Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Pssst, get in my car young boy....

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1265245

Aberdeen FC report Gers over ‘illegal approaches’

Aberdeen FC chief Miller wants SPL to take action

By Charlie Allan

Published: 18/06/2009

ON A MISSION: Aberdeen FC director of football Willie Miller.

More Pictures

ABERDEEN FC have reported Rangers to the SPL for making illegal approaches for young players.

Kilmarnock and Hamilton have also asked the game’s governing body to take the Gers to task as the war to snap up the nation’s best young talents heats up.

To read this story in full, pick up a copy of today’s Evening Express

Paedos.

Read the actualy report last night. There is fuck all the SFA will do because apparently rangers aren't doing anything illegal. Miller is just pissed off because we spent thousands developing the players and Rangers take them off our hands when we are 16 for literally nothing.

We havent exactly had a reputation for keeping our young players in the last few seasons.

Suppose it depends on how much these lads get paid down govan way and if they would rather end up playing for the likes of Airdrie, Clyde, Albion Rovers or Morton as opposed to Peterhead, Montrose, Brechin etc

Only way to stop huns etc snapping young boys up at 16 from non old firm clubs is to 1) Keep them past the age of 18, and 2) At least try to develop them so they get a chance at first team football.

Currently they may as well head south because they have about as much chance of playing first team football for the old firm as they do Aberdeen etc.

Shout you mouth off all you want miller but until they see guys like Pawlett getting regular games they will be easy targets.

Given the clubs (and indeed most other established SPL teams) attitude to Youth ie just have them to stick on the bench so we have our U21 quota, can we be sure that there havent been a fair few talented young scots players left by the wayside due to inadequate coaching in our country?

In the days of Ebbe the press would often be touting a young player as the next big thing. Yes apart from Clark and Diamond i cant think of anyone else who eventually made it but at least there were sounds that there was potential in the ranks.

Since Skovdahl left the only player I can recall ever being touted as a big thing in the media was Chris Maguire (I dont recall much being said about John Stewart).

Was impressed with Pawlett and Patons contributions at Ibrox but dont recall any press coverage about them prior to that match.

Was this a tactic by the club who were trying to protect the players or maybe Calderwood just wasnt interested in youth (which I have heard some people say was the case both with us and dunfermline), or is it perhaps that our coaches whilst being great players in their day aint good at developing young talent

I have to admit that when I heard tell that Leighton was apparently favouring Esson over Preece a few seasons back I lost a bit of admiration for him. But in saying that langfield has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years so maybe that was a one off.

Im interested to see if we start to see a few new young faces breaking into the first team under Mcghee and Leitch

Who knows

It has become apparent over the last 5 or so years that there was something deeply wrong with the structure, management and direction of youth policy and development at AFC and Miller has set about changing all of that root and branch, with Lenny Taylor and Peter Weir et al being brought on board to scout and look after talent.

That wasn't likely to happen overnight but I think we can see one or two propects emerging, the likes of Paton and Pawlett look fine young players as does Fraser Fyvie.

It is a bit unfair to lay blame at Calderwood's door for the dearth of any talent coming through, nor for it's paucity in the first team in his tenure. It was largely crap, none of the players he let go have went on to much at all, certainly, AFC has been the peak of their career thus far. 

Given the clubs (and indeed most other established SPL teams) attitude to Youth ie just have them to stick on the bench so we have our U21 quota, can we be sure that there havent been a fair few talented young scots players left by the wayside due to inadequate coaching in our country?

In the days of Ebbe the press would often be touting a young player as the next big thing. Yes apart from Clark and Diamond i cant think of anyone else who eventually made it but at least there were sounds that there was potential in the ranks.

Michael Hart came through around Ebbe's time, and obviously we had to buy him back but other than Anderson I think he's the best we've had come through since the days of Jess and Booth.

Since Skovdahl left the only player I can recall ever being touted as a big thing in the media was Chris Maguire (I dont recall much being said about John Stewart).

Was impressed with Pawlett and Patons contributions at Ibrox but dont recall any press coverage about them prior to that match.

Was this a tactic by the club who were trying to protect the players or maybe Calderwood just wasnt interested in youth (which I have heard some people say was the case both with us and dunfermline), or is it perhaps that our coaches whilst being great players in their day aint good at developing young talent

It's a very hard thing for supporters to gauge. It may well be that JC just wasn't interested in playing youths, or it may be that the youths coming through just weren't good enough. It's also not entirely true to say that because none of them have gone on to anything better we were right to let them go. Young players develop differently when put into the first team and all of a sudden have seasoned pros next to them rather than their young, inexperienced peers.  Would Eoin Jess have been the player he was if he hadn't had the experience of playing beside both Charlie Nicholas and Hans Gillhaus so early in his career?

I have to admit that when I heard tell that Leighton was apparently favouring Esson over Preece a few seasons back I lost a bit of admiration for him. But in saying that langfield has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years so maybe that was a one off.

I think Leighton favoured Esson over Preece because (stop giggling at the back) even for all his faults, Esson had better reactions than Preece.  I am no fan of either, but the few decent memories I have of Esson (one save in particular against Celtic in what I believe was the Centenary Game was absolutely outstanding) are all of him making point blank saves, not dis-similar to the great man himself at his peak.  Esson's mistakes mainly seemed to be when he had too much time to think about things ie dropping a corner into his own net v the huns.  Preece improved greatly in his time with us, but I never thought he moved his feet quickly enough along his line, his positioning was extremely questionable (Riordan for Hibs at Pittodrie springs to mind) and his decision making likewise.