Saturday 19th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Celtic v Aberdeen

Rebel Aberdeen fans to stage Pittodrie demo calling for Jimmy Calderwood's head

Kowalski

I'm going against the tide here now it seems, but I'm still a JMG-er!! Does that mean I have to get a Bosman to KKK?   :

Its not clear but I think the prevailing opinion is that we would all welcome his exit if there is a commercially viable alternative proposed who is likely to bring progress. A JSGITIACVAPWILTBPer if you like.  ;)

I'm in no way a "JIG'er". I cringe at what the guy says in the media and am as puzzled as most by many of his tactical changes. I just don't see what replacing him with another manager will bring the club apart from additional costs and at best, a few months of anticipation until fans are calling the new appointment is as "imcompetant" as any of the other appointments in the last 20 years.

So we'll maybe finish a few places below last season but to go crying "he's taken as far as he can", "we're going backwards" is premature. Look at 05/06 where we finished 6th and look at what we did the following season. Which club in the SPL has made progress on the field season on season?

Queen of the South, Queens Park, Dunfermline all keep being mentioned as reasons for him to go but in my eyes those games are not representitive of Jimmy's time here. You could swing right to the other side and look at the wins at Parkhead, Tynecastle (which we hadnt done for donkeys years) and the home form vs Rangers. The true representation of Jimmy's time is somewhere in the middle of all of this.

What AFC needs is European qualification on a regular basis. We've all seen what affect the Uefa Cup run had on our finances and if we could acheive that a couple of seasons in a row we would be in a financial position to push for "the next level". Until that time, fighting for the Uefa Cup spots is where AFC will be year on year, and that's where we are right now.

If there was a manager around who I thought would be interested in the Aberdeen job, and who would do a better job than Calderwood then I could understand fans wanting him replaced. I just don't see who there is out there.

Fantastic post and it pretty much mirrors my view on things exactly, honestly couldnt have put it better myself!

+1

Its easy, there's even a song (in the Vladamir Romanov sucking Paul Hartley off vein):

Only get rid-of Calderwood,

for a commercially viable alternative

Only get rid-of Calderwood,

for a commercially viable alternative.

...I think it's a catchy little ditty and sung through a synthesised megaphone would add to any protest.

The argument and "reasoning" behind the protest is questionable in the first place, but really, when you think this time last year we'd just scraped into the top 6 with the last possible game remaining to do so with an 87th minute goal and with less points that we have currently with 2 games remaining before the split, it's a bit premature. Not that I would support it at any time, but some perspective is needed.

We may not be playing silky, entertaining football but we're currently doing better than we were last year.

The argument and "reasoning" behind the protest is questionable in the first place, but really, when you think this time last year we'd just scraped into the top 6 with the last possible game remaining to do so with an 87th minute goal and with less points that we have currently with 2 games remaining before the split, it's a bit premature. Not that I would support it at any time, but some perspective is needed.

We may not be playing silky, entertaining football but we're currently doing better than we were last year.

That's the problem tho is it not - we play absolutely shite football most of the time now

Good post Penfold BTW  :thumbsup:

Obviously the strength of the protest will be greater if we have yet another bad result on Saturday - many fans might feel like joining in.  But if we win I can see it being a complete non-event.

The players will know this, and hopefully they can put ICT away in some style.

An eruption of anger. The smell of burnt hair in the air. Just minutes ago AFC security tried to sneak Calderwood out in the boot of a family saloon. It didn't work. Crowds set upon the vehicle, one man ended up plaited around the axel, they ripped Calderwood out of the back and at that point we became ominously aware of a 25 foot wicker phallus. Seconds later Jimmy was ablaze. Sheets of flame dancing to the beat of primitive animal justice.

This is Steven Duff, at Pittodrie, for Reporting Scotland

An eruption of anger. The smell of burnt hair in the air. Just minutes ago AFC security tried to sneak Calderwood out in the boot of a family saloon. It didn't work. Crowds set upon the vehicle, one man ended up plaited around the axel, they ripped Calderwood out of the back and at that point we became ominously aware of a 25 foot wicker phallus. Seconds later Jimmy was ablaze. Sheets of flame dancing to the beat of primitive animal justice.

This is Steven Duff, at Pittodrie, for Reporting Scotland

:lolabove:

Well slightly better in the league but you have to put into perspective the extra games of the euro run and the fact we made two semi finals last season.  All adds up to the same assesment for me, could and should be doing a lot better.

Well slightly better in the league but you have to put into perspective the extra games of the euro run and the fact we made two semi finals last season.  All adds up to the same assesment for me, could and should be doing a lot better.

Indeed, there is no point in comparing it to last season as we were involved in a good few more games. And the highlighted bit sums it up for me. We're playing shite football, and have done for the vast majority of the season. Someone tried convincing me in the pub last night that Aberdeen are doing well in the league (not a fan of SPL football), and he couldn't understand why I was diagreeing with him. Considering that we were playing in 4 competitions last season, we should be doing a lot better this season, but we're not. For one reason or another we are just barely stuttering across the line.