goals for him and moreover, hopefully the players will take what positives can be taken from this performance,.I mean lets face it, midweek game in rain/sleet/snow isn't the best, but at least we didn't lose, though I feel our push for third is now all but finished. I do have big worries about Saturday :-\

Diamond and Mulgrew need dropped for Saturday or we'll be lucky to get a draw.

Move Severin back to CB as he's been shite in midfield since me moved back and have Considine at left back if fit, Foster if not. Duff and Kerr centre mid.

We're gonna run out of folk to drop "for being pish" if we're not careful  :-[

I agree with this but I think Mulgrew definitely needs to be dropped. He has been horrendous of late and needs a rocket up the arse because he is more of a hinderence than a asset at the moment.

Reds rust in this Meccano stadium

By Chris Crightoneditor of Dons fanzine The Red Final

Published: 04/03/2009

TICKING off a brand new ground on your tour of Scottish football tends to be a fairly disappointing experience.

For every Great Pyramid of Giza there are a hundred St Nicholas Houses. But, as modern Meccano stadiums go, this isn’t too bad.

At least its black-and-white stripe-effect seating makes it uniquely St Mirren for a reason other than being home cage to Paisley Panda – a somewhat knowing pick of mascot for a team that struggles to score.

But on a the best pitch currently available in the SPL, Aberdeen chose to abandon all thoughts of passing and resort take to aimlessly bashing the ball through to Buddies keeper Chris Smith in as few touches as possible. Surely that cannot have been the gameplan. But if it was, it is hard not to side with Richard Foster in his recent battle of brains with the management team.

Foster's exile continued into a third game and, whatever his merits as a footballer, the longer he is electively not considered for selection the more Jimmy Calderwood risks coming across as truculent and churlish.

He has already displayed plenty of such traits in his dealings with other players and that is not the sort of relationship any workman should have with his tools.

Aberdeen’s tools were unable to dig victory out of this mire of a match and it says everything about the Reds' puzzling approach that it took the introduction of blunt instrument Tommy Wright to add any sort of excitement to their attacking play, again undermined by Darren Mackie.

Jim Hamilton has probably changed his mind about not being scared of Celtic but he's unlikely to be frightened of the Dons.

englishman’s goal provides a share, but reds so frustrated

Wright man dons Miller mantle as Lee is hurt

By michael Gannon

Published: 04/03/2009

Aberdeen forward Tommy Wright grabbed a dramatic stoppage-time equaliser to salvage a precious point for the Dons at St Mirren last night – and then vowed to step into the void left by the injured Lee Miller.

The Dons looked dead and buried after former Caley Thistle forward Craig Dargo pounced on a defensive mistake from Zander Diamond with 13 minutes remaining. But Wright, who replaced the injured Miller in the first half, brilliantly headed home Sone Aluko's cross to rescue a point.

Miller is now facing at least a fortnight on the sidelines and he is also a doubt for Scotland's World Cup qualifying double-header at the end of the month with a hamstring strain.

Wright insists he is ready to take up the mantle. He said: “Everyone feels disappointed for Lee Miller. He is a big player for us and I wish him all the best. Hopefully, he will be fit for the weekend but if not I am ready to fill his boots.

“I think I took my chance reasonably well. The goal will give me a lot of confidence. I have now scored three goals in three games after scoring against East Fife and for the reserves last week, so, hopefully, this purple patch can continue.â€

While Wright was delighted to score his first SPL goal, he insisted his overall feeling was one of frustration the Dons had failed to collect maximum points.

The Dons have now slipped three points behind fourth-placed Dundee United following the Arabs' 1-0 victory at Falkirk last night and third-top Hearts can move eight points ahead if they can claim maximum points against Motherwell tonight.

Wright said: “We are disappointed with the result. We feel as though we have let the supporters down.

“One point is better than nothing I suppose but I see it as two points dropped.

“We wanted to catch up with the teams above us, so the main feeling is of disappointment. The manager was frustrated afterwards.

“It was nice personally to score, but the result left a sour taste in our mouths."

St Mirren manager Gus MacPherson was left downhearted following the late leveller and he also had a grievance. The fourth official was unable to locate the electronic board to signal for a late substitution meaning he could not make a switch before the goal.

He said: “It was bitterly disappointing after getting into the position we were in. It felt like a defeat.â€

Guest ally s

Diamond and Mulgrew need dropped for Saturday or we'll be lucky to get a draw.

Move Severin back to CB as he's been shite in midfield since me moved back and have Considine at left back if fit, Foster if not. Duff and Kerr centre mid.

I'd definitely move Seve back into cb, he and Diamond seem to have a sound understanding of each others game.

I'd like to see Smith moved into centre mid along with Kerr, I reckon that's the creative spark/directness we've been missing since McDonald got injured.

Something myself and FJ were discussing last night at the game, did anyone else notice how awkward and cumbersome Wright is when winning headers ? Of course, his goal was an exception but it really made Miller look good in terms of flick ons and general arial control. He is more the JCB variety of striker but maybe thats what we require at present.

I didn't recall Miller hitting the post? The only opportunity I saw that hit the post was rulled off for offside I thought?

Correct, however none of the reports I have read in the papers/redweb have mentioned the offside bit.

I didn't realise he was offside at the time. Probably cos me head was in my hands as i thought "how the fuck did you miss that?"

BBC highlights certainly didn't mention it being offside but we certainly thought so last night. The highlights actually looked ok, Wrights header looked even more impressive. I think the keeper flapping infront of Miller was probably why he didn't get it on target, though a striker should always anticipate that.

Are the two of you sure it wasn't a goal kick the linesman was flagging for...?  ;)

Don't recall any offside flag.

Maguire, as has been said was up and down but was utterly hampered in the first half as he had to come back to cover all the time at RB as Vidal and sat off his man or just plain didn't bother his arse closing him down and when Maguire had the ball up front had no cunt (ie Vidal) making any kind of run forward to overlap.

He did have a decent curling shot on target on the second half but some of the other attempts were embarrassing at best but he is most definitely trying like fuck.

Mulgrew's effectiveness and value offensively is beginning to be completely overshadowed by his seeming lack of awareness (and ability to bin cunts) at the back. This did improve somewhat in the second half but the goal came from his side of the park and of course from some really powder puff defending from Mair and Zander yet again with the electric reactions of a tectonic plate.

I agree with Ajja about Seve, trying like fuck to do everything, really hard working but as a result, overstretched and ultimately ineffectual. 

Just watched the highlights, fucking excellent header from the big chap.  :headbanger:

The boy is a tank, charging down a clearance by the keeper like did "rubgay stylee".

He may well be, as Ajja says, just what we need right now.

A problem a few of us noticed last night was the inability of the other strikers to anticipate a knock down or flick on. All of them seemed to "go with the ball". I used to be quite critical of Miller as his flick ons were fairly misdirected and such but that aspect of his game has improved a great deal, much more intelligent. However he Mackie and Maguire don't seem to have the necessary to find the space he puts the ball into. Smith may well be the man for that.  :thumbsup:

Now, all we have to do is get them both fit.  ;)

I'd bin the whole back line

Unfortunately the replacement are probably not much better.  I'd certainly bin Mulgrew and Vidal now, there must be better in the side.  We badly miss McDonald and probably could do with JDV.  Hopefully Smith gets fit and stays fit, it could be the difference between a decent season and a shit one, as that's two games in row he has changed he has changed the pattern of the game.

Whatever our current run is pathetic and if it continues we'll be lucky to be top6 never mind 3rd or 4th.  Too many mediocre players not performing, if they play as well as they can europe through the league is possible but the need to be at the top of their games, anything less won't be enough.

Great goal from Wright to silence those loathsome Paisley wankers

The whole 5 of them in that little corner.

Nice Stadium. Pitch would of been at its best if it was dry, pity I couldnt say that about the team. How the ball didnt go in for Millers header I dont know and how Mackie, as bad as he is a times, missed that sitter in the 2nd half is beyond me. Hopefully Gary McDonald is back sooner rather than later, didnt think I would of said that after the first couple of months at the start of the season

Was it on TV? I had phoned my dad asking if it was BBC Alba but he had said no and I dont think he was looking right knowing him

Having viewed the highlights I have two more points to add.

1. I may be imagining it (or trying hard to defend him) but the way the ball bounced off the turf just before Diamond went for contact at their goal looked unusual.  :-\

2. Tommy Wrights header was pretty woeful. He bent under the ball and it came off the top of his head. I'd be stretching it if I agreed it was a great goal but a most welcome one  :thumbsup:

Having viewed the highlights I have two more points to add.

1. I may be imagining it (or trying hard to defend him) but the way the ball bounced off the turf just before Diamond went for contact at their goal looked unusual.  :-\

Unnecessarily generous

2. Tommy Wrights header was pretty woeful. He bent under the ball and it came off the top of his head. I'd be stretching it if I agreed it was a great goal but a most welcome one  :thumbsup:

Similarly harsh