Priorities for rest of season

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I voted calderwood out at all costs.  My reasoning for this is that i have got off the fence and planted my flag, short of a miraculous change in style from JC i wont be going back on my decision.  By this logic for the club to progress he has to go as soon as possible therefore this is my priority for the rest of the season.

Thing is also that some of Calderwood's teams best displays have been in the UEFA cup.

Bringing in an new inexperienced young manager to manage a team in the UEFA cup in some of his first competetive games at the club would be a disaster. The club would be throwing away our biggest chance of reducing debt for the season.

Indeed, I recall someone making this point. Its almost like you want two managers, a domestic one, and JC for the Uefa cup games. I wouldn't trust any manager we could afford (or likely to get in as a replacement) to take us into Europe, and have the same success that JC, but I don't trust JC in the SPL or cup competitions.  :-\

Thing is also that some of Calderwood's teams best displays have been in the UEFA cup.

Bringing in an new inexperienced young manager to manage a team in the UEFA cup in some of his first competetive games at the club would be a disaster. The club would be throwing away our biggest chance of reducing debt for the season.

Its impossible to say how a different manager would handle the pressure of league games let alone european games so until you start talking about specific cases there is no point in speculating and scaremongering. 

Its probably not even relevant as i am very sceptical that we will finish in the top 4 anyway

Surely saying that a new manager not getting paid much can do better than Calderwood is speculation?

It works both ways.

Well no shit of course it is but at least when its someone specific you can discuss the pro's and cons.  You cant just say that any nameless new manager would have a mare in europe, there is no grounds for it!

I haven't said they would have a mare I am just pointing out that your argument of speculation was flawed the other way too.

We've also discussed the pros & cons of getting rid of Calderwood and I am not convinced that the pros win yet.

Not really what i was saying though is it jim.  My point is that speculation and scaremongering of how a nameless new manager will do is completely pointless.  E.g. "He's gonna be terrible in europe" says a  "who is?" says b  "it doesnt matter he's gonna be shite" says a again.  Ok bit melodramatic but this is essentially what jager said.  You dont how an inexperienced manager is going to handle the rigours of euro football, In jose mourhino's case he nailed first time and won the uefa cup ffs.

I think in today's financial climate we'd be very lucky to get anyone that would achieve that.

It's all about change for changes sake for most JMG fans.

Of course not it was just an example of a how an inexperienced manager had done well on his first time.  For me its not about change for changes sake its because i think he's done the best he can and is incapable of taking us any further forward. 

As before, conjecture.

I don't know I think Jimmy has proved (and knows himself) he's taken us as far as he can. I'm not sure though if getting rid is the best thing to do UNLESS, we can get someone in who has that spark, something that would make me think he could do better.

I'm not sure any of the usual suspests, who have been brought up every time on these forums since Alec Miller was punted, are the answer. Then again we've had "out of the box" appointments before, and the majority think that Ebbe didn't work.

For that reason I've put Europe, although I wouldn't be disspointed if Jimmy was punted or walked (never gonna happen) at the end of the season.

As before, conjecture.

Of course not it was just an example of a how an inexperienced manager had done well on his first time.  For me its not about change for changes sake its because i think he's done the best he can and is incapable of taking us any further forward. 

opinion

::)

con?jec?ture

? ?/k?n?d??kt??r/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuhn-jek-cher] Show IPA noun, verb, -tured, -tur?ing.

–noun

1. the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.

Theres quite a bit of proof to be fair.  Regardless though you still got me

Indeed, I recall someone making this point. Its almost like you want two managers, a domestic one, and JC for the Uefa cup games. I wouldn't trust any manager we could afford (or likely to get in as a replacement) to take us into Europe, and have the same success that JC, but I don't trust JC in the SPL or cup competitions.   :-\

Yes, that was me.  It makes the arguement about "the next level"  (whatever that is, are we playing Super Mario or Lemming's)? a little unclear to me, as compared to other manager's within the SPL he HAS PROVED COMPETENT within Europen football.

However, it is the route to European competition that irks, as over TWO season's we have squandered the relatively easier chance to gain entry to Euro football via the Scottish cup through playing "smaller" teams.  These players should have been playing out of thier skins in the cup to get to the final, as if one of the ugly sister's is your opponent, you dont even have to WIN the bloody thing!

Insated we are left with fighting for every point at the end of a season against the better theams in the SPL witgh the party line from Pittodrie being trotted out at every interview: "third is our priority now, European football would be geat again" blah blah blah.

Was our all conquering (ok winning one game) run in Europe not JCs first time in europe as well? Who is to say that another manager might not do as well if not better on their first go.

Yes, that was me.  It makes the arguement about "the next level"  (whatever that is, are we playing Super Mario or Lemming's)? a little unclear to me, as compared to other manager's within the SPL he HAS PROVED COMPETENT within Europen football.

However, it is the route to European competition that irks, as over TWO season's we have squandered the relatively easier chance to gain entry to Euro football via the Scottish cup through playing "smaller" teams.  These players should have been playing out of thier skins in the cup to get to the final, as if one of the ugly sister's is your opponent, you dont even have to WIN the bloody thing!

Insated we are left with fighting for every point at the end of a season against the better theams in the SPL witgh the party line from Pittodrie being trotted out at every interview: "third is our priority now, European football would be geat again" blah blah blah.

For me this would be a big hike in domestic consistancy, something i have completely lost faith in JC to provide.  The euro run was great for the coffers, morale, pride etc etc and the copenhagen game was the most enjoyable experience i've had at pittodrie in all my visits there but for all that we still only won one game out of six.  Dont get me wrong i'm not trying to belittle the achievement, its not our fault thats all we needed to do to get out of the group stage.  When it comes down to it though we rode our luck massively enroute to munich

For me this would be a big hike in domestic consistancy, something i have completely lost faith in JC to provide.  The euro run was great for the coffers, morale, pride etc etc and the copenhagen game was the most enjoyable experience i've had at pittodrie in all my visits there but for all that we still only won one game out of six.  Dont get me wrong i'm not trying to belittle the achievement, its not our fault thats all we needed to do to get out of the group stage.  When it comes down to it though we rode our luck massively enroute to munich

I'd consider the draws against Dnipro home & away, Moscow and Bayern Munich as some of the most exceptional results that I have seen Aberdeen achieve in the last 5 years. They may only be draws and not wins but to devalue them is a very naive assessment of the situation. These results far outway victories against Rangers and Celtic or Hearts at Tynecastle.

They are very much an overachieving performances for a club whose European experiences are limited in recent history playing very very competent European sides. Dnipro were amongst the favourites for the tournament and they could not defeat us home or away, Bayern were the favourites and should have left Pittodrie with nothing. I'm sick of this 'we only won one game in Europe' bullshit. Draws are clearly not as good as wins but these are exceptional results. ND.

Woah there betsy!!!  Im not trying to take anything away from the achievement but lets look at it rationally.  The Dnipro game at home the nearest we came to scoring was a 25 yarder from clark that the keeper did brilliantly to put onto the post.  The second leg they were all over us and if wasnt for 4 amazing saves from langfield we would have been out.  One in particular when he manged to get his hand onto a ball that was behind him to tip it onto the bar was the best save i've seen from an aberdeen keeper in such a crucial game since snelders. 

The panathaniakos game we were whitewashed, the moscow game we did well in the first half but didnt have a sniff in the second.  The madrid game we played well but were totally outclassed.  The copenhagen game was phenomenal obviously and the 1st half against munich was awesome but looking at all the results we did ride our luck to get that far.