Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Aberdeen vs Sigma 30/07/09

I'm not too confident about this. First priority obviously is to keep a clean sheet, if they score I think we'll have real problems given that our strikers clearly aren't comfortable in the system they're being asked to play.

I'll be more than happy if we can finish this game 0-0 or 1-0.  

I'm a low expectation havin mutha-fucka!

:-\

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got the date wrong mate.  ;)

Pretty worried about this one too as I'm not sure what to expect from both the opposition and our lot.  Very much agree that keeping a clean sheet is paramount.

Pretty much the same here, maybe help blow out the cobwebs of the usual pre-season!

We should have enough, I just wonder about the formation. That said, that shouldn't matter overly much, we should still have too much for them. 

I've noticed on a certain other AFC site that people are complaining about the price of the ticket for this game. I'm a bit baffled, it's the same price as always unless you're in the Main stand is it not?  ???

Aye, and sme of those complaining about it are more than willing to travel to the Czech Rep for the return leg. Makes a lot of sense that.

Clear and present danger for Aberdeen

DOING WELL IN EUROPE JUST GOT A WHOLE LOT MORE IMPORTANT FOR McGHEE AND TEAM

By PAUL THIRD

Published: 29/07/2009

FEELING THE NERVES: Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee. Kenny Elrick

More Pictures

Failure to qualify for the group stages of the Europa League could have catastrophic consequences for Aberdeen with the break-up of the squad a looming and real danger.

The grim scenario is facing Dons manager Mark McGhee as he prepares his team for the first competitive game, and arguably one of the most important, of the season tomorrow.

McGhee will make his competitive debut at home to Czech Republic side Sigma Olomouc. It is a game where the stakes could not be higher.

McGhee’s football budget has been vastly reduced due to the collapse of broadcaster Setanta, the costs of paying up the contracts of the former management team of Jimmy Calderwood, Jimmy Nicholl and Sandy Clark, and agreeing compensation with Motherwell for McGhee and his assistant Scott Leitch.

As a result, club directors admitted yesterday the new manager’s budget has been reduced by £600,000 for this season.

The deficit could rise to £1million in the next two years, leaving McGhee with a major task in convincing his leading players to commit themselves to the club.

The season starts tomorrow and McGhee knows already the pressure is on to keep the club at its current financial level by guiding the club through to the final qualifying round and beyond.

Retaining Lee Miller, Charlie Mulgrew, Mark Kerr, Gary McDonald and Richard Foster, who are all out of contract next summer, may depend on it. The Aberdeen manager said: “It would be a huge boost to us if we could get through because it’s worth an awful lot of money if we can reach the group stages.

“It could change everything. There is a longer term problem as the Setanta situation will affect our budgets for the next three seasons.

“Anything we do in Europe, I don’t think we would be pouring that money into this season. We would be looking to offset losses in the following seasons as well.

“But it could be significant in terms of maintaining the budget. It would be important.

“This doesn’t enter the minds of the players though. They go to the bank every month and expect their money to be in there. I don’t think they worry too much how it gets there. It’s the way it is.â€

A futile two-week attempt to sign trialist Reda Johnson which ended yesterday with the player joining Plymouth Argyle on a three-year deal did little to raise spirits as McGhee prepares for the Europa League tie.

What should have been an exciting, proud day for the new manager at Pittodrie tomorrow has been overshadowed by the perilous financial situation at the club and the weight of expectation rests heavily on McGhee’s shoulders.

He said: “I’m very nervous about it, to be honest. I am nervous about it being my first competitive game here. It is different and I think I’m feeling nervous, not so much about Sigma, but the whole thing about being the manager here.

“I am feeling different than just about any job I’ve had. It is quite strange and I’m almost looking forward to getting it over with.

“The expectations are high and it makes it a big occasion for me. I am not concerned about supporters judging me. I stand up to be judged . I just wanted to get started.â€

Well if getting into the group stages is really that important then we are screwed.

Even if we get through we won't be seeded in the next round and will face some pretty decent sides.

Well if getting into the group stages is really that important then we are screwed.

Even if we get through we won't be seeded in the next round and will face some pretty decent sides.

PRobably best to hope for at this stage is a good tie with a side who will command a decent TV deal in the final qualifying round and take it from there. Who are the Ethel Merman teams in the final round ?

Apparently MM said in a press conference today that he is more hopeful than positive Diamond will make the game tomorrow. I really hope he makes it, we really need him to be fit for the whole season. What would that leave us with?

Foster - holm? - Considine - Mulgrew

:-\