New stadium thread

• 7 months later...
The Chairman revealed this evening that Loirston Loch is still the preferred venue for the new stadium and talks have reopened with Aberdeen City Council about building the stadium on the location near Cove.

He told the 80 or so assembled shareholders "We still see Loirston as the best location for the new stadium and in recent months we have reopened discussions with Aberdeen City Council and about trying to reach an agreement on the purchase of the land which would allow us to go ahead with our plans.

"We have looked at other sites and there are other venues out there but we have invested a lot of money into the Loirston site and we still firmly believe it is the best option."

With Calder Park now not an option for training facilities the Chairman revealed on RedTV discussions were at a delicate stage regarding alternative sites but he fully expected training facilities to be in place prior to relocating to a new stadium. -

- See more at: http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20131125/the-110th-agm-of-aberdeen-fc_2212158_3550421#sthash.EyQakcJn.dpuf

Could rank the places in order by location in aberdeen where would be the worst place for a football stadium, Loirston would rank pretty highly on that list.

Missed the boat with this one, all the decent land in Aberdeen has been bought up by property developers or industrial estates.

Still at least the stadium looked good on paper.  :thumbsup:

Fit Likey,

Can only think what the trauma would be like getting over there for a midweek game!!!

Would make sense if we had a bye pass like........

Think we are 15-20 years too late in deciding to move, most decent sized chunks of land in favourable areas are now Industrial estates.

Ideally best solution would be to work with what we have, Given that we havnt sold out in 5 or 6 years now i'd have thought we could get away with 15-17k capacity now.

Considering traffic in and around the city centre and given the fact that portlethen and inverurie both have train stations and are on decent duel carriage ways i cant help but think it might be better moving outside of the city limits!!!

Not really an avenue i'd have considered before, but trying to do anything in cove / altens during the busy periods is just stupid.

This line has been trotted out for a good few years by the club,

If its costing that much to maintain (for arguments sake the south stand) simple solution would be to close that part of the ground and use the stand we put ourselves 3 million into to debt to build.

This line has been trotted out for a good few years by the club,

If its costing that much to maintain (for arguments sake the south stand) simple solution would be to close that part of the ground and use the stand we put ourselves 3 million into to debt to build.

South Stand holds almost 9000 fans. RDS holds 6100.

You cant just close 42% of your stadium and say 'problem solved'

Main stand would follow fairly soon after losing another 3400 and the merkland isnt in great nick either (all 3 built on foundations not ideally suited for sandy soil)

You close one and the domino effect will start as you have set a precident

And Tyrant it is possible but the rebuilt stadium complying with all the current regulations would have a capacity of about 12000-14000 with no room for future expansion.

I personally dont see a problem with a smaller stadium given out average crowd is borderline 10000 but the Club and so many others would see it as a step back

Main stand would follow fairly soon after losing another 3400 and the merkland isnt in great nick either (all 3 built on foundations not ideally suited for sandy soil)

And Tyrant it is possible but the rebuilt stadium complying with all the current regulations would have a capacity of about 12000-14000 with no room for future expansion.

I personally dont see a problem with a smaller stadium given out average crowd is borderline 10000 but the Club and so many others would see it as a step back

Our current stadium is compliant with the regulations that are in place and that holds 22k+. I don't understand why a rebuild would mean such a hit in stadium capacity. I'm not saying it's not true. Someone would need to explain to me why this is the case. As long as Wiggy makes a shed load when his new flats go up for sale though. It's the club that'll be stuck with a huge mortgage on a stadium that no one goes to, not him.

Correct, but the whole of the south stand cant be a problem? You can enter from either side so dont see the problem with closing the most effected / run down side?

Surely a better solution than closing part of our best stand and then moaning about repairs to a crumbling stadium?

Domino effect or not, surely if somethings broken, and somethings not broken you use the thing thats not broken first?

My suggestion was for re-development, if the south stand is the worst stand then i see no reason we cant come to some solution to redevelop that side of the stadium, Making that the players entrance and moving the boxes over there! Then you can put a shitey stand where the main currently is.

Surely more cost effective than moving to a stadium thats going to be far to big for our requirements and putting us under more financial pressure.

Our current stadium is compliant with the regulations that are in place and that holds 22k+. I don't understand why a rebuild would mean such a hit in stadium capacity. I'm not saying it's not true. Someone would need to explain to me why this is the case. As long as Wiggy makes a shed load when his new flats go up for sale though. It's the club that'll be stuck with a huge mortgage on a stadium that no one goes to, not him.

It is only compliant because it is an existing situation.

As soon as you demolish one of those stands all the current regulations regarding emergency evacuation, access for emergency & service vehicles, disabled access gathering areas for up to 1000 people so they arent queuing on public roads, structural design, leg room, toilet & catering facilities etc will kick in for whatever is built in its place.

Speak to Blootoon red at what is involved for a football stadium.

If you live in an old house and you want to make some changes to the layout then everything you do will have to comply with the current building regulations. What you don't touch can remain the same but that new extension will need to be energy efficient, have doors of a certain width, windows of a certain design and size, any bathrooms or kitchens will need to comply with the accessibility regulations.

Arent they moving the AECC out to Dyce?

Boom!

Land going spare on the edge of the city with dual carriageways heading to it from both directions.  Bus park right next door to ferry fans in and out, where away buses can park up.  Could probably cut some deal with the companies round that area as well to use their car parks that are sitting empty during weekends and week day evenings.

I'll nae even charge them £100k to study that 2 second bit of common sense.

Lived next to that site for most of my life, Road lay out is pretty good. Busy in the mornings but that would have no effect on the stadium.

Think it would be a decent solution if theres enough space, also quite a lot of levelling out would need done.

Not too far from dyce station either sure it wouldnt take a lot of planning to have shuttle buses from the station to the stadium.

To be honest ST, thats not a bad shout at all. Would be worth asking if the club have considered it given the recent AECC news.  I'm not overly familiar with the Loirston site, but is it not a green field site too?  I guess it's all reliant on whether the AECC actually move in the end or it's all pie in the sky talk. Guess it's quite apt really.

ST is suggesting building the new stadium at the site of the AECC once it's fucked off to Dyce but Stoney reckons that Dyce wouldn't be a bad location for the Stadium.

Although the only way anyone could think that is if it's nice and close to their own hoose.