Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

EE: Aberdeen FC have to stay united

Kowalski

I don't know a single Dons fan who wants our club to be run like Hearts or expects us to sign £1 million players so instead of answering to criticisms that were never made in the first place, why doesn't he respond to the legitimate questions like why he gave Calderwood a 3 year contract extension and why players like Bertrand Bossu and Dave Bus are allowed to be signed?

That was the Supporter's Trust that mentioned Hearts.  Christ knows why.

And, I suspect Calderwood got a 3 year contract on the back of the UEFA cup run (rightly or wrongly).

If we'd lost to Celtic in the quarters, then they had beat QotS - We'd have been in Europe too... but if yer uncle had a fanny he'd be yer auntie!  ;D

But then Hibs would have had something to play for, and we'd have been unlikely to take 4th, however it's all just swings and roundabouts...

If WM was to come out in the press and give his manager anything other than support while he is still in charge of Aberdeen FC I would be embarrassed and it would certainly be unprofessional. The same goes for the players. Equally well while JC is still in charge - and as it seems he will be until the end of the season - we should be united. As pointed out 3rd is not an impossibility, but by some of the reactions I have seen/heard recently some people would be happier if we missed top 6 so we'd have an excuse to sack Jimmy!

I certainly agree that the whole club should be united in the effort to aim for 3rd place, and at very worst in the other European spot. It is the least that our patient support deserves. WM is right to publicly back the man that he put in place at the club and I applaud him for that, although he shouldn't need to do it in the first place!

A lot has been said about 'fans expectations', unrealistic or otherwise but what is not unrealistic is the expectation that we don't get our pants pulled down time after time in cup competitions by a lower league team.

Saying that, now is not the time to replace the manager. That opportunity came with JCs & JNs contract renewal, and we missed it. At the time I agreed with the decision (although not the length of contract), so I suppose I'll have to stand by it too. I still think that at the present moment JC is our best opportunity of silverware or a final in the next few seasons. However, I still also think that JC is the most likely man to lead us to another embarrassing cup blunder!

This cup upset thing doesn't entirely wash with me though. It happens to every team at some time or another - even the Chelseas and the Liverpools of this world! Okay so we've had 3 bad results against lower league teams under Jimmy's reign, but 2 of them were in penalty shoot outs (and anything can happen in them). I'm in no way excusing the results, but the whole point of the cup means lower league teams try harder and sometimes determination beats quality.

This cup upset thing doesn't entirely wash with me though. It happens to every team at some time or another - even the Chelseas and the Liverpools of this world! Okay so we've had 3 bad results against lower league teams under Jimmy's reign, but 2 of them were in penalty shoot outs (and anything can happen in them). I'm in no way excusing the results, but the whole point of the cup means lower league teams try harder and sometimes determination beats quality.

Its not 3 bad results, to quote Michael Grant in from the other thread "For the last three seasons their every cup exit has been dismal: Queen's Park, Hibs (by 4-1), Dundee United (4-1 again), Queen of the South (4-3), Kilmarnock (4-2) and now Dunfermline." The collapse against Utd was pitiful and the hibs game has to be hight of Calderwoods tactical ineptitude ever witnessed.

I still think that at the present moment JC is our best opportunity of silverware or a final in the next few seasons. However, I still also think that JC is the most likely man to lead us to another embarrassing cup blunder!

How can you look at his cup record with us and think somone else could not do better?

This was our year, easy as fuck draw and he couldn't even make the Semi-final.

Whilst I agree with you to an extent, i'm more agreeing with Mizer on this point. We've been humiliated everytime we've been in the cup. This doesn't happen on a regular basis to teams that should be competing to win trophies in these competitions. It just doesn't wash with me anymore. We need to stay united, but as JimmyJimmy says, as likely as JC is the man to take us to silverware, he's even more likely to lead us to an absolute embarassment. I'm not sure what the club will do, and as you quite rightly say, if they are going to sack him for another SPL manager, I wouldn't bother, but something needs to be done because this is pathetic now.

Absolute rubbish. Firstly, it's not just three bad results, there are other areas we have totally failed, the first being playing an entertaining brand of football.

Second, the fact two of them were penalty shoot outs makes it even more embarrassing. The fact we couldn't dispose of one lower league side in 120 minutes and the other in 210 minutes adds to the pain.

These things do happen in the cup but, three seasons in a row............c'mon!!!!

Absolute rubbish. Firstly, it's not just three bad results, there are other areas we have totally failed, the first being playing an entertaining brand of football.

Second, the fact two of them were penalty shoot outs makes it even more embarrassing. The fact we couldn't dispose of one lower league side in 120 minutes and the other in 210 minutes adds to the pain.

These things do happen in the cup but, three seasons in a row............c'mon!!!!

:clap: Nail on the head. Pretty much what I was trying to say. I just hope WM does something about this over the summer.

Yep - it's a disgrace. And they already have us knocked out of Europe in the qualifiers if we get a Europa League space.

I'm really not sure why they bother... although, most of them don't actually bother to go - they're just internet messageboard warriors who "know best".

On another down market site - it's laughable to read the comments about how Mark McGhee is definitely coming (cumming?) - it's like some of them want to have McGhee's babies... sad as fuck.

As I said in another thread, anyone who wants Aberdeen to fail on the pitch in some hope of sealing Calderwoods fate is simply not a true Aberdeen supporter. Calderwood, regardless of results in the coming weeks, has sealed his own fate. It's just a pity those in power to do something about it don't have the guts (or the money?).

I will support Aberdeen, fully, till the day I die. I will not support Calderwood another day.

Absolute rubbish, basically. The "whole point of the cup" is not that the lower league teams try harder. Even if they do try harder, if we play at our best we should still win, so what's the excuse now?  You're trying to defend the indefensible.

Yep - Once is an upset, twice is dodgy, three times is a problem!

And all the 4 goal cup panellings - rarely lost 4 or more in the league.

Its unarguable incompetance. end off. 

I never want to see aberdeen lose but if come the end of the season a shit run of results forces the board to act then it wouldnt be the end of the world. My fear is that we get into europe and it saves JC's skin for another season. 

Its unarguable incompetance. end off. 

I never want to see aberdeen lose but if come the end of the season a shit run of results forces the board to act then it wouldnt be the end of the world. My fear is that we get into europe and it saves JC's skin for another season. 

So if he delivers one of the main objectives of our season then he should then be sacked?

:hammer:

So if he delivers one of the main objectives of our season then he should then be sacked?

:hammer:

Regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season I think he should go. That maybe sounds crazy but I just think he has done all he can at Pittodrie. Having said that I want Aberdeen to finish as strongly as they can and as high as they can.

Regardless, I suspect this time next year we will be having similar conversations, East Fife or East Stirling - or similar - having humiliated us in the cup!!!

Regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season I think he should go. That maybe sounds crazy but I just think he has done all he can at Pittodrie. Having said that I want Aberdeen to finish as strongly as they can and as high as they can.

Regardless, I suspect this time next year we will be having similar conversations, East Fife or East Stirling - or similar - having humiliated us in the cup!!!

As has been mentioned on a couple of threads now, it has an air of consistency about it, do ok in the league but get pumped out of the cups. I want us to finish as high up the table as possible, but as much as I want JC to leave in the summer, I just don't see it happening. The board appear to be more or less happy with what he does, despite what the majority of fans think. On a positive note though, its sunny today :D