Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

šŸ† Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Five trialists involved at Hull

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerel always looked good he was someone I mentioned at some point in the past. Ricketts wasn't he the Arsenal trainee who decided that he was not going to get a chance because of the players they had in front of him and got himself a deal at spurs I think doing the negotiations himself. Been at wolves too? If I remember right Rocastle was being talked up a few years ago wasn't he? Maybe just lost his way?? Have to say I'd be pleased with these if they came off step in the right direction anyway.Ā 

Guest fatshaft

Suffice to say that the game itself sound like its absolute shite

Nope, it was a good game, and more positives than a Sammy Lee interview.

Suffice to say that the game itself sound like its absolute shite

Ā 

Goes to show you cant always judge a game on radio coverage

Ā 

The first 20mins we had what I was fearing to be the usual suicidal defending - Duff doesnt seem to understand when a keeper shouts leave it, you fucking leave it as opposed to hitting it with pace back towards his on rushing feet so he has to dig the fucking thing out at the last second. Then suddenly the defenders clicked and this boy Ifil was leading the show.

Ā 

we only had 2 chances in the first half when their 1st keeper decided to pass the ball to us and either mackie or miller nearly lobbed him from the corner of the 18yard box.

Then we took the lead from an aluko cross and a blatant headed own goal even though the stadium annoncer said it was miller.

Ā 

Hull had a couple of long daisy cutter shots which nelson dealth with comortably (BossuĀ  :wave:Ā  )

Ā 

second half and hull either werent interested or couldnt handle us. deano had a powerful volley cleared off the line and warner somehow managed to deflect a 4yard shot onto the post and out.

Hull just couldnt get past our defence and asides from a long range shot that went over the bar i cant recall them having anything until deano came back on for the last 5mins.

Ā 

Slick passing and flashes of skill on show form thedons. When we attacked we actually looked dangerous for once

Ā 

Plus a good vocal spport that must have been close if not more than 1000 strong.

The game was superb. Aberdeen were easily the better team overall and we looked a different team (I suppose we almost were) then last week. Chants of "Sign them all!" were spot on and if we do I'll be a happy Dandy.

Ā 

Great match. Great weekend.

MODS delete this thread before anyone from Plymouth get wind of it ;) Hopefully this will give the team a bit of confidence after the embarrassment and disgrace of the previous two weeks. By all accounts sounds like we should try and sign the majority of the trialists. How did that boy from Kingston do? Also, what system did we play?

Ā 

Edit: Just seent he goal on SSN, haha no chance that was Millers goal! I don't think his header was even on target before the deflection knocked it goal bound. Seemed like a decent turn out of Reds and Tigers.

MODS delete this thread before anyone from Plymouth get wind of it ;) Hopefully this will give the team a bit of confidence after the embarrassment and disgrace of the previous two weeks. By all accounts sounds like we should try and sign the majority of the trialists. How did that boy from Kingston do? Also, what system did we play?

Ā 

Edit: Just seent he goal on SSN, haha no chance that was Millers goal! I don't think his header was even on target before the deflection knocked it goal bound. Seemed like a decent turn out of Reds and Tigers.

Ā 

Ā 

Supposedly there were 8k odd fans there but I thought it was alot more than that.

Ā 

We played 4-4-2. The trialists all seemed fairly intelligent with a clue about hoe to play football. If the boy from Kingston was the right back that came on towards the end I thought he did ok. Better than our current right back... Duff/Young? He cut inside and even got a decent shot on goal.

Ā 

I also thought they seemed to get better performances out of players that haven't done so well so far this season. Considine for example.

How did Windass fair when he played for us? Could he still do us a good turn?

Ā 

Was only on for a few minutes but almost scored! Ball came over perfectly set up for a volley but he didnt get the greatest connection and it was cleared. Not sure if it was going on target. He looked gutted that he didnt score it.

Ā 

I hope that the rumours of us going for ifil, Rocastle and Ricketts are true. I would also go for the other central defender if he was cheao as backup to Diamond & Ifil.

Ā 

The right winger didnt get much time on the pitch but looked alrite. McGhee must have already made up his mind on him to give him so litle time.

Hello All.

Ā 

Swindon fan here.Ā  Been confirmed on our official site that you have made an official approach for Jerel Ifil.

Ā 

I'm pretty sure its a formailty he will sign for you now.Ā  Especially given, rightly or wrongly, he isn't first choice here at the moment.Ā  Myself, like many Swindon fans actually feel he should be in the starting 11, justified perhaps by the fact we lost 5-0 on the opening day Saturday!

Ā 

We have a massive 'love' for Jerel down here, given he is, out of the current squad, our longest serving player, and is known as the 'Beast'.Ā  For those of you that watched him vs. Hull will know exactly why.Ā  His main two assets are his pace.Ā  For a centre half he is very quick, ideal for man marking jobs on pacey forwards.Ā  He also has great strengh.

Ā 

That said he can be prone to the odd mistake.Ā  One of our former managers was well known for dubbing him 'Mistake A Game' Ifil, after he went through a run of games leading to opposition goals.Ā  His other weakness is his distribution.Ā  Certainly not got the best technique you will see and often ends up overhitting his passes.Ā  That said he is an out and out defender and on his day I would still put his up there with the best defenders in league one.Ā  Up to more recent times he would have been considered one of our best players, but after Maurice Malpas's brief tenure here last season, all Ifil's confidence was drained.

Ā 

Ā 

Will be very dissapointed to see him go, especially at a time when we need him back in the starting 11, but wall Swindon fans wish him all the best if he joins you over the border.Ā  If you have any questions feel free to ask, if I haven't covered most things already!

Hello All.

Ā 

Swindon fan here.Ā  Been confirmed on our official site that you have made an official approach for Jerel Ifil.

Ā 

I'm pretty sure its a formailty he will sign for you now.Ā  Especially given, rightly or wrongly, he isn't first choice here at the moment.Ā  Myself, like many Swindon fans actually feel he should be in the starting 11, justified perhaps by the fact we lost 5-0 on the opening day Saturday!

Ā 

We have a massive 'love' for Jerel down here, given he is, out of the current squad, our longest serving player, and is known as the 'Beast'.Ā  For those of you that watched him vs. Hull will know exactly why.Ā  His main two assets are his pace.Ā  For a centre half he is very quick, ideal for man marking jobs on pacey forwards.Ā  He also has great strengh.

Ā 

That said he can be prone to the odd mistake.Ā  One of our former managers was well known for dubbing him 'Mistake A Game' Ifil, after he went through a run of games leading to opposition goals.Ā  His other weakness is his distribution.Ā  Certainly not got the best technique you will see and often ends up overhitting his passes.Ā  That said he is an out and out defender and on his day I would still put his up there with the best defenders in league one.Ā  Up to more recent times he would have been considered one of our best players, but after Maurice Malpas's brief tenure here last season, all Ifil's confidence was drained.

Ā 

Ā 

Will be very dissapointed to see him go, especially at a time when we need him back in the starting 11, but wall Swindon fans wish him all the best if he joins you over the border.Ā  If you have any questions feel free to ask, if I haven't covered most things already!

Ā 

Thanks for that. Has be been quoted in any interviews down your way about him maybe joining us?

Thanks for the imput SwindonFan!Ā  :thumbsup:

Ā 

I wasn't at the game but it certainly sounded like he shored up our non existant/shakey defence. We've been crying out for a centre back for years, especially one that knows how to defend, which by the sounds of things he can do. As Aberdeen fans, we never believe anything until we see the player in our "broom cupboard" or more recently the trophy room signing the contract!

Thanks for the imput SwindonFan!Ā  :thumbsup:

Ā 

I wasn't at the game but it certainly sounded like he shored up our non existant/shakey defence. We've been crying out for a centre back for years, especially one that knows how to defend, which by the sounds of things he can do. As Aberdeen fans, we never believe anything until we see the player in our "broom cupboard" or more recently the trophy room signing the contract!

Ā 

Our trophy room may as well be a broom cupboard at the moment!

No problem! ;D

Ā 

He certainly is a defender whos only concern is to win the ball and stop the oppostion scoring. Ā He will let that do that talking, rather than a fancy turn or 50 yard pass as some centre halfs seem to be pre-occupied with these days.

Ā 

He has served us brilliantly over the time he has been with us, and has been influential in the limited successes we have had down here at Swindon over the years. Ā Was our player of the season in our promotion from league two. Ā In which he proved he was much better than that level and again was superb in the season we reached the league one playoffs.

Ā 

I think for him personally, as much as I would like him to stay, a move away is probably best for himself. Ā He needs to be playing week in week out to show his best form and new surroundings, after being here for 5/6 years, will probably spark him to life again.

All looking good so far, well until he does a runner when he realises how little we expect to pay him

Ā 

Ā 

That's my worry. I hope (hope, not expect) that the club and his agent have spoken and discussed this before we've wasted everyone's time.

:-\Ā  I daren't say a word! I hope the club actually pull this off.

Ā 

Fair to say that there will be a collective sigh of relief across all Dons boards. This guy sounds like exactly the sort of player we are looking for (within reasonable expectations of course!) and we will all be feeling a lot more confident just by adding some bodies into the defence prior to Saturday.

Ā 

Goes to show you cant always judge a game on radio coverage

Ā 

Ā 

Indeed Tom. To be honest I only said the game sounded shite because on the commentary they barely mentioned what was actually happening on thep itch and were telling stories of hookers, horse racing, holidays etc etc.

When we scored one of the boys was half way through a story, and suddenly quietly says " thats a goal for Aberdeen". They didn't have a clue who scored it, couldn't name a single one of trialists, and generally sounded totally disinterested in the whole affair.

Ā 

Pleased to hear we were a lot better than painted as being :thumbsup: