Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

P&J: McGhee in move for ex-Rangers forward

Kowalski

Thing is he's been prolific before down here, I don't think it would be out-with the realms of possibility that Charlton, Southampton, Norwich, Notts County, Yeovil, if your talking proximity, and a fair few others are having a look at the situation. He's free, if he can recapture the form of 3 seasons ago it could be the touch paper for their promotion/relegation avoidance push and gives him another chance at the big bucks available in the Championship.

as much as it pains me that we struggle to attract decent footballers to the club there is a horrible realism to everything you've said :(

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen FC boss will bid for MacLean

McGhee eyeing move for striker

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 21/11/2009

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today confirmed he will make a renewed bid to bring striker Steven MacLean to Pittodrie.

The Evening Express revealed yesterday that MacLean would be happy to speak to Aberdeen FC after being told he is free to leave Plymouth Argyle.

McGhee made a failed attempt to sign the former Rangers striker in the summer, but is delighted they could have another chance to land the 27-year-old.

McGhee said: “If Steven is going to be available then it’s something we are going to have to look in to. He is an excellent striker.

“Steven holds the ball up very well and is slightly different to the other front players we have at Pittodrie.â€

Aberdeen FC’s last bid fell through because of cash restraints.

MacLean’s wages at Plymouth are far greater than he would get at Pittodrie, and McGhee admits the player would probably need to agree to a major pay cut to come back to Scotland.

The Aberdeen FC boss said: “You don’t get players of Steven’s quality for nothing.

“Free to go, might mean he can leave if someone picks up the cost of the remainder of his deal at Plymouth. If that’s the case it might still price Steven out of our range."

does this also mean that MM forsees us getting rid of one or two in Jan to free up wages?

As with his summer signing plans he is hoping for players to take wage cuts. Whilst we should be aiming for better quality in the squad, we shouldn't end up wi next to fuck all as in the summer as his "targets" stayed/went with the money.

• 2 months later...
MacLean in crunch talks with Aberdeen FC

Plymouth ace ready to meet with McGhee

By Ross McTavish

Published: 26/01/2010

ABERDEEN FC target Steven MacLean is ready for final talks with Mark McGhee this week over a proposed move to Pittodrie.

The Plymouth striker today insisted Aberdeen FC were still in the running for his services.

The boost for Aberdeen FC boss McGhee comes after Falkirk skipper Darren Barr snubbed the Reds to sign a three-year pre-contract agreement with Hearts.

Swansea’s Stephen Dobbie also today claimed he remains open to a switch to Aberdeen.

Guest rocket debris

Such unexplained negativity. Is it because our manager is an uninspiring human or our board has no ambition?

Please develop your point beyond your half empty glass. I blame the weather.

Guest rocket debris

Because it happens all the time with most of our transfers. Not just this manager, but many before him.

Exactly. And there is a reason and reasons for this. On the other thread, bilbo said it was a shambles without giving a reason or reasons. When someone supported his view and developed his point by suggesting that the reasons are firmly in the boardroom and with the people who's function it is to manage this aspect of running the club, one poster started blaming the managers past and present instead and others assumed ostrich-like propensities in order to deny the truth. A blind man can see what is wrong and why. 

Rocket min, I think there are loads of mitigating factors that also have to be taken in to consideration. Finance and geography will be factors on whether players like McLean fancy a move to Aberdeen. I assume the margins are very tight these days so that every penny will count. We are in a shitty position where we run such a tight ship that we cannot afford to take risks by handing out the length of contract that players like McLean want.

It now appears that one of the skills that Aberdeen managers need these days is to be a magician in the transfer market. I think the club are a victim of circumstance (no redistribution of wealth in Scottish fitba, the English Championship can easily outspend us) and no one individual is to blame for the situation we are in.

Guest rocket debris

Agree with your assessment Sharpie. These are very difficult times. Where we might disagree is on the allocation of responsibility. Where an organisation has repeated failures in the same department and this has been continuing for over 5 years, then this does suggest that we can do better. In the current climate that you articulated, then even more so it is vital that the organisation carries no passengers and that every individual "adds value". Our repeating failings in attracting the right calibre and our failings in maintaining discretion in our internal affairs might suggest that we're not getting it right.

I feel sorry for Willie Miller. His appointment was political, he does not have the business skills required for the position and he is handicapped by the board. At least it finally appears that he is learning one thing. His arrogant mask is being shed. His boss acknowledged in writing that the club had been mismanaging it's relationship with it's fans and there is no doubt that WM has kept a lower profile since. But whereas the empty vassal now makes less noise, the lack of investment (not my job - Angela) and consistent lack of success in transfer dealings all point to a man out of his depth.

I think because we have such limited resources and that aberdeen Is so far from the central belt a lot of players we have talks with hold out till the end of transfer windows to see what other options they have. I don't think its a coincidence these players are saying we are still in the running to sign them with only five days left of the window

the lack of investment (not my job - Angela) and consistent lack of success in transfer dealings all point to a man out of his depth.

As has been pointed out to you before, that isn't Miller's job.  He is Director of Football. Why would the Director of Football be out "knocking on people's doors"?  Surely that would be more Duncan Fraser's remit?

Or Angela's...

Guest rocket debris

As has been pointed out to you before, that isn't Miller's job.  He is Director of Football. Why would the Director of Football be out "knocking on people's doors"?  Surely that would be more Duncan Fraser's remit?

Or Angela's...

in bigger clubs, Keith Wyness, Peter Kenyon took responsibility for negotiating inward investments. Their remit may well be more in line with Fraser's rather than WM's but when he took the position, it was specifically declared that WM was going to be seeking external investment. He said it himself at the AFCST meeting.

If we are to examine his job description it is clear that leaking details to the press of internal negotiations was counter productive. His quotes that accompanied this were cringeworthy. It is also clear that we are failing to land many targets. Declaring our targets in advance of failing to get them is also counter productive. His biggest mistake was granting an extended contract to a team that were not in demand, a decision that cost the club dear. As has been said, it is a difficult financial time and even more so for AFC because of the historic financial mismanagement. Even more reason why the DoF should have been asking why JC needed JN, SC and JL on the wage bill where MM needs only two and SAF needed only one.

We can discuss his areas of remit all we like. The areas which are clearly and directly his are the areas where we are severely underperforming. The league table, the empty trophy cabinet, the standard and commitment on the pitch, the divisive PR, the internal and external transfer and contracts negotiations etc. are consistently poor. 

Guest rocket debris

I think because we have such limited resources and that aberdeen Is so far from the central belt a lot of players we have talks with hold out till the end of transfer windows to see what other options they have. I don't think its a coincidence these players are saying we are still in the running to sign them with only five days left of the window

Any player that prefers to reside in the central belt rather than the North East is a human devoid of intelligence and not the calibre of individual we require. They should be spitting in their families faces, calling them weegies, urinating on their furniture and throwing a brick through their single glazed windie on the way out.

Already got my kagoule.

in bigger clubs, Keith Wyness, Peter Kenyon took responsibility for negotiating inward investments. Their remit may well be more in line with Fraser's rather than WM's but when he took the position, it was specifically declared that WM was going to be seeking external investment. He said it himself at the AFCST meeting.

But it is still Fraser's job rather than WM as you admit. So why are you not giving Duncan Fraser a hard time?

If we are to examine his job description it is clear that leaking details to the press of internal negotiations was counter productive.

The leaking of details to the press of internal negotiations was counter productive regardless of examination of his job description, I would say.  You have to remember here that - rightly or wrongly - this is what happens in football all over. We recognise it more with AFC because they are our club. I'm sure many fans of other sides are frustrated with this side of things at their club too. That isn't to say that it should necessarily happen with us, but it seems to be the nature of things especially now that agents have such a hand in things.

His quotes that accompanied this were cringeworthy. It is also clear that we are failing to land many targets. Declaring our targets in advance of failing to get them is also counter productive. His biggest mistake was granting an extended contract to a team that were not in demand, a decision that cost the club dear. As has been said, it is a difficult financial time and even more so for AFC because of the historic financial mismanagement. Even more reason why the DoF should have been asking why JC needed JN, SC and JL on the wage bill where MM needs only two and SAF needed only one.

Comparing SAF's time at Pittodrie to JC's is almost irrelevant due to the amount of changes in the game i.e fitness coaches, dieticians, ProZone etc. SAF has a huge staff at Old Trafford now which clearly outlines this point.

Regarding him not asking why JC needed SC and JL as well as JN...well, how do you know he didn't?  I don't know if he did or otherwise, but I would imagine at least Stewart Milne would have asked this when SC was appointed. JL was already at the club when both WM and JC arrived, incidentally. I'd also add I'd rather JL was still at the club as Langfield's performances have been nowhere near impressive as last season.

I agree that the term of contract given to the management team was a mistake.

We can discuss his areas of remit all we like. The areas which are clearly and directly his are the areas where we are severely underperforming. The league table, the empty trophy cabinet, the standard and commitment on the pitch, the divisive PR, the internal and external transfer and contracts negotiations etc. are consistently poor.

And you've conveniently left out the youth set up which he has overhauled and we are now seeing the fruits of. Miller has always said this was his main priority and the most important aspect of his job.

I think what you have to remember is that a Director of Football is there to help the manager.  A lot of the time Miller won't have a choice to offer £X to a player if the manager does not want that amount to be spent on that particular player, whether that's a new signing or in contract negotiations for an existing AFC player.  Miller also doesn't have the choice of signing who he wants, that's all down to the manager.

As far as the league position is going... is that not Mark McGhee's remit? Was it Willie Miller's fault we were knocked out the League Cup by lower league opposition?  I wouldn't have thought so.  You can argue that the team isn't yet McGhee's, regardless of that, Aberdeen should beat 1st division opponents every day of the week. We didn't. That wasn't down to a club director.

Guest rocket debris

Miller specifically said that he was here to attract investment and said that he was going to speak to the oil industry. He said this at the AFCST meeting 5.5 years ago immediately after his appointment. I am not gratuitously "giving him a hard time". This is a matter of fact. I acknowledge that in bigger clubs who can afford layers of management that it would be someone other than the DoF who would have this remit.

But his appointment was political and you agree that his biggest mistake cost this club hundreds of thousands. So you can see why Aberdeen fans have the right to question his overall worth.

I did not "conveniently forget" the one positive from the last few years. We finally have three young prospects. I said this and credited Lenny Taylor. I just hope that David Templeton doesn't come on and hammer us tonight, one of the most exciting talents I have seen for over a decade. Within a minute of him coming on at Pittodrie he skinned Mulgrew in the box and got a cross in. During WM's tenure, we let him go and he was told that he's "too small" to make it. 

I did not "conveniently forget" the one positive from the last few years. We finally have three young prospects. I said this and credited Lenny Taylor. I just hope that David Templeton doesn't come on and hammer us tonight, one of the most exciting talents I have seen for over a decade. Within a minute of him coming on at Pittodrie he skinned Mulgrew in the box and got a cross in. During WM's tenure, we let him go and he was told that he's "too small" to make it.

So when good young players are developed its down to Lenny Taylor, but when one slips through the net its Miller's fault?