Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

New stadium thread

Kowalski

Might be an idea to approach Conoco and see if they will move their naming rights to the North East of Scotland since the New Grimsby town stadium is basically dead.

I think since they became ConocoPhillips their policy of associating themselves with sporting clubs etc has changed somewhat - ie the answer would be "no".  Good idea in principal though.  :hammer:

Just as a matter of interest, when a company pays for naming rights to a new stadium, is there a specific time limit as to how long the stadium bears their name?

Pretty much. Can vary of course; Livingston's Stadium changes name every week for example, the Emirates is a 15yr deal (for £100M) and the Aviva is a 10yr deal

Its typically included in the contract.....I think AFC are kidding themselves if they think their is going to be a massive bidding war for our stadium name.

Arsenal got £100M for 17 years with Emirates.  If you look at comparative income to sponsorship your probably looking at someone like Shell giving AFC £1.5M over 10 years or a company like that.

Assuming we sell Pittodrie for £18-£20M, we'll have a debt of around £13-14M to service leaving us with £6M + £1.5M = £7.5M in the bank to service a modest £38M estimate.  Most clubs tend to put aside 10% so I am not sure if AFC are budgeting for the stadium to cost £35M and £38M is in the pot or what, give them the benefit of the doubt and say we have a £28M shortfall.

There will be a share issue, of that we all know.  Is the business climate likely to improve to the point where shares in AFC will be valuable to investors in the short or even long term? My guessing is if banks propped up by the state are worth fk all at the moment then AFC has no chance.

I would guess that a share issue would raise a further £6M - giving AFC the benefit of the doubt again.  Which leaves it to the wealthy shareholders to sort out.  Aberdeen are talking about a mortgage facility but I think its disgusting that our plan is to go to a new stadium with a potential £20M shortfall. You could argue that we could probably get £10M from various other partners, SMG and so forth, so we'd need a facility from the bank of £10M, therefore interest of about £1M a year all over again.

Most clubs move stadiums to get a fresh start, invest in the team and so on. Throughout this AFC have only alluded to "confident we will find the cash somewhere" for the stadium, but fits the point if the team's still going to be shite? Brown already hinting at more budget cuts if we didn't win last night, its a fkn joke and any fresh start will last one week, opening game where one of the weegie outfits come up and stick 5 past us and then your back to the 7,000 trying to see through the fog to watch the game. Can't wait ;o)

• 2 weeks later...
Plans by Aberdeen Football Club to build a 21,000-seater stadium on land near Loirston Loch off Wellington Road have won the backing of Aberdeen city councillors.

The Full Council voted 23 votes to 17 in favour of a willingness to approve the planning application for the stadium, for associated car parking, landscaping and access arrangements to the site, and to notify Scottish Ministers for their consideration.

The scheme includes a legal agreement with the Dons to secure funding and full implementation of special transport and parking measures, a planning gain contribution, and the extension of the development's public plaza if adjacent land is developed as a new community in the future.

Land west of Wellington Road will accommodate the 39.5-acre development, at the northern end of Loirston Loch and south of the Souterhead Road roundabout.

Enterprise, Planning and Infrastructure convener Councillor Kate Dean said: "This is a major opportunity for the city to show proudly that we are really in business. Securing the stadium within the city boundary will bring significant economic benefits. I am so impressed by the design of the stadium, which fits well into the site and which will create a wonderful landmark development at this important gateway into the city for many years to come."

Enterprise Planning and Infrastructure director Gordon McIntosh added: "This will be a modern, top-quality sports and leisure venue, which will be a credit to the city and an asset to be enjoyed by thousands of local people from across Aberdeen and the North-east and the thousands who will visit from other parts of Scotland, the rest of the UK and Europe. I believe it will be emblematic of Aberdeen's ambition to maintain and enhance its status as a city – a city which is not afraid to display its confidence in the future."

The sports and leisure stadium – measuring 195 metres by 160 metres, and reaching 24 metres in height – will feature a 1,000-capacity home supporters' bar, commercial space, changing rooms, training facilities, a gymnasium, offices, an Aberdeen FC shop and museum, a classroom and a café.

The pitch will be orientated east-west, with stands completely encircling it. The stadium will be of a standard to host international football and rugby matches, and concerts and events. A cantilevered roof will cover all the seating.

Glass curtain walling, polished granite, red and white cladding and grey brick will all be part of the energy-efficient structure, which will feature a soft red glow at night at the top of each elevation. The Dons' club badge will be placed on the SE and NW corners.

The south main stand will house the club and hospitality facilities, including offices, boardroom, changing rooms, hospitality and function suites, and 26 hospitality boxes for up to 14 people each. The suites and boxes will be hired out for weddings, conferences, meetings and other events on non-match days. There will be 5,000 square metres of community and commercial space.

The supporters' bar will be in the NW corner, open before and after matches and available for hire. Police and stewards' facilities will be in the NE corner. The main entrance, shop, museum, café, ticket office, gym, club offices and classroom will be in the SW corner.

Parking space for 1,400 cars will be created, mainly to the north, south and west of the site, with 520 of the spaces allocated to corporate fans, 140 for club directors, players, staff and officials, visiting clubs and the media, and the remaining 710 for fans. The football club wants parking space to be pre-booked or allocated, with preference given to high-occupancy vehicles, and aims to set up a car-share scheme.

Parking space for up to 81 coaches for away supporters will be in the east, with parking space for 22 home fans' coaches to the north.

Disabled access and dedicated parking will be provided at the stadium, with space for more than 150 wheelchairs. Parking space for 60 cycles will also be provided in two places near the main entrance and on the north side of the stadium.

Vehicle and pedestrian accesses will be made off Wellington Road and Wellington Circle, with a third pedestrian access from Redmoss Road along the existing right-of-way. A new footway/cycleway will be built on the west side of Wellington Road from the site access north to Souterhead roundabout. A pedestrian concourse will surround the stadium, ringed by a new road.

Loirston Loch will be retained in its entirety, surrounded by a protected zone at least 30 metres wide to ensure minimal disturbance. The landscaped area around the loch will be 40 to 100 metres wide, retaining as much existing natural vegetation as possible.

Parking areas will be screened by new landscaping, and extensive hedging with native species is planned for much of the site perimeter. Tree-lined avenues will be created along the pedestrian walkways and to separate the parking areas. A memorial garden will also be created, with Pittodrie Stadium's old Merkland Road entrance gates as the centrepiece. All told, 432 trees, 2,000 metres of hedge, 12,000 square metres of shrubs and plants, and 10,000 square metres of grass will be planted.

The central plank of the Dons' transport strategy will be large-scale bus links between the stadium and the city centre, co-ordinated by operator First. There will be up to 80 buses laid on on match days, and as many as 120 for special events like Old Firm ties and European match nights, to ferry fans to and from five places, including College Street, Shiprow, Rose Street, and the Bridge of Don and Kingswells park-and-ride sites, with services running from 1.30pm on match days.

A controlled parking zone is planned to protect nearby residential areas within 30 minutes' walk of the stadium from being swamped by fans' cars, with permits issued to residents in the zone on match and event days and with the club fully funding the scheme, including enforcement. Most of Cove and Altens will be covered, along with Nigg, Redmoss Road and south Kincorth.

copied from Hat

Parking space for 1,400 cars will be created, mainly to the north, south and west of the site, with 520 of the spaces allocated to corporate fans, 140 for club directors, players, staff and officials, visiting clubs and the media, and the remaining 710 for fans.

Aberdeen vs Ayr Utd in the cup on a bleak Tuesday evening in November will mean carparking for every fan, then  ::)

I work in the Burger King up at Altens. A few of us once walked into toon for a night oot - fuck doing that walk again, it took ages. Only reason it doesn't seem like a long distance is cause folk are usually driving along that road at 40-odd mph.

:-\

Oh I'm sure our community stadium will be much worse than that.  I propose that we put the park out at Loirston and leave the seating at Pittodrie.  The fans won't have to watch the dire football or tackle the commute and the club can get the tumbleweed silence that they seem to be doing their up most to create.

By the time it's built I'd be surprised if there are enough fans to complain about the lack of parking or overcrowding of buses anyway.

Is anybody excited about this new stadium?

I am excited about the concept of a new stadium, its long overdue and will briefly give us a boost.  That said there are to many negatives to get really excited, such as the lack of funds to pay for it, location and so forth.  A rail link would make a massive difference.

Id rather see us punt the money into building a good squad that can challenge

Not going to happen unless somebody puts their hands in their pockets.  The new stadium is being part-funded by the sale of Pittodrie, the rest apparently coming from commercial and business opportunities.

Christ, that's shocking. Running tracks should be nowhere near a football stadium IMO.

I think you'll find that it's a football stadium near a running track  ;)

The only stadium in the world that i've found that has a running track and isn't fucking shite is the Olympicstadion in Berlin.

Also, if some of you don't know, when Glasgow hosts the Commonwealth games, Hampden is having its pitch raised to add the running track. Just saying like, it's hardly relevent to this thread.

I think you'll find that it's a football stadium near a running track  ;)

The only stadium in the world that i've found that has a running track and isn't fucking shite is the Olympicstadion in Berlin.

Also, if some of you don't know, when Glasgow hosts the Commonwealth games, Hampden is having its pitch raised to add the running track. Just saying like, it's hardly relevent to this thread.

Stade de france does pretty well

23106_w600xh400.jpg

3286255190_441af2eeef_o.jpg