Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

x

Jagerdeen

:thumbsup:

You didn't listen to the game? Motherwell more than dominated, absolutely battered us in the first half. According to the ommentators, Macdonald had his first touch of the ball in about the 30th min  :oStarting 3-5-2 was a disaster and the commentator rightly said this was madness and I think it was about then we went 4-4-2. Second half we played better, but it sounded like we were continually at risk at conceding on the counter attack.

What a surprise that is!

This sort of thing adds fuel to the fire for his detractors.  3-5-2 pretty much never works for us, so why does he persist with trying this every so often?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I decided to do something else with my afternoon. If Motherwell more than dominated then surely a point is a good thing to have taken from the game?

I'm not denying that, but it just worries me that we can't win and don't look like winning. When did we last score more than one goal? It sounded again like we couldn't even get the basics right (Mulgrew especially) and only started to play football when Aluko came on. I just find it all rather concerning.

That was terrible listening. Sounded like we lacked almost a bit of everything, especially a cool head in defence! I'm not convinced we'll win another game this season the way we are playing. We cannot seem to score more than one goal anymore, almost like we used all our lives up in January.

Very little to be positive about. By the sound of it we stole a point from Motherwell - not that I'm bothered about that, a point is a point. Just see us getting found out by others, starting with ICT who have plenty to be hungry about.

Sorry to bring it back to JC again but, in his interview just now, he still clearly thinks the fans backlash is down to three games out of over two hundred. Reckons he is definately doing "somethng right". Arrogant bastard.

Win, lose or draw today was a definite chance to give a positive reaction to the fans despair, play well and show passion. I only listened to the game but it doesn't sound like this was remotely the case.

As said already above, Langfield and Bebo the saviours.

Sorry to bring it back to JC again but, in his interview just now, he still clearly thinks the fans backlash is down to three games out of over two hundred. Reckons he is definately doing "somethng right". Arrogant bastard.

Yeah it made my blood boil too OZ.  The self delusion of the man is staggering!

With regards to the starting formation today, it beggars belief to play 3 at the back against a team that always plays 3 up front especially away from home.  I really fear for us in the last 7 games and can see ICT taking us apart next week.  They are playing with a purpose and desire that puts us to shame.

Yeah it made my blood boil too OZ.  The self delusion of the man is staggering!

With regards to the starting formation today, it beggars belief to play 3 at the back against a team that always plays 3 up front especially away from home.  I really fear for us in the last 7 games and can see ICT taking us apart next week.  They are playing with a purpose and desire that puts us to shame.

One of the commentators said along the lines of "The players look like they don't know what they're doing!"

Nae like JC to have the players flummoxed  :hammer:

One of the commentators said along the lines of "The players look like they don't know what they're doing!"

Nae like JC to have the players flummoxed  :hammer:

I remember a game at Pittodrie, when Russell was still with us, JC making a substitution and Russell gesturing to the bench that he didn't have a baldy what was going on.

Same old same old  :-\

Langfield seems to be one of our most consistent performers this season. Great to hear he had a good game.  :thumbsup:

I'll wait until the highlights before I make comment about the game but it seemed from the radio commentary at half time that we were all over the place in the 1st half and that Motherwell thouroughly deserved their lead.

A point from this match definately feels like a point well earned given our current form, but what disappoints me is the manner in which we went about it. Of all the teams that still have something to play for (Europa cup spot or top 6: Motherwell, Hibernian, Hearts, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen) we were the only team that didn't seem to 'go for it'.

Langfield seems to be one of our most consistent performers this season. Great to hear he had a good game.  :thumbsup:

I'll wait until the highlights before I make comment about the game but it seemed from the radio commentary at half time that we were all over the place in the 1st half and that Motherwell thouroughly deserved their lead.

A point from this match definately feels like a point well earned given our current form, but what disappoints me is the manner in which we went about it. Of all the teams that still have something to play for (Europa cup spot or top 6: Motherwell, Hibernian, Hearts, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen) we were the only team that didn't seem to 'go for it'.

This is what I was alluding to in my previous posts and what concerns me. There is a general lack of urgency surrounding the team and its quite bewildering conserdering a)we've got fuck all form b) we can't score/try to score c) they owe it to the fans to make something of this season!

preview_1475055_1_400x500_0_0__1_ffffff_381d136fc7027a86cda194239cc6b3d8.jpg

Ooo I'm in that photo, The one in the away top by the aisle at the top right

Myself and the people around me were wondering what it said at the start as we could only read Europe. It looks a bit more professional that the All Talk No Bottle banner even if it was just on paper.

I agree Jimmy Jimmy. The result was what I predicted (and Maguire first Dons goalscorer ;D) however that was my optimistic prediction assuming we did 'go for it' as to be honest I feared a convincing defeat.

I watched the Arabs/Hibs game and saw the effort, passion, determination, giving 100% I expect from Aberdeen FC players.

That our team seems not to have 'gone for it' is extremely disappointing a fcuking disgrace to say the least.

I think I would have probably have taken a draw today pre-match, especially as utd and hibs had both drawn. add in that considine got red carded and we played shite then its got to be a great result. However, its a worry that in such a big match that we played shite. We should have been right up for this and should have been pushing for a win, not hanging on at the end. 3rd place has definately gone now, and I fancy utd will probably take some points off the OF, so although I think we will get top 6, we will be struggling for europe I think.

Very poor Aberdeen support yesterday, didn't even fill the bottom tier.

Apart from their deflected goal, I don't think they had any real chances in the first half although they were the better team.

Great link up with Miller and Maguire for the goal, great take by Bebo.

We had a brilliant chance to win it towards the end, Aluko held it up well in the corner and rolled it back to Smith. If he had looked up or Miller was standing a foot back he would've had a free header.

Great save from Langfield at the end.

We missed Kerr's composure today and thought Young was our best player in the first half. Maybe people could give the guy a break...

Second half was all about Aluko, might have been a different game if he had started.

That's all about the game really.

A wee shout out to the Motherwell kids and their gay attempt at the Eintracht Frankfurt jump, had us in stitches. We had a wee go at it when we scored and it was hilarious.

All in all, a point is a fair result.

Very poor Aberdeen support yesterday, didn't even fill the bottom tier.

Apart from their deflected goal, I don't think they had any real chances in the first half although they were the better team.

Great link up with Miller and Maguire for the goal, great take by Bebo.

We had a brilliant chance to win it towards the end, Aluko held it up well in the corner and rolled it back to Smith. If he had looked up or Miller was standing a foot back he would've had a free header.

Great save from Langfield at the end.

We missed Kerr's composure today and thought Young was our best player in the first half. Maybe people could give the guy a break...

Second half was all about Aluko, might have been a different game if he had started.

That's all about the game really.

A wee shout out to the Motherwell kids and their gay attempt at the Eintracht Frankfurt jump, had us in stitches. We had a wee go at it when we scored and it was hilarious.

All in all, a point is a fair result.

Pretty decent summary. One thing I would add is that Mulgrew looked like he had no interest again. He drags himself around the pitch like a petulant teenager these days and makes no effort to work at all. In the current climate, its very fucking frustrating to watch.

I didn't think Motherwell dominated us as much as it sounds like the radio said. They were pretty ineffective and if we had played Aluko from the start and had Kerr I think we would have beaten them reasonably comfortably.

Pretty decent summary. One thing I would add is that Mulgrew looked like he had no interest again. He drags himself around the pitch like a petulant teenager these days and makes no effort to work at all. In the current climate, its very fucking frustrating to watch.

I didn't think Motherwell dominated us as much as it sounds like the radio said. They were pretty ineffective and if we had played Aluko from the start and had Kerr I think we would have beaten them reasonably comfortably.

They were saying on the radio it looked like he never knew what he was doing and didn't seem possess the basic football skills you are taught or coached as a kid!

A slightly less than impartial article from the P&J:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1156618

WHEN the hot air of Jimmy Calderwood met the cold determination of Mark McGhee, there was always likely to be a storm brewing.

It would have been a very poor idea on Jimmy's part to allow his side to be blown away by the man who is many supporters' choice to replace him once the rainbow appears over Pittodrie.

But that was perilously close to being Aberdeen's fate in the opening stages as the fans behind Jamie Langfield's goal unfurled their umbrellas anticipating a deluge.

The play of McGhee's Motherwell is like the green shoots of spring after the harsh, barren winter of Maurice Malpas, and all despite there being precious few signs of regeneration sprouting beneath their feet.

It is ironic that their stadium is named after an ever-green when the pitch is never-green, but they have fashioned a way of overcoming that handicap.

Motherwell's movement off the ball makes them difficult to contain and the willingness of their players to pop up in areas off the beaten track makes average defending look atrocious. Not that the Dons needed any help on that point.

Notwithstanding his incurable compulsion to change formations on an almost weekly basis, it cannot possibly have escaped Calderwood's attention that three at the back spells almost certain doom for Aberdeen whoever they're playing.

He gets no credit for realising his error, since it took him 45 minutes longer than everyone else inside the stadium.

Not for the first time Calderwood owes a debt to Chris Maguire for a special goal. In contrast to Well's intricate passing mathematics, Aberdeen, offering one another fewer options than a stadium feasibility study, advance the ball primarily at the feet of runners, making the cavalier Maguire almost as important to the implementation of the Dons' gameplan as Sone Aluko.

If he can continue banging in strikes like these, Darren Mackie is in for three long years of reserve football.