Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

šŸ† Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Things McGhee needs to do to win over the Red Army

Reekie_Red
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting article in the Scotsman by Michael Portillo ... err I mean Alan Pattullo. Basically saying that, regardless of the comments about Celtic in the Pittodrie Press Conference, McGhee should still be made more welcome by the Red Army so long as he does a few things. Which do you reckon is the most important (up to two options)?

Ā 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought he will have the backing of the Red Army from the start, and as long as we do reasonably well and the football is a bit more entertaining will be given a bit of time to settle in.

Ā 

His priorities, before the season start, however must be a central defender and a replacement for Seve.Ā 

Ā 

Ideally he should win a trophy but he won't need to do that to win over the fans so I'll go for good football and buying a defender.

Ā 

Guest fatshaft

I would have thought he will have the backing of the Red Army from the start, and as long as we do reasonably well and the football is a bit more entertaining will be given a bit of time to settle in.

Exactly. I'm at a loss as to why he needs to win anyone over?Ā  ???

Guest fatshaft

Interesting article in the Scotsman by Michael Portillo ... err I mean Alan Pattullo. Basically saying that, regardless of the comments about Celtic in the Pittodrie Press Conference, McGhee should still be made more welcome by the Red Army so long as he does a few things. Which do you reckon is the most important (up to two options)?

Ā 

See this is where the west coast media have ended up believeing their own propoganda. Jimmy wasn't hounded out becasue he was a Rangers man, that is a slant of your own making, so bang on about McGhee being a Celtic man all you want, you'll take a long time before you realise you need to find a new angle to wind up the Dons support.Ā  :hammer:

I agree with Fatshaft.Ā  Who or what is there to win over? He's the new manager of our club and I'm sure will have the backing of our full support from the off.Ā  People are trying to re-write history here. Jimmy received the full backing of the support when he came in - remember the reception he got in his first competitive match in charge versus the huns at Pittodrie?Ā  But things Jimmy did unravelled that 100% support - rightly or wrongly.

Ā 

His priorities, before the season start, however must be a central defender and a replacement for Seve.Ā 

Ā 

Ideally he should win a trophy but he won't need to do that to win over the fans so I'll go for good football and buying a defender.

Ā 

Ā 

Different rules for ex-players?Ā  ::)

Different rules for ex-players? Ā ::)

No.

As others have said JC had the full support of the the fans for a good couple of years. Ā It was only really over the last couple of seasons that the support turned against him en-mass.

Ā 

Yes in the long run McGhee, or rather Aberdeen, need to win trophies.

However missing out on a trophy next season won't instantly turn the support against McGhee nor is it a prerequisite for our support next season.

Ā 

Reekie's post suggested that we are all waiting to decide if McGhee will have our support. Ā I would suggest, with the honourable exception of you, everyone will be fully behind him, just as we were behind JC, Pele, Ebbe, Alex Miller (ok maybe I took that too far but you get the point). Ā We expect some basics, winning more than losing, a few goals and football that doesn't make you want to tear your eyes out.

Ā 

To maintain the support a run in Europe would go down a treat, but really that would be a bonus, and a cup win in the next few years would seem to be a requirement to meet HIS stated aim of taking us to the next level. Ā However missing out on them in his first season would hardly be a disaster. Ā 

Ā 

This coming season he should be qualifying for Europe and making a decent fist at at least one cup. Ā Anything better and he clearly has out done JC, anything less and it is likely to be more of the same we've "enjoyed" over the last few years.

Ā 

Nice to see that after giving people so much abuse for not supporting JC and hounding him out your willing to afford McGhee a similar level of support ::)

No.

As others have said JC had the full support of the the fans for a good couple of years. Ā It was only really over the last couple of seasons that the support turned against him en-mass.

Ā 

Yes in the long run McGhee, or rather Aberdeen, need to win trophies.

However missing out on a trophy next season won't instantly turn the support against McGhee nor is it a prerequisite for our support next season.

Ā 

Reekie's post suggested that we are all waiting to decide if McGhee will have our support. Ā I would suggest, with the honourable exception of you, everyone will be fully behind him, just as we were behind JC, Pele, Ebbe, Alex Miller (ok maybe I took that too far but you get the point). Ā We expect some basics, winning more than losing, a few goals and football that doesn't make you want to tear your eyes out.

Ā 

To maintain the support a run in Europe would go down a treat, but really that would be a bonus, and a cup win in the next few years would seem to be a requirement to meet HIS stated aim of taking us to the next level. Ā However missing out on them in his first season would hardly be a disaster. Ā 

Ā 

This coming season he should be qualifying for Europe and making a decent fist at at least one cup. Ā Anything better and he clearly has out done JC, anything less and it is likely to be more of the same we've "enjoyed" over the last few years.

Ā 

Nice to see that after giving people so much abuse for not supporting JC and hounding him out your willing to afford McGhee a similar level of support ::)

Ā 

Calderwood got exactly the same level of apprehension from me when he arrived. I'll see how we're doing come Christmas. I'm not going to ott about this signing purely because (a) He's an ex Gothenburg legend and (b) He isn't Calderwood.

Calderwood got exactly the same level of apprehension from me when he arrived. I'll see how we're doing come Christmas. I'm not going to ott about this signing purely because (a) He's an ex Gothenburg legend and (b) He isn't Calderwood.

Show me anyone that is "going ott" about this appointment? (you are not allowed to cite Niall in your answer)

He should never ever ever mention again that he would have gone to Celtic rather than us I am sick of hearing it - it has turned into a bigger headline than him becoming our manager - watched the STV West news yesterday evening and they went on and fucking on about itĀ  :hammer:

Ā 

Ā 

This coming season he should be qualifying for Europe and making a decent fist at at least one cup.Ā  Anything better and he clearly has out done JC, anything less and it is likely to be more of the same we've "enjoyed" over the last few years.

Ā 

That, my friend, is pish.

Ā 

He's got 5 years to prove he can "outdo" Calderwood.

Ā 

What has Calderwood's record got to do wi the price of cheese anyway? It is McGhee's record from here on in that matters, nothing else.

Ā 

Qualification for Europe? A decent fist of a cup? Does 2 semi's count as a "decent fist"? :wave:

Ā 

As I said, that kind of discussion is completely unecessary.Ā  :hammer:

That, my friend, is pish.

Ā 

He's got 5 years to prove he can "outdo" Calderwood.

Ā 

What has Calderwood's record got to do wi the price of cheese anyway? It is McGhee's record from here on in that matters, nothing else.

Ā 

Qualification for Europe? A decent fist of a cup? Does 2 semi's count as a "decent fist"? :wave:

Ā 

Ā 

2 years actually, but since he's the new messiah he'll do it in less than 6 months.Ā  :thumbsup:

I'll be happy with signing a central defender, playing a good level of football and maintaining the league positions over the past 5 years. If we're given some luck with a cup draw then progress in that, is a must.

Ā 

I'm happy to wait for a season for signs of real progress.

Sorry but he needs to win me over, I couldn't care less about his history with the club and those comments about wanting the Celtic job whether realistic or not were ill placed. He better pray he gets a good start to the season. And if he signs that fucking lump Hughes, well....Ā  :hammer:

Ā 

See, the first post I've quoted there doesn't sound like apprehension to me. It sounds like a child who has chucked his toys out his pram.Ā  I also find it amazing you're only willing to give him until Christmas, how long were you willing to let us trundle along under Calderwood?Ā  What will McGhee have to do to win you over?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Pretty much. But I have a feeling that these forums from now on are going to be a case of one lot saying "He's doing that better than Calderwood did" or "We wouldn't be struggling like this if Calderwood was here" etc. When we'll never be comparing identical circumstances, things will be skewed from either side to their preference. Very tedious and extremely irrelevant.

New manager means a new start. The expectations for McGhee this season are probably the same expectations that would have been in place if JC was still here. Namely, a European spot in the league and decent runs in cup competitions. These expectations haven't gone away. But they are not expectations for McGhee alone but for the group of players that he will inherit and for the club as a whole.

Ā 

What he will get is time to make the team his own and to develop his own style of play and tactics. From us he should expect full support and patience while he tries to do this. Along the way there will be a few defeats, a few disappointments and probably some pish football. McGhee isn't a magic wand for all our problems, but I do think he is the right man now to deliver progress.

Ā 

Thats exactly what I want to see in the coming seasons - progress. In terms of performance, success and in the financial position of the club. Beating Rangers at Ibrox, stylish football and even silverware all 'nice to haves' which shouldn't distract us from our aim of progress on and off the pitch.

Ā 

Ā 

New manager means a new start. The expectations for McGhee this season are probably the same expectations that would have been in place if JC was still here. Namely, a European spot in the league and decent runs in cup competitions. These expectations haven't gone away. But they are not expectations for McGhee alone but for the group of players that he will inherit and for the club as a whole.

Ā 

What he will get is time to make the team his own and to develop his own style of play and tactics. From us he should expect full support and patience while he tries to do this. Along the way there will be a few defeats, a few disappointments and probably some pish football. McGhee isn't a magic wand for all our problems, but I do think he is the right man now to deliver progress.

Ā 

Thats exactly what I want to see in the coming seasons - progress. In terms of performance, success and in the financial position of the club. Beating Rangers at Ibrox, stylish football and even silverware all 'nice to haves' which shouldn't distract us from our aim of progress on and off the pitch.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Well putĀ  8)