Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

šŸ† Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Things McGhee needs to do to win over the Red Army

Reekie_Red
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I voted for a new central defender and progress in Europe.Ā  However, on reflection i would probably change that to just playing attractive fitba.Ā  Some of the fitba we played last season was horrendous.

Ā 

Mcghee knows full well what the realistic aims are for the club in this moment in time and knows that Calderwood made a resonable job at stabalising the club.Ā  From his interviews, he obviously feels that he is the man to use that foundation and, asMarky sez to progress from where we were last season. I dont see this as arrogant, I see it as self confidence and a will to win.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, the first post I've quoted there doesn't sound like apprehension to me. It sounds like a child who has chucked his toys out his pram.Ā  I also find it amazing you're only willing to give him until Christmas, how long were you willing to let us trundle along under Calderwood?Ā  What will McGhee have to do to win you over?

Ā 

How is that "Chucking the toys out of the pram"? He's signed a two year contract, he doesn't have time to fuck around so he better be making some sort of progress very fucking quickly. I'm extremely wary about ex-players being managers and especially when its someone like McGhee who doesn't seem to be able to cope with more than 3 years in the one place. Long term plans aren't his cup of tea. As far as Calderwood goes, if McGhee does any better I'll be surprised, I don't see that McGhee is a better manager than Jimmy.

Guest fatshaft

Sorry but he needs to win me over, I couldn't care less about his history with the club and those comments about wanting the Celtic job whether realistic or not were ill placed. He better pray he gets a good start to the season. And if he signs that fucking lump Hughes, well....Ā  :hammer:

Why? he was put on the spot by the journos, he didn;t volunteer that info. Do you think he should have said he had no interest in Celtic, and that 'Aberdeen were the only club for him' in typical thicko footballer cliche speak?

Ā 

Not a single person would have believed him, and he would have come out looking very dishonest.

Ā 

You have to remember as well, that McGhee played this down and tried to move on, it is just the Weegia that are trying to hype it up for their own ends to try and stir up shit among Dons fans, because they really do believe that Jimmy was hounded out becasue of Rangers, they think Celtic/McGhee is a fast track to creating strife this season.

Why? he was put on the spot by the journos, he didn;t volunteer that info. Do you think he should have said he had no interest in Celtic, and that 'Aberdeen were the only club for him' in typical thicko footballer cliche speak?

Ā 

Not a single person would have believed him, and he would have come out looking very dishonest.

Ā 

You have to remember as well, that McGhee played this down and tried to move on, it is just the Weegia that are trying to hype it up for their own ends to try and stir up shit among Dons fans, because they really do believe that Jimmy was hounded out becasue of Rangers, they think Celtic/McGhee is a fast track to creating strife this season.

Ā 

And I'm sure they have succeeded in stirring it up. I have no doubt it'll be brought up by some fans the minute McGhee does something wrong/we get knocked out of Europe/knocked out the cup to Celtic.

Ā 

While I admire his honesty, some fans are going to be annoyed by it. It doesn't really bother me personally either way though.

How is that "Chucking the toys out of the pram"? He's signed a two year contract, he doesn't have time to fuck around so he better be making some sort of progress very fucking quickly. I'm extremely wary about ex-players being managers and especially when its someone like McGhee who doesn't seem to be able to cope with more than 3 years in the one place. Long term plans aren't his cup of tea. As far as Calderwood goes, if McGhee does any better I'll be surprised, I don't see that McGhee is a better manager than Jimmy.

Ā 

Well for a start coming out and saying "He has to win me over" makes you sound like a petulant brat.Ā  I don't think many of us are exactly overjoyed that he's the manager but try giving him a bit of support instead of sitting there with your arms crossed and your bottom lip quivering.

How many managers these days do stick around anywhere for more than 3 years?

Ā 

Jimmy's gone. Get over it.

Well for a start coming out and saying "He has to win me over" makes you sound like a petulant brat.Ā  I don't think many of us are exactly overjoyed that he's the manager but try giving him a bit of support instead of sitting there with your arms crossed and your bottom lip quivering.

Ā 

Ā 

Plenty. Very poor attempt to justify McGhee's fairly nomadic career as a manager.

I'd be surprised if McGhee does stay longer than 3 years. Based on his history, I think he'll have a spectacular 1st season, a mediocre second and then a top-five finish in his third but with a cup win. This cup win will bring an end to Mowbray's Celtic career and McGhee will sign for the Tims.

Ā 

If he stays longer than three years, it won't be because he's done a fantastic job at Aberdeen, it'll be because he's not been the messiah that we all think he'll be.

I'd be surprised if McGhee does stay longer than 3 years. Based on his history, I think he'll have a spectacular 1st season, a mediocre second and then a top-five finish in his third but with a cup win. This cup win will bring an end to Mowbray's Celtic career and McGhee will sign for the Tims.

Ā 

Great use of the crystal ball there.Ā  :-\

Ā 

Who has said that he is the messiah? I don't think he is.

Ā 

Ā 

Plenty. Very poor attempt to justify McGhee's fairly nomadic career as a manager.

Ā 

I wasn't attempting to "justify McGhee's fairly nomadic career as a manager" wise guy. Why would I want to do that?Ā  The average time in a job these days is between two and three years if I remember correctly.

Ā 

Ā 

Don't really agree with that part.

Ā 

Yes, he'll get my full support from day 1, but he'll still need time to convince me that he really is the right man for the job. Much like when JC came, he had my full support, but he didn't win me over fully until he got us into europe.

Guest fatshaft

Think you'd better check the facts before coming out with a glib and incorrect reply.

Ā 

And would add do a souness by taking a aberdeen flag or the corner flag at ibrox and stabing into the centre spot of the pitch as soon as we enact some revenge :thumbsup:

Ā 

You will be getting the ultras moist with talk like that.

Ā 

Ā 

So you're just going to blindly accept him given that he only achieved 7th place with what he admitted himself was "the third best team in the SPL"?

So you're just going to blindly accept him given that he only achieved 7th place with what he admitted himself was "the third best team in the SPL"?

Ā 

Blindly accept him? He's our manager and neither me nor yourself can do anything about that, so I'll give him support until it's proven that I really shouldn't be. I'm not going into the season with the attitude "You have to win me over". I'm going into it the way I go into it as I always do, regardless of who the manager is.Ā 

Ā 

And you're being a bit selective with your quote there. He also said that had it not been for injuries to their best players in the first part of the season they'd have done a lot better and since Christmas Motherwell had done better than everyone bar the OF and Hearts. In that time JC and the Dons only won 4 matches if i remember correctly.Ā 

Guest fatshaft

Are you saying that there are not plenty of managers who have spent more than three years at a club?

Spot on son. How many in the SPL?Ā  Is it currently Billy Reid & McPherson?

Ā 

How many in the EPL? Fergie, Wenger, Moyes, and well that's it.

Ā 

Hardly plenty is it?

Blindly accept him? He's our manager and neither me nor yourself can do anything about that, so I'll give him support until it's proven that I really shouldn't be. I'm not going into the season with the attitude "You have to win me over". I'm going into it the way I go into it as I always do, regardless of who the manager is.Ā 

Ā 

And you're being a bit selective with your quote there. He also said that had it not been for injuries to their best players in the first part of the season they'd have done a lot better and since Christmas Motherwell had done better than everyone bar the OF and Hearts. In that time JC and the Dons only won 4 matches if i remember correctly.Ā 

Ā 

Look, I've never rated McGhee (I don't know of many that do to be honest) and that's a big part of why I'm so apprehensive about this. I'll give him support too, there's no question about it, but he'll still need to convince me he's the man for the job in the same way that Jimmy did.

Guest fatshaft

Look, I've never rated McGhee (I don't know of many that do to be honest) and that's a big part of why I'm so apprehensive about this. I'll give him support too, there's no question about it, but he'll still need to convince me he's the man for the job in the same way that Jimmy did.

And yet he was favourite in the various online polls of all candidates?

And yet he was favourite in the various online polls of all candidates?

Ā 

Not here he wasn't

http://www.thedandies.co.uk/messageboard/index.php?topic=8706.0;viewResults

Ā 

And somewhat surprisingly hardly an overwhelming favourite over on the the "hat" where he only polled four more votes than Eric Black despite site owners championing him as the returning prodigal son ::)

And for the avoidance of any doubt, I'm with Padre and Jay on this one :thumbsup: