Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

New stadium thread

Kowalski

15 hours ago, tom_widdows said:

2hrs to walk 3.1miles?

3.6 miles from station to Cinieworld according to google maps and new location is a bit further along Kingsway so added 10 minutes to their 1 hour 35 estimate to Cinieworld. Vast majority of that uphill. Nobody is really walking that. Only way of reaching the site will be car or bus. I am cynical about the claims about shuttle buses as bus companies just don’t carry enough capacity to run existing services never mind extra match day services. It will also add additional cost to those travelling by public transport. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panda said:

It's not the Pittodrie footprint you need to paste onto it though, it's the footprint from a new modern stadium. 

Unless AZ Alkmaar's stadium can fit on it then gtf.

Nae bother.

Plenty of room all around. Probably don't need the houses in the north west corner inside the footprint, but I think they're being demolished to make room for the Berryden dualler if that ever goes ahead anyway.

Could also rotate it 45 degrees and move closer to George Street so not building directly over the railway.

You'd need to compensate the building owners of the industrial units but I reckon that would cost less than the extra ground work and piling you'd need to do to put the stadium next to the beach.

The stadium itself would actually fit inside the empty site itself too, but I guess then you'd need car parking, emergency access, etc, to be underneath the stadium.

Either way, a far better option than anything that's been proposed so far.

AFC.JPG

AFC2.JPG

41 minutes ago, Slim said:

Nae bother.

Plenty of room all around. Probably don't need the houses in the north west corner inside the footprint, but I think they're being demolished to make room for the Berryden dualler if that ever goes ahead anyway.

Could also rotate it 45 degrees and move closer to George Street so not building directly over the railway.

You'd need to compensate the building owners of the industrial units but I reckon that would cost less than the extra ground work and piling you'd need to do to put the stadium next to the beach.

The stadium itself would actually fit inside the empty site itself too, but I guess then you'd need car parking, emergency access, etc, to be underneath the stadium.

Either way, a far better option than anything that's been proposed so far.

AFC.JPG

AFC2.JPG

You need enough space around the stadium for the entire capacity to be evacuated into a controlled space whilst still allowing space for emergency vehicles.

You also need to plan for 20000 odd people suddenly packing into an area with infrastructure not currently designed to accommodate it. Road, pavement and junction improvements, traffic management Utility upgrades etc

Football stadiums dont get 'compulsary purchase orders.

One reason Arsenal's stadium was so expensive was not only did they have to buy the surrounding buildings, they also had to buy replacement houses/ commercial properties for the occupants.

Stamford Bridge's redevelopment was effectively cancelled due to the objections of one lone householder.

Carparking under a very large structure with significant weight fluctuations on former victorian industrial site with an underground stream on one side and a railway tunnel on the other?

Network Rail held up a housing project near Edinburgh because 4 houses were too close to the roof of a tunnel. When asked what they think about having a stadium built close if not on top of their tunnel the short answer will ne 'No' and the long one 'FUCK no'

Finally Emergency Access 'under a building'?! Yeah you really want to be parking the fire engine under the raging inferno.

Gonna throw this out there.

Whatever you may think or Architects, Stadium Designers, Engineers, Town Planners, and the Officials at the Club, do you think if Broadford works was a feasible they wouldnt have considered it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jute said:

3.6 miles from station to Cinieworld according to google maps and new location is a bit further along Kingsway so added 10 minutes to their 1 hour 35 estimate to Cinieworld. Vast majority of that uphill. Nobody is really walking that. Only way of reaching the site will be car or bus. I am cynical about the claims about shuttle buses as bus companies just don’t carry enough capacity to run existing services never mind extra match day services. It will also add additional cost to those travelling by public transport. 

But the thing is though, where is everyone travelling from? 

You're measuring the distance from the station - how many Dundee fans travel to Dens Park from the train station just now? Dundee only has two stations (the other Broughty Ferry) so my guess is very few.

Bus station - buses don't just stop at the station though. Many routes will go past Camperdown and there'll be new ones added.

What are the current travel options to get to Dens Park? A lot of people will need to just take a slight detour to get to Camperdown if going by car or bus.

It's entirely different from the Kingsford/Pittodrie comparison, as these two sites aren't that far apart.

Edited by Panda